Rfr

barrel...

14 replies to this topic

#1 Spyder Snyper

Spyder Snyper

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

So im doing the rfr mod (http://nerfhaven.com...topic=10243&hl=) with new spring and that kind of stuff. But this mod told me to saw off my barrel until it hits the foregrip. What will this do to the range? Or is it just for looks...

Edited by Spyder Snyper, 20 February 2008 - 04:34 PM.

------------------------> ! @m 0wn@g3 <---------------------------

#2 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

Depends on the gun, barrel lengths should vary between each gun because each gun has its own amount of power that it can get out of it. For the future you might want to post a link to the mod or photos of your problem.
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#3 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

Well, being the guy that did this, I may as well help out. I'm no scientist, but I know that the longer barrels on the RFR and the DS tend to catch on the dart and send it fishtailing. This obviously kills the range so cutting it down and sticking a piece of 1/2" PVC in it (and cutting it off at the end of the stock barrel) should fix it and actually sends the dart out more accurately than with the stock barrel.

If anyone need ANY help with this mod or any of my future mods(hehehe), just feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help you out.

PS. Don't forget to reinforce the catch!

Edited by deaddumpster, 20 February 2008 - 04:39 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#4 Spyder Snyper

Spyder Snyper

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Well, being the guy that did this, I may as well help out. I'm no scientist, but I know that the longer barrels on the RFR and the DS tend to catch on the dart and send it fishtailing. This obviously kills the range so cutting it down and sticking a piece of 1/2" PVC in it (and cutting it off at the end of the stock barrel) should fix it and actually sends the dart out more accurately than with the stock barrel.

If anyone need ANY help with this mod or any of my future mods(hehehe), just feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help you out.

PS. Don't forget to reinforce the catch!

How do you reinforce the catch? is it easier to jsut not for a noob like myself? :lol:

Edited by Spyder Snyper, 20 February 2008 - 09:16 PM.

#5 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

Well, I didn't end up doing it, so the catch snapped in two.

Your best bet would be to take some brass sheeting or something along those lines, cut it down to size, bend it to the shape of the catch and glue it on with some powerful-ass adhesive.

It shouldn't be too difficult if you've got some sort of tool that can cut metel (i.e. Dremel) and a pair of pliers to shape the metal to the catch, a hammer can also be used for said purpose.

Edited by deaddumpster, 20 February 2008 - 09:16 PM.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#6 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

To reiterate what deaddumpster said, except a bit more specific (no offense to deaddumpster intended): Find aluminum or brass sheeting above 25 gauge (can be found in the insulation or roofing area of your local hardware store), bend it and cut it to the shape(s) needed, apply the shape(s) to the inside surface(s) using a heavy duty adhesive such as plumbers goop, fishin' glue, or various other epoxies such as JB Weld, etc.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#7 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, around there would be perfect, I was checking out brass sheeting on the weekend and 25 guage seemed- in the words of Goldilocks- just right. I just can't seem to find Fishin' Glue, but I found something of similar strength, just in a smaller container at a nearby dollar store.

#8 ltvills

ltvills

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

It does increase the range because sadly The barrel is not realy good... you can replace it with a better sealed barrel or even just leave it minimized for easy storage
Retired Australian Nerfer Due To University
=[

#9 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:19 AM

I think I should point out that if you use normal 1/2 PVC suction cup darts will no longer fire out of the gun, only streamlines and stefans will work. Because the inner diameter of 1/2 PVC is to small to allow suction cup dart to pass easily.
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#10 Spyder Snyper

Spyder Snyper

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

If I just saw off the barrel and don't open the gun, would it still work and maybe get a little more range?

#11 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

It would still work, but I don't think you would see any change in range. The accuracy will take a hit if you don't have a barrel, though. There's really no point in cutting or changing the gun without modding the plunger/spring, because no barrel = no accuracy, and a good barrel needs a stronger spring on the plunger to be effective. (The stock barrel does not touch the dart, so a weak spring is "fine." Once you start having the barrel touch the dart, you need a stronger spring to provide the force to overecome that friction and still get appreciable range and accuracy.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#12 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

Yes that will work.
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#13 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

The barrel and anything else you put on it becomes a mock barrel,
Barrels are meant to increase range and accuracy. By cutting the barrel short you ensure no fishtailing or severely decrease the chances. which is better but don't count on adding any range just by cutting the barrel or and adding a new one.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#14 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

I think I should point out that if you use normal 1/2 PVC suction cup darts will no longer fire out of the gun, only streamlines and stefans will work. Because the inner diameter of 1/2 PVC is to small to allow suction cup dart to pass easily.

not true. i use a peice of pvc as a blowgun for suctions and taggers.

#15 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:02 PM

not true. i use a peice of pvc as a blowgun for suctions and taggers.

I have not had a problem with taggers in so much as I have with suctions. Whether or not they will go down the PVC depends on the EXACT size of the I.D. if the PVC which varies a hair from brand to brand. But for the most part I haven't had any luck with suction cups in 1/2 PVC. Something always gets caught and that cuts down on the dart speed. Just for the record I am using thick walled 1/2 PVC.

I hate to digress from the thread so much but I thought I would explain why I said that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users