Firearm Accuracy/precision

Are you a dead eye?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

Hi, this topic is for showing off how accurate you are with a firearm. There have been topics like "do you like firearms", or "Which do you prefer, shooting, or nerf?" Just list the peramiters in the following format, and show a picture.
The format should be like this. (this is my example target)
Caliber: 22 long rifle
Action: Semi-auto.
Scope: Yes, 4 power
Distance: 50 yrds.
Target Diameter: 3 inches
Date shot (optional): Today
Posted Image
I wouldn't say I am a "dead shot", but I think I am not half bad for a 13 year old, right?

Edited by Bomberman, 23 February 2008 - 04:40 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#2 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

No picture, I didn't get to keep the target

Caliber: .22 LR
Scope: No, iron sites.
Distance: 25 yrds.
Target Diameter: No clue.
Date shot: Two summers ago.
Grouping: Smaller than the size of a quarter.

Edited by Maeric, 22 February 2008 - 08:41 PM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#3 saxynerfer

saxynerfer

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

I shoot skeet and sporting clays with a Stoeger Condor 20 Guage. My best score for skeet is 21, and the best for sporting clays is 61. I won some plaques and a belt buckle. I would post my targets, but they're mostly in a million pieces.

I just usually bang mine against some sort of ananimaite object untill it eventually breaks off.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

It's not a good idea to use a scope for anything closer than 100 yards.

Caliber: .22 long rifle
Scope: No, just aperture sights
Distance: 100 yrds.
Target Diameter: 6 inches
Date shot (optional): 2 years ago
Score average: 96%

I need o work squeezing the trigger instead of pulling it.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

Man, you guys sound like awesome shooters! I just need to work on breathing. That is my main problem. And most of the time I don't use my scope. But I used it today and rocked it at 100 yards. I just posted my 50 yard target because it was my best grouping. (and it was the only one I saved...)

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#6 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

I could show y'all my friends target...
here it is.
Posted Image
Caliber: BB Gun
Scope: No?
Distance: About two inches
Target Diameter: My arm
Date shot (optional): last year.

He was drunk as hell and i didn't know that he had his BB gun... We were in the back of my truck when he up and shot me.
I was pissed.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#7 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

Posted Image
Firearm: Antique "Trapdoor Springfield" (I believe it is an 1877 model)
Caliber: .45/70 Government (best caliber ever!)
Rear Sight: Not too sure of the name, but as far as a little research tells me, it is an 1884 Buffington aperture sight.
Distance: 100 yrds.
Target Diameter: uh...it's 16" wide, and really tall (more on that later)
Date shot: First week of January, 2008
Position: Off a bench, on an improvised rest.

Additional Comments:
My dad borrowed the rifle from a friend. I don't have any actual pictures, but it is very similar to this one. The only reason I have the picture of the target is that I went back to school (the semester was just beginning) without looking at the target. He used the orange and grapefruit as a size comparison, since he had said my group was "about the size of a grapefruit."

The rear sight, for those who are curious, looks like this (from this website). The site was just a little (/sarcasm) off; using the peep sight at it's lowest setting (the open sight actually shot higher), it was still shooting about 20" high.

I don't really care about the accuracy, though. That thing was a dream to shoot and the trigger was so smooth and just the right strength (not too light and not too hard). I could tell right when it was going to fire; I had so much fun that day! It's too bad I don't get out to the range often...I hadn't shot for months before that target, and haven't shot since.

This has the potential to be a fun thread; I want to see what you guys are using to shoot, not just the caliber! Hope there are some more antique/reproduction shooters...

As an aside to Slug: Yeah, that can be quite difficult. My dad once told me (specifically talking about an unloaded semi-auto handgun) that one should be able to rest a coin on the slide (which is rounded, mind you), and squeeze the trigger without causing the coin to fall. He really could do it, too.

PS: Group size is more a measure of precision than accuracy. Accuracy means that you are close to the center of the target. So, that rifle was very inaccurate but (somewhat, at least) precise.

Edited by jwasko, 22 February 2008 - 10:02 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#8 StephenColbert

StephenColbert

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

I haven't really shot much at targets (other then to sight in my gun), but I do hunt deer. I have shot at a deer 5 times in my life, 3 times hitting the heart, once through both lungs, and one that I missed altogether. I was 12 when I shot the one I missed, but I was gripped with buck fever.

