Sm3k Mod

Changeable barrels

7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:13 PM

I always wanted a sm3k that shot megas, but I knew that micros are more commonly used. I came up with an idea to make the 1/2 barrels changeable with petg and cpvc.
This mod is for being able to use different barrel materials/types, not to breech load each individual barrel, you still load these from the top.

For this mod you will need,
- 8 cpvc couplers
- 8, 4 inch lengths of 1/2" pvc
- some cpvc
- plumbers goop
- zap-a-gap/fishin'/crazy glue
- e tape
- a hack saw and dremmel
- a pair of pliers

I found this gun at a thrift store and immediately got to work
Posted Image

Here are the guns internals
Posted Image

The main part of the gun that we will be working on is the turret. You need to pry off the orange cap on top before we can do anything to it. It should look like this
Posted Image

Next I just ripped all the barrels off with a pair of pliers, unscrewed the screws in back of the turret, and removed the blue barrel sheath.
Posted Image

I cut the remaining barrels down to about 1/2"
Posted Image

This part is a little bit tedious and annoying, take your 8 couplers over to a mitre box and cut 1/4 of the coupler off, not 1/4", 1/4 of the coupler
Posted Image

Next you need to cut 8, 1" segments of cpvc. Pipe cutters make this really easy. then put the 1" segments into the short side of the couplers and use some type of super glue and glue where the cpvc and the couplers meet.
Posted Image

Wrap e-tape around the small stubs of cpvc and cut the excess off with scissors.
Posted Image

Put a ring of plumbers goop around the bottom of the cpvc, and stick it into the turret. Do this with all 8, then put the blue cover back on
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, on to making the barrels.

Cut 8, 4" lengths of 1/2" pvc, and 8, 1" lengths of cpvc. take you 1" of cpvc and put it into a coupler, hammer on the 1/2 pvc, then remove the coupler. I also sanded down the little "lip" left by the pipe cutters so it was even around the bottom.
Posted Image

Stick the barrels into the couplers and it should look like this. I also did the bic pen mod, and I put some etape
tightly wrapped around all the barrels for stability.
Posted Image

You can put some petg in the pvc, or use some cpvc directly in the couplers.

Ranges are decent:
Mega- 46'
Micro in 4.5" PETG- 65'
Micro in cpvc- 62'

Ranges are not as good as I would have liked, but I didn't plug the pump, and I measured in freezing conditions.

I think that this gun is decent a decent gun, I wouldn't use it in an outdoor war, but it would be great in an indoor war.

Here's some more pics for refrence when putting it back together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dr. Moose, 17 February 2008 - 11:25 PM.

QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Apr 29 2008, 01:24 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kid Flash @ Apr 27 2008, 06:11 PM) View Post

What is the best way to go at removing a stump without any power tools? Thanks ahead of time!

Be a man! Use your hands!

#2 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:45 PM

finally some good pics of the inside... mine i got at a thrift store and it leaked... im replacing the tubing soon but couldnt get it back together in the meantime... thanks so much. you saved me...

back on with your mod... does this really make reloading easier? i mean it takes a bit of force to get pvc out of a coupler. wouldnt it be easier to just pop a dart in? either way. good job.

#3 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:22 PM

This mod isn't to make reloading any easier, you are still supposed to put the dart down the front of the barrel, I used the couplers because I wanted to be able to use different types of barrels, and fire micros or megas.

What is the best way to go at removing a stump without any power tools? Thanks ahead of time!

#4 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:19 AM

Dang you beat me to it by 2 days!!!
I just finished my "contribution to NH yesterday!
Same thing, tho my pump was broken so I externalized it, made a removable PVC stock (coupler)
and made nested petg barrels.
Nice work though.
I plugged the pump, but had major leak issues so I gooped all the connectors, and replaced the old, cracked vinyl with newer stuff.
Good job.
Also one more thing.
Did you replace the vinyl tubing? Mine was opaque and white stock...

Edited by mystefansdontflystraight, 18 February 2008 - 08:58 AM.

QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#5 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:25 AM

Nice, very nice.

Was it extremely hard to get your CPVC into your PVC? Mine doesn't seem like it would go in at all; it would prbably crack the PVC before going in...
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#6 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

What are the ranges if you were to use steffans?
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#7 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

Was it extremely hard to get your CPVC into your PVC? Mine doesn't seem like it would go in at all; it would prbably crack the PVC before going in...

Just sand out a little of the inside lip of the 1/2" pvc, then hammer on the pvc, but put the cpvc in a coupler before hammering the pvc on top
Posted Image

What are the ranges if you were to use steffans?

I'm sorry if I didn't specify, I used mega and micro stefans, but they seemed a little loose, so maybe ranges could be a bit higher

Edited by Dr. Moose, 18 February 2008 - 02:21 PM.

#8 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

I'm sorry if I didn't specify, I used mega and micro stefans, but they seemed a little loose, so maybe ranges could be a bit higher

Oh. Well nice write up anyways
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users