Are their any mods does anyone have experience with this gun

27 replies to this topic

#1 nerfatwork

nerfatwork

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

Good Morning Everyone,

Just saw a pic of a gun that we have never seen before and was wondering if you guys could shed some light. We figured it out that it was a Vortex Firestorm. Unfortunately we can't find many articles on this gun, I'm guessing because it is old. Not sure what thesse spinfire darts are that it shoots, have you ever known of someone or have any of you ever modded one of these guns. We're still pretty new to nerf so never heard of this gun before and we were thinking about trying to get it to shoot stefans. Any input would be very helpful.

Thanks

#2 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

I don't own one, but I have a pretty good Idea how it works. First off, you can NOT mod it to shoot stefans. It shoots spinfire rings. I THINK that the barrel thing spins, which sends the ring flying.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#3 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:09 PM

I don't own one, but I have a pretty good Idea how it works. First off, you can NOT mod it to shoot stefans. It shoots spinfire rings. I THINK that the barrel thing spins, which sends the ring flying.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I use to have the gay purple one with two barrels. The blaster doesnot spin but simplely used extension springs to go extremely fast
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#4 nerfatwork

nerfatwork

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

So does it not utilize a plunger spring system? How does the barrel rotate since I take it each ring is in its own slot. Can't find very many pics on the internal workings. Thinking about integrating a plunger system since the slide is built into the stock

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

Posted Image
http://nerfhq.com/wi...title=Firestorm

Blaster such as this one that shoot vortex rings are pretty pointless to modify.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 18 February 2008 - 06:10 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Nerfcenter has a rather good writeup of this gun.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 nerfatwork

nerfatwork

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:03 AM

thanks everyone, I will post the mod once I get it to shoot darts, I really just like the outer shell and will integrate something into it.

#8 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

What? You could sell it for 70$ but its going to be cool when your done. Good luck!
Timothy M-Lick <3

#9 nerfatwork

nerfatwork

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

What? You could sell it for 70$ but its going to be cool when your done. Good luck!

Sell it for 70 dollars, is it that rare, does anyone want to buy it from me for 70 dollars. The mod would be cool but I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#10 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

Sell it for 70 dollars, is it that rare, does anyone want to buy it from me for 70 dollars. The mod would be cool but I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

This shall be siggified!
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#11 rockfordnerfer

rockfordnerfer

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

I do have one of these and have tried to mod it to shoot darts. It is now scrap parts.

The good things: Very powerful spring. When I get back into my attic I'm going to take the spring out of the one I opened to try in either my longshot or BBB.

The bad things: 1)No plunger assembly. This would need to be built entirely from scratch. 2)It's glued closed the ENTIRE way around. Meaning you need to cut and crack the shell open. On my gun, this resulted in lots of broken bits and a very aesthetically ugly weapon. 3)The big purple priming handle is very difficult to get back together completely. I haven't been able to put it back together, which is why it is now scrap parts.

My suggestion: Get some spinfire rings and enjoy it as it is.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Oh, I had also removed the plastic piece that holds the ring pusher on the firing mechanism. The ring pusher is this 5 or 6 prong plasic piece. Anyways, the ring pusher was fired so hard that it embedded itself about half a centimeter into the wall of my old apartment.
A broken gun just means more parts for the other ones.

#12 nerfatwork

nerfatwork

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for your input, I figured I would try to put a nite finder or longshot plunger assembly into the gun. Do you think that would work I haven't taken it apart yet but I'm excited about the spring your talking about. Not sure where to get spinfire rings from. Also I have no idea Bomberman is talking about

This shall be siggified!

I don't understand.

#13 rockfordnerfer

rockfordnerfer

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

Thanks for your input, I figured I would try to put a nite finder or longshot plunger assembly into the gun. Do you think that would work I haven't taken it apart yet but I'm excited about the spring your talking about. Not sure where to get spinfire rings from. Also I have no idea Bomberman is talking about

This shall be siggified!

I don't understand.

He turned your quote into his signature.

The firestorm was designed specifically to fire the spinfire rings. You would be much better off using the spring in a longshot than putting the longshot plunger into the firestorm, as it will be far more work for less than optimal ressult. The longshot is designed for a plunger assembly, the firestorm is not. The longshot is designed for darts, the firestorm is not. The longshot is designed for a high rate of fire, the firestorm will be difficult to modify for a high rate of fire with darts.

I'm not saying that it can't be done. Someone with the proper tools, resources and extensive modification experience could make it happen. I just don't see the point.

#14 themilkman

themilkman

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:40 AM

The firestorm was designed specifically to fire the spinfire rings. You would be much better off using the spring in a longshot than putting the longshot plunger into the firestorm, as it will be far more work for less than optimal ressult. The longshot is designed for a plunger assembly, the firestorm is not. The longshot is designed for darts, the firestorm is not. The longshot is designed for a high rate of fire, the firestorm will be difficult to modify for a high rate of fire with darts.

I'm not saying that it can't be done. Someone with the proper tools, resources and extensive modification experience could make it happen. I just don't see the point.

I had a firestorm and I lost all of the rings and so it was useless until about 2 months ago when I, out of random genius, completely gutted the sucker for its ridiculously strong spring and put it in my longshot. After that it almost doubled the usual range of the gun. Unless you want to put your brain through all of that strain of trying to make it shoot darts then I would suggest you do what I did... but open the shell very carefully bc there might be ppl out there who want the shell to integrate something cool into it <_<
"I am The Milkman, my milk is delicious"

I had a long hiatus from nerfing from '09-'13

#15 nerfatwork

nerfatwork

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

For shits and giggles you optimist!

