Photo

Recon Question

10 replies to this topic

#1 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

Well I just got a Recon finally(my local stores don't carry ANYTHING).

And I jjust have no idea what to do with it. I'd love to use it as my primary to be honest. I really like how it feels and I can do some external mods to it.(pump action, etc.)

But, I mean i have no creative ideas how to mod this gun. I searched through the mod directory and all of them basically fail to get a decent range improvement.

With the Ars drilled out, my recon is literally getting like 30'.

All I want out of this thing is to:
-fire stefans
-shoot 50'-60'

By the way, has anyone made it stefan compatible yet?

So can someone tell me what I need to do to accomplish my goals?

Thanks in advance.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#2 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

To make it Stefan compatible: use either 2" stefans or mod the clip. Also put a tighter fitting material in the rear portion of the bolt.

This is the best Recon topic, in my opinion. Almost makes me want to buy a Recon. Almost.

#3 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:01 PM

I tried copper barrelling my Recon like SPUNerf did, but it actually decreased ranges, and now it only shoots less than five feet. So I reccomend you don't do that, unless you want a Nerf gun that mimics a kid trying to be like a bird: it flys a little bit, then it falls flat.

However, you can always band it by cutting a spare air restrictor down so that the rod is only a couple millimeters long, gluing it to that little hole on the back of the ARMED post, and wrapping the rubber bands in the notch between the base of the cut-down air restrictor and the back of the ARMED post. A picture:
Posted Image

Don'tcha love Photobucket?
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#4 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

You just have to make sure that the barrel fits your darts properly.

#5 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

I don't really like my Recon. But! If you did a normal screwdriver + hammer AR removal, you're going to get crappy ranges. Once I did CaptainSlug's version (make sure the AR portion of the bolt is smooth) I got like 15-20 feet more. No joke.

I still don't really like the Recon, which is why I'm weary of spending $40 on a Vulcan...
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#6 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

I've heard that the barrel extension actually decreases your ranges so I get the feeling that the pistol is the best configuration because of the small plunger tube.
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#7 themilkman

themilkman

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

What about trying a brass breech like angel's LS?
"I am The Milkman, my milk is delicious"

I had a long hiatus from nerfing from '09-'13

#8 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:24 PM

I remember someone just putting some brass on the bolt (or whatever grabs the dart from the clip...).

The major thing about the brass is the fact the Recon has a pop-gun effect. This means the gun will wait for the pressure to surpass the force of the friction to release the dart when the pressure built up will release on the back of the dart pushing it forward.

*Breathes*

Basically, that's it.

Edited by Lynx, 28 February 2008 - 08:28 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#9 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

Thanks, I'll give CS's removal a go and post my results. I need to find that bit first....
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#10 OberonFox

OberonFox

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

To make it Stefan compatible: use either 2" stefans or mod the clip. Also put a tighter fitting material in the rear portion of the bolt.

This is the best Recon topic, in my opinion. Almost makes me want to buy a Recon. Almost.

Wow, i'm honored actually.

It seems the Recon is a hate it/love it kinda gun. Still loving mine and I get around 60 feet with my added spring.
"I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea."

#11 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

I get about 50' slightly angled with the spring fix that I wrote up (in the directory) and the AR removal, in which I cut the bolt off at the point where the 2 pieces come together and replaced with CPVC. Try shoulder stock mod too, that should show a large increase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users