Photo

Tek-4 Repair And Singling

A write up while stalling on other things.

4 replies to this topic

#1 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

I have several big projects in the works but here is something I have done in the meantime. Repairing and singling a broken Tek-4 that I got for fifty cents at a thrift store.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take the gun and open it up.

Posted Image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strip down the components and remove the plunger apart. It is a little tricky to get the plunger head open but its not to bad.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next take the plunger head assembly and dremmel out the back (the place where the old priming rod went) making it large enough to fit your dowel rod into.

Posted Image

I used a ½ dowel rod. It was a really tight fit in the head and the spring doesn’t have to much room to bounce around on. I also added a small headed screw to give the new plunger rod something else to keep it in place other then just being tightly rammed down plunger head.

Posted Image

Dremmel out the back of the gun’s case so that the dowel rod can pass smoothly threw. Try to make it as small as you can and as smooth as you can, it will keep the spring from trying to go out the back of the case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you make the hole to big, like I did, then go a head and cut a really short piece of CPVC. Run it down the rod to the spring to help keep the spring in the case. You can even glue one to the back of the case to help even more.

I added a Double Shot spring which fit exactly. YOU WOULD BE VERY WISE TO REINFORCE THE CATCH if you add another spring. Mine broke after only firing it three times. So I really think it would be a good idea to reinforce even if you don’t add another spring.

Posted Image

Now take the plunger tube and remove the turret. Then cut the end off the tube as close the orange as you can get.
Posted Image

Then take a ½ PVC coupler and glue it onto the plunger tube, it’s a snug and perfect fit.

Posted Image

Dremmel out the case as needed to fit the new plunger tube assembly and then glue it down so it won’t go any where.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Slap on a barrel of your choosing and there you go all done.

Posted Image

It still didn’t get great ranges with the stock spring but I added a double shot spring and got a little more range. About 35-40 feet I suspect. I only got off two shots before the catch broke though so I am not sure on the average distance.

One thing I did notice that with the stock spring you can hardly hear this gun when it goes off. It is really quiet at least as quite as an air gun if not quieter.
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#2 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

Is the orange ring the catch? If it is couldn't you remove or shorted the dead space in between that and the plunger head to get a longer pull and thus more range?

#3 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

You may want to drill a hole in the cocking rod and add a ring of some sort so it is easier to cock.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#4 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

i found the same gun at a thrift store for .50... i guess thrift stores just want to get rid of them... such low prices. anyways... how do you reinforce it? could i do it even if i dont have any sort of power tool? my dremel sucks.

#5 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:18 AM

Is the orange ring the catch? If it is couldn't you remove or shorted the dead space in between that and the plunger head to get a longer pull and thus more range?

The back one is yes. You could cut it yes, but I decide for now against such action, manly because it would require me to put more screws to reinforce it, and I was afraid it might foul up the cocking.

You may want to drill a hole in the cocking rod and add a ring of some sort so it is easier to cock.

I am going to throw on a CPVC 1/2 T when I get the catch fixed.

i found the same gun at a thrift store for .50... i guess thrift stores just want to get rid of them... such low prices. anyways... how do you reinforce it? could i do it even if i dont have any sort of power tool? my dremel sucks.

Well I think the best bet would be either sheet metal or maby epoxy putty. Eventualy I am going to open it up and repair it at some point but for now its on in the doomed drawer of things to be fixed. Which means it may sit there for months... I have other projects I am far more intrested in.
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users