I posted this to get some feedback on the gun. Thanks for all of the naysaying opinions, as for the extensive modification experience comment. Who do you think you guys are its not like this is a complicated hobby, it doesn't take a genius to modify a childrens toy, its not like your Leonardo. I jsut thought it would be fun to make one to shoot darts since no one else has. Thanks for the creativity.

Edited by nerf@work, 21 February 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#16 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

Then how about you try it, asshole.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#17 rockfordnerfer

rockfordnerfer

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

I posted this to get some feedback on the gun. Thanks for all of the naysaying opinions, as for the extensive modification experience comment. Who do you think you guys are its not like this is a complicated hobby, it doesn't take a genius to modify a childrens toy, its not like your Leonardo. I jsut thought it would be fun to make one to shoot darts since no one else has. Thanks for the creativity.

I want to apologize if you think I'm being rude or if I made it seem like you are unable to perform this modification. I never said I was Leonardo, I actually stated that I was unable to mke the idea work. i don't know anything about your modding skills, as I haven't seen any posts in which you have shown off any mods. That gives me the impression that it's something that you may be fairly new at. When I started modifying nerf guns I thought it would be the simplest thing in the world. I have a dremel and a hot glue gun and a pile of nerf guns just waiting to be bastardized into obscene monstrosities of their former selves. But it's not that easy. It takes practice. It takes time. It takes money and resources. It takes a lot of mechanical skill.

You asked for feedback considering your concept. That's EXACTLY what you got. From someone who tried it.

If you are dead set on doing this mod, then like keef said, shut up and do it. But don't act all pussy hurt because other people don't see it as practical.

Edited by rockfordnerfer, 21 February 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#18 themilkman

themilkman

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:37 PM

I want to apologize if you think I'm being rude or if I made it seem like you are unable to perform this modification. I never said I was Leonardo, I actually stated that I was unable to mke the idea work. i don't know anything about your modding skills, as I haven't seen any posts in which you have shown off any mods. That gives me the impression that it's something that you may be fairly new at. When I started modifying nerf guns I thought it would be the simplest thing in the world. I have a dremel and a hot glue gun and a pile of nerf guns just waiting to be bastardized into obscene monstrosities of their former selves. But it's not that easy. It takes practice. It takes time. It takes money and resources. It takes a lot of mechanical skill.

You asked for feedback considering your concept. That's EXACTLY what you got. From someone who tried it.

If you are dead set on doing this mod, then like keef said, shut up and do it. But don't act all pussy hurt because other people don't see it as practical.

AMEN!!!
"I am The Milkman, my milk is delicious"

I had a long hiatus from nerfing from '09-'13

#19 nerfatwork

nerfatwork

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

[/quote]

I have a job so i can't really just sit around all day and call people assholes and accuse them of acting "pussy hurt". Which by the way I have never heard that term used like that, I always that you need a subject such as "Does your pussy hurt?" I lost the ebay bid so I don't have one, but if anyone does have one I would love to buy it so I can be the asshole that got it to shoot darts while acting pussy hurt.

Edited by nerf@work, 22 February 2008 - 10:02 AM.

#20 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

If you put any other internals into the firestorm, that isn't,"modding" it. You are showing off what your Firestorm shell posesses. It is an integration. What I'm saying is, if you put a LS plunger tube in your Firestorm, it isn't a Firestorm, it's an LS.

This gun has a plastic disc that shoots forward, pushing a ring. What are you going to do, lay a stefan on it and watch it flop a few inches?

The gun is usually known for it's rareness, ROF, and accuracy. NOT for it's modding ability.

Edited by xNFx 37, 22 February 2008 - 10:09 AM.

it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#21 nerfatwork

nerfatwork

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

If you put any other internals into the firestorm, that isn't,"modding" it. You are showing off what your Firestorm shell posesses. It is an integration. What I'm saying is, if you put a LS plunger tube in your Firestorm, it isn't a Firestorm, it's an LS.

This gun has a plastic disc that shoots forward, pushing a ring. What are you going to do, lay a stefan on it and watch it flop a few inches?

The gun is usually known for it's rareness, ROF, and accuracy. NOT for it's modding ability.

Thanks for you clarification, I didn't know semantics was so importants on this site, but then again I thought this was a community to celebrate creatvity not downing someones ideas and telling them that they are going to watch their gun shoot a stefan and flop a few inches. Their is tons of ideas on this place that I think are gay, but I don't berate people and tell them that they're idea is gay. But thanks for your comments they really helped me out.

#22 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Any input would be very helpful.

Thanks

When you asked for input it mean all kinds. Not just the good but the negative also. The people who have posted in this are actually helping you. The one guy said that he tried to make his fire Stephans and it failed, badly. If you want to try it then go for it. Putting post like your last one does nothing to help, it just makes people mad.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#23 rockfordnerfer

rockfordnerfer

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:28 PM

First off, I have a full-time job. I am a social worker at a nursing home for individuas with severe mental illnesses.

Second, no one called your idea gay. It was referred to as impractical and inneficient.

Third, it is impossible for an inanimate object or a concept, with no discernable gender, sexual organ, or self-awareness to develop a sexual orientation.

Perhaps if someone had the idea to mount a penis on one gun and integrate it into another gun, such that the penis of the first gun coupled with an anus mounted on the second gun, that second gun also having a penis mounted on it, could be considered gay.

#24 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

What the fuck?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#25 rockfordnerfer

rockfordnerfer

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

What the fuck?

Sorry, I'm tired of all these 16 year olds calling everything gay like it's an acceptable substitute for calling something bad.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users