Life Without A Dremel?

What can we use?

19 replies to this topic

#1 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:05 AM

Hey, I was just wondering is there anything we can uses besides a Dremel for that close quarter plastic shredding action?

Edited by joeyaglr444, 23 February 2008 - 09:07 AM.

Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#2 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:57 AM

Im not too sure what others would use but before I got my first rotory tool(a month atleast) I would cut all my thangs with a steak knife, or fishing knife. I would highly recommend notdoing this, because I almost lost my finger.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#3 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:21 AM

A good pair of Tin Snips. Less than $10 at Home Depot and I STILL use it more than my dremel.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#4 Spectre666

Spectre666

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

Im not too sure what others would use but before I got my first rotory tool(a month atleast) I would cut all my thangs with a steak knife, or fishing knife. I would highly recommend notdoing this, because I almost lost my finger.

I second that. I used to usean X-Acto knife, but I almost skinned a finger, and at one point in time sliced open my wrist.

Right now I don't have a Dremel, but I still have the bits, so I use them with my power drill.

Edited by Spectre666, 23 February 2008 - 10:39 AM.

Just because you can't see me doesn't mean I'm not there.

"Quoth the Raven,'Nevermore.'" - Edgar Allan Poe

#5 themilkman

themilkman

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:41 AM

I use an exact-o knife, razor blades. iron files and cuticle slippers( stole 'em from my mom).
"I am The Milkman, my milk is delicious"

I had a long hiatus from nerfing from '09-'13

#6 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:04 AM

Funny thing (I think CaptainSlug mentioned this awhile back), but I find that even with a Dremel motor tool, I make all my larger cuts with a set of diagonal cutters (often called "wire cutters") to make initial material removal, then and only then do I go in with the Dremel to clean up the cuts. It actually takes more time to Dremel off larger pieces.

I started out my Nerf modding with a Roto-Zip tool (basically a large, high-torque Dremel), and found that my cut jobs were more butchered than if I had just sawed them with a jeweler's saw or coping saw. A round file helped to smooth out the cuts.

All things said, I think you could get away with a jeweler's saw and a small set of files. But motorized tools are getting so cheap, I can't understand why a serious hobbyist would try to go without one. Even if it isn't a Dremel brand tool, we don't put so much stress and strain cutting plastic that I could see even a cheapie tool going out early on you.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#7 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

I started out by using "nippy cutters" which are pretty much the same thing as diagnol cutters. I then moved on to a Dremel but like Pineapple said I still start with the cutters then clean up with my Dremel.

#8 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

I use a dremel (actual, I have a "Tool Shop rotary tool, but you know) for detailed cuts and shaping, but I use a standard hacksaw just as often for straight cuts. For minor shaping, an Xacto knife works just fine. Just remember to not force the tool...that's when slips happen...and not cut toward yourself.

I've also used the reamer blade on my pocket tool a lot. The dremel is fast, but it makes a mess....important for someone who builds in his living room.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#9 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

I only have ever used a dremmel less than 5 times and all of those times were for sanding. Everything else, I use a wire cutters. I just don't trust power tools as much as my own body.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#10 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

Whenever I am making straight cuts to a gun shell, I use a hacksaw, it works wonderfully and cuts like a charm. When i'm doing smaller cuts where I am cutting off excess before making the final cut I use a dremel, or if the shell is thicker, hacksaw.
igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#11 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:42 PM

I use dremel bits in my powerdrill aswell.
Works like a dream. A very wet dream.... so not at all actually,
Always falls out of the drill.
I
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#12 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

I use a dremel when I'm making breaches, and that's pretty much it. For everything else I use mini garden shears, a hack saw, and a hobby knife.

Edited by penguin807, 23 February 2008 - 12:52 PM.

#13 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

You can pick up cheap dremels at Canadian tire sometimes.
They have sales like 4 times a year.
My mom noticed they were selling Dremels by a different name for like $20.
I used it on my Doomsayer modification while my other dremel broke.
Never had a problem with it.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#14 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

Funny thing (I think CaptainSlug mentioned this awhile back), but I find that even with a Dremel motor tool, I make all my larger cuts with a set of diagonal cutters (often called "wire cutters") to make initial material removal, then and only then do I go in with the Dremel to clean up the cuts. It actually takes more time to Dremel off larger pieces.

This is correct. I don't even own a rotary tool anymore. I can accomplish the same tasks with wire cutters, hand files, X-acto knives, and if needed some stone grinding bits in my drill press.
I'm of the opinion that dremels are just not very cost effective and make simple tasks more time-consuming and hazardous than they need to be. Plastics should be cut with sharped toothed blades, not abrasive cutting bits or sanding drums.

For everything else there's the scroll saw. Out of all of the tools I have access to I probably use it the most.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 23 February 2008 - 02:18 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#15 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

I probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for my dremel, because it would be almost impossible to do the Magstrike mod without one, due to my limited resources. But yah, if I had other things I would use it for touch ups. But all I've got is the dremel, so I make due with it.

#16 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

I try to use my dremel sparingly since it makes such a big mess. I love my hobby saw that allows me to switch blades to pvc/metal, wood, cement, and drywall. It came with a screw driver attatchments and bits. I would reccomend one of these because it cost a bit under 20 and came with everything needed.

#17 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:51 PM

This is correct. I don't even own a rotary tool anymore. I can accomplish the same tasks with wire cutters, hand files, X-acto knives, and if needed some stone grinding bits in my drill press.
I'm of the opinion that dremels are just not very cost effective and make simple tasks more time-consuming and hazardous than they need to be. Plastics should be cut with sharped toothed blades, not abrasive cutting bits or sanding drums.

For everything else there's the scroll saw. Out of all of the tools I have access to I probably use it the most.

I understand your point but, I speak for myself when I say this, I know that I can't afford a drill press and if i could I definatly would've taken it over a dremel. I think that its a good tool to have for doing a lot of basic mods. If your doing heavy-duty homemade mods or even mods to guns, it is better to have some better equipment.
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#18 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:28 AM

I understand your point but, I speak for myself when I say this, I know that I can't afford a drill press and if i could I definatly would've taken it over a dremel. I think that its a good tool to have for doing a lot of basic mods. If your doing heavy-duty homemade mods or even mods to guns, it is better to have some better equipment.

I think you're missing my underlying message: I think rotary tools are pretty useless for working with plastic. An "all-in-one" tool in my opinion is going to suck at everything except engraving and grinding tasks in very cramped spaces.

From my personal experience hand tools can do the same work cheaper and usually safer if you're working with plastics. Just buy a power drill and one or two grinding bits for it instead. You'll get much more use out of that tool.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 February 2008 - 03:34 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#19 Wisey

Wisey

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

Posted Image
These are pretty much what CS and Piney were talking about. Mine are specificly for cutting plastic though, they're not marketed as wire cutters although I dout this makes any difference. They infact come from a Warhammer starter paint set (no, i'm not a nerd, Warhammer sucks, I had two sets when I was about 9... 9 years ago) and they are very good, suppriseingly.

Dremel's suck. Stay old skool.

Edited by Wisey!, 24 February 2008 - 09:35 AM.

#20 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

A dremel is simply just not 'all that'. It is hard to control to make a straight cut, and it is so easy to have it slip because it is motorized, and moves around a bit in your hand, you know? And once I did a lot of cutting with my dremel, and I swear, another half hour, and I would have had carpel tunnel syndrome.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users