Oh, and I use a Remington .270
Write me in for President!
Colbert 08'

#9 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

Hey, I found another target of mine that was from about a month ago. I have a lot better grouping on this one than the one in my first post.
EDIT: okay, I got it. It is sooo easy to resize on Photobucket!
Posted Image

Edited by Bomberman, 22 February 2008 - 11:44 PM.

#10 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:12 AM

Caliber: .22 bolt (loaded one bullet at a time)
Scope: No, open sights
Distance: 50 feet
Target Diameter: Irrelevant, five shots in a dime grouping (dime must cover all holes)
Date shot (optional): Every summer

#11 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:17 AM

Caliber: Rem. 7MM Mag
Scope: Yes, 5xDistance: 250 Yards min. 300 Yards max (not too sure how far it was, didn't care to find out)
Target Diameter: A deer, got heart and one lung (diagonal shot)Date shot (optional): November 23rd 2007 Best shot I've ever made with that gun.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#12 Spectre666

Spectre666

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

Hi, this topic is for showing off how accurate you are with a firearm. There have been topics like "do you like firearms", or "Which do you prefer, shooting, or nerf?" Just list the peramiters in the following format, and show a picture.
The format should be like this. (this is my example target)
Caliber: .22 long rifle
Scope: Yes, 4 power
Target Diameter: 3 inches
Date shot (optional): Today
Posted Image
I wouldn't say I am a "dead shot", but I think I am not half bad for a 13 year old, right?

I got something like that when I was 7, and then again when I was 8, but with a 30 cal. bolt action, scoped.

Just because you can't see me doesn't mean I'm not there.

"Quoth the Raven,'Nevermore.'" - Edgar Allan Poe

#13 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:40 PM

Caliber: unknown
Target: playing card
Grouping: all within 1' of center diamond
Scope: unknown, grandfathers gun, badly sighted
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#14 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:13 PM

Caliber: 22
Target: NRA targets used at the camp
Grouping: 5 shots within a dime
Sights: Iron friggin sights man. The only way to shoot.

Shotgun:

Gauge: 20 and 12
Target: skeet
Best: 5/5 Multiple times

I did work on a rifle range 4 years ago, we also had a shotgun range. I did so some scope shooting, I like iron sights more than scopes. However I did a bunch of shooting before. Also back in 2001 at the National Scout Jamboree I did exceptionally well at the shotgun ranges. I was 11 at the time.

I'm more of a sticks and feathers kinda guy when it comes to potentially lethal shooting. I have a 65 lb. compound bow at home as well as a 25 lb. re curve bow. I've gotten 5 arrows within the standard 10 ring target's bull's eye. I also hunt squirrels with my compound in my backyard. Dark meat is good.

However in all reality it is accuracy that matters more than precision, however if you can get both, then you're golden.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#15 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

I don't alot of plain target shooting. Trap is my game

I can easily get a good 20/25 on a bad day when trap shooting.

I use a Browning BPS trap model with the 30" barrel (Yes. It is one HUGE gun) and that is a 20 gauge.

I have also gotten 17 two rounds of 25 in a row with my friends dads Remington 870 WingMaster, which is a damn fine gun and anyone who has a chance to shoot one should take up that offer.

I have also used my friends Bennelli Nova 20 gauge pump. Another great gun, but not quite the beast like the 870. Still, hitting about a 15-20 range on trap.

Hard to shot pictures of this because of obvious reasons.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#16 pwnchu

pwnchu

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:03 AM

I am a pretty bad shot.

-Bolt Action Rifle/Bow: not that good.

-Tried shotgun once but missed all the clay pigeons.

-I never got a tomahawk to stick.

Edited by pwnchu, 24 February 2008 - 03:06 AM.

#17 Cennipe

Cennipe

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:17 PM

I'd say I'm not bad.

Firearm: CZ 452 FS
Caliber: 22lr
Scope Power: 14
Target Diameter: 3/4 inch
Date shot: few weeks ago
Position: Off a bench, front bag

Five shot groups. Used Fedral Gold Medal ammo.

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Cennipe, 26 February 2008 - 06:17 PM.

"Man, a being in search of meaning" Pluto

My user name is pronounced "eat shit." I know that losing is looked down apon in nerf, but, what ever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users