Photo

"phun"

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

"Phun" is this 2D physics game that has been wasting a ton of my time recently. I usually fire up the soundtrack to Katamari Damacy, start the program, and emerge from my room hours later like some sort of cracked out physics junkie.

It's really quite fun, though. The program allows of a bunch of different kind of physics demonstrations and includes things such as ragdolls, car crashes, and catapults. It probably even has some educational uses, but I've mainly been using it as a time waster (believe me, it works well) It's still a beta, so it's a bit buggy, but not enough to stop it from being enjoyable.

The link to the program is: http://www.acc.umu.s...milk/index.html

Also, as sort of a challenge to the NIC: Who can make the best nerf gun out of Phun? It has a spring function and I was trying to sort of emulate a springer. Once you import this file into Phun, you need to use the drag tool to pull the spring back and see how far you can fling the dart. Here is mine:
http://rapidshare.co...1/Nerf.phn.html

So let's see what you've got!

(Once you save your file, it will be a ".phn" file. The default directory is "C:\Program Files\Phun\Scenes"
I'm using rapidshare to upload mine, and it's a whole 8 KB, so it should be pretty easy to put yours up)

Edited by Jedijoe9, 24 February 2008 - 09:13 PM.

"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

I was trying to get Phun running on my work computer (OSX at home, so no joy there, yet), but wasn't having any luck. Did you have to go through any of the hoops they mention in the FAQ, or did it work straightaway?

It looks fantastic, though...I'm looking forward to wasting time with it. Of course, come to think of it, maybe it's not the best thing to get running on my work computer....
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:27 PM

I didn't have any problems with the install, but I did have some slowdowns once it was installed.

As a general tip for the program: it seems that the farther you zoom in, the quicker the program runs.
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#4 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

Looks like it could be really useful for planning spring based guns.
Anyone tried Linerider? Similar to this. You build a track for a miniature sled, and see if your wild creation will keep it going.
Really fun.
WOOT 100th post.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#5 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

I downloaded "phun" and it is fun.

Nice little time waster.

Pretty fun.

*WOOT* 359th post *WOOT*

Edited by Lynx, 25 February 2008 - 06:00 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#6 anders

anders

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:14 AM

It looks like GMod except it's just 2d. Haha the author is a swedish dude.
QUOTE(VACC @ Aug 16 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post

Does posting in agreement somehow validate your standing in the community? Personally I think it just makes you look like a tool.

the el snapo again

#7 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

To Anders, yeah, I first got linked to phun from facepunch, its very gmod. But I love this game, endlessly amusing, especially the liquefy function. Have phun phucking around in phun.
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#8 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

This is a pretty sweet game.
I just made a nerf gun. It's different than yours, it has a plunger that pushes giant balls. It used to have a trigger mechanism, but it didn't work that well. I can't upload it now, so sorry.

The most unique part about it is how you fire it. On the top and bottom of the plunger, I placed wheels with motors that grip the plunger tube. Using the arrow keys, you control the motors and pull back the plunger and release to fire. The only problem is, while it's pulled back, you have to use the mouse to shove the ball down the barrel quickly, because if you keep spinning the wheels for too long, the plunger glitches out of the gun.

Edited by Captain, 26 February 2008 - 07:28 PM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users