Photo

Two And A Half Homemades

My first ventures into the nerf community.

37 replies to this topic

#26 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

If it's all about plunger size then the Maverick shouldn't be any good now should it?

Well, it isn't any good. Neither are the scout, crossfire, or longshot front gun which all share the same plunger.

What I am agruing is that airsoft guns, if they have a proper barrel for nerf darts, can exceed stock Nerf ranges with ease.

That's not difficult to accomplish considering STOCK Nerf guns can't shoot past 40 feet. We're used to modifying them to shoot beyond 60-70 feet.

Modifying a $40 Airsoft Springer to get ranges below 60 feet makes no sense at all considering you can buy a Nerf Big Bad Bow for $20 (spring-powered) and modify it to get 80+ feet. Or better still you can buy a Big Blast (pneumatic) for $9 and easily modify it to shoot 120 feet.

I think you're confused about what kind of ranges Nerf guns can actually achieve. It IS all about plunger size and spring strength. The upper limit for a spring-powered Nerf gun is around 130 to 160 feet if you have the right size plunger, spring, and barrel.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 26 February 2008 - 12:53 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#27 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

Ah, I see now. It would be more possible to get more power from a larger plunger and a larger/powerful spring. But if I can get 60ft out my MP5, if I upgrade it can surely get over 100ft. My MP5 shoots BB's up to 300fps, other airsoft guns can shoot them at around 400fps, some go up to 500fps. I am pretty sure THOSE can challange the 100ft mark with Nerf Darts.

I will be getting a Echo1 G36C sometime this week. I am going to see if I can modify the barrel to hold a nerf dart and see what range it can get. It's supposed to have a higher FPS then my MP5 does.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#28 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

Why would I be agruing that? This is a nerf forum is it not?

Yeah, it is. You were also using FPS ratings in talking about your AS guns (which are ammo specific), so I wanted to clarify.

Interesting results...but the cost to benefit ratio is pretty high. Still, good to know for airsoft/nerfers.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#29 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

The size of the shotgun's plunger is approximately that of a Firefly's, that is even smaller than the Nitefinder's, it does have a decent spring though. The most I can see it hitting is 60', it just isn't worth it.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#30 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

I will see if I can rig up my Echo1 G36C that'll be coming in a few days to fire Nerf darts, it should be able to fire 0.2g airsoft ammo at 350FPS, which is faster then my current airsoft gun that can currently hit 50-60ft. I am willing to bet that my new gun will get even further ranges, because my MP5 is actually on the lowers end of airsoft scale.

The problem with airsoft guns aren't the size of the plunger, it's their cost compared to what you can get if you just modified a nerf gun as CaptainSlug pointed out. I am willing to bet good money that a airsoft