?wobsulp sdrawkcab a

15 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:29 PM

Okay, so drawing inspiration from Carrtoon's Tec 9 and seeing if I can make something with some leftover +Bow parts I've been tinkering in CAD the past few days. Far fewer parts would have to be machined to make this compared to the +Bow.

I now have this interesting configuration. Which I decided to name the Wob+ (The Backwards +Bow).
Posted Image
Posted Image
The operation is similar to Carrtoon's creation, but I'm avoiding using too many plumbing parts. I did have to switch to a different spring from the one used in the +Bow because it had to be a larger outer diameter and it had to have a lower compression load rating.

The plunger rod is SCH40 PVC pipe with a 12-inch thinwall PETG barrel nested inside of it.

Blaster length: 16" (when not primed)

Plunger Specs
Plunger Chamber ID: 1-3/8"
Draw: 6"
Spring load: 10 lbs

I need to figure out a better way to make the plunger head. Right now I would have to make it out of solid PVC rod lathed to size, but I'll start reading up on different options.
I'll make a prototype after I finish working on a much sillier project.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 26 February 2008 - 12:35 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#2 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:54 PM

I was actually just contemplating making something along these lines, except with readily available plumbing parts.

I need to figure out a better way to make the plunger head. Right now I would have to make it out of solid PVC rod lathed to size, but I'll start reading up on different options.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by using a "solid PVC rod lathed to size," but I was thinking of something akin to Carbon's SNAP-5:

The front of the plunger chamber would be a 1.25" to 1/2" PVC bushing (assuming the plunger chamber is 1.25" PVC), with the 1/2" hole widened slightly to allow the barrel/plunger shaft to slide through easily.

On the rear end of the barrel/plunger rod, you would use a bushing to increase the diameter of the pipe to (if I remember the size Carbon uses correctly) 0.75" PVC, with a 0.75" end cap (with a hole in it) or coupler on that to act as the plunger head.

The problem would be the seal on the plunger head...you couldn't use a standard SNAP washer setup. There are alternatives, of course, but it would make things a little more complicated.

What I am most interested in, Slug, is what you plan to put on the back end of the plunger chamber. Carrtoon used an end cap, of course, but I'm not sure I like that...it's either too hard to take off, or might come off too easily (even flying back when you fire).

Edited by jwasko, 26 February 2008 - 12:56 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

The plunger head has to be PVC cemented to the outside of the SCH40 pipe plunger rod. Rather than try to get plumbing parts sanded down to fit for me it would just be easier to custom make solid pieces using the lathe at work.
I'm hoping to just use the same o-rings I used in the +Bow (1-3/8" OD, 1" ID).

The rear of the plunger chamber is capped with a 1/4" thick polycarbonate frame piece that is bolted to the 1/2" OD rods you see that are above and below the plunger chamber. This puts the impact stress on the frame piece and rods and not the plunger tube itself.
You load a dart into the back of the barrel before priming by hinging the trap door attached to the rear frame piece.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

­

Edited by DarkInfection, 23 June 2010 - 09:56 PM.

#5 Gyrvalcon

Gyrvalcon

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

The new design is rather nifty, but without the Crossbow form factor, I think it loses its original charm.

And what's all this about a much sillier project? Do Tell...
-Knowledge Is Power-

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

This design isn't really in direct competition with the +Bow. It probably won't be shooting as far either since the spring is slightly less than half as powerful.
I just wanted to try making a slightly simpler springer that isn't 3-feet long.

And the silly project is going to remain a secret until it's finished.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 26 February 2008 - 09:22 PM.

#7 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

I would make an adaptable version for the +bow brackets if I was you in this project.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#8 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

I love the look, but it seems terribly unwieldy. Maybe a stock with a hole drilled through for dart loading? You could also do some fun things with BBB-style cocking if you attached a foregrip to the barrel.

Edited by Green Riptide, 26 February 2008 - 09:46 PM.

#9 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:33 AM

When this gun fires the barrel is in the forward position and then will be moving backwards in order to fire the dart, so your free hand should be nowhere near it. A foregrip would have to be added to the grip pieces.

As for a stock, it would have to be really short.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 27 February 2008 - 12:41 AM.

#10 GBscientist

GBscientist

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:33 PM

Doesn't having the barrel move make it difficult to aim?
Pneumatic Armaments Enthusiast

"Peace through Superior Firepower." Arsenal of Freedom ST:TNG

#11 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

You seem to be leaning towards the "trigger on the front" design lately (Arr). Not that I don't like it. Who doesn't like dual-wielding assault/sharpshooter rifles? And given what's happened to b00m13, I am grateful for your well-being. Please don't get amnesia, that would be a big loss of talent and of a "life".
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

The functional issues I see being problematic with this design are due to the priming cycle which is as follows.

1. Load a dart into the barrel by opening the trap door at the rear of the plunger chamber.
2. Prime the plunger/barrel
3. Close trap door

You can't interchange steps 2 and 3 because if you close the trap door prior to priming the plunger the suction on the dart will pull it into the plunger chamber. This would be far less awkward of a cycle if the trap door were spring-loaded and controlled by a thumb switch of some kind.

I'll have to think about how to accomplish that in a simple way.

#13 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

Well, I had an idea involving a clip, but the barrel being surrounded on all sides by the plunger kind of makes things difficult.

On a side note, the first thing to come to mind every time i see this topic is Word of Blake.

#14 themilkman

themilkman

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

Well, I had an idea involving a clip, but the barrel being surrounded on all sides by the plunger kind of makes things difficult.

On a side note, the first thing to come to mind every time i see this topic is Word of Blake.

Every time I see it I think of "World of bitches"... but that's just me....

ANYWHOOO...... What if you tried a loader sort of like a bolt action rifle on the back of the gun?
"I am The Milkman, my milk is delicious"

I had a long hiatus from nerfing from '09-'13

#15 Spectre666

Spectre666

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

Yay, someone else plays Mechassault 2.

On topic: That is a cool idea and all, but I thought you were working no the ARR. I'm still really eager to see that thing when it's done.

Just because you can't see me doesn't mean I'm not there.

"Quoth the Raven,'Nevermore.'" - Edgar Allan Poe

#16 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

I've been revising the small details of the ARR CAD files before I start machining it. My supply of plastic is kind of low so I won't be making anything new out of polycarbonate until I can take another trip to buy more scrap.

I'm rarely working on one thing at a time. I have atleast 4 projects in-progress right now. Some secret, some not Nerf-related, and some I'm making some progress on but not posting about.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 02 March 2008 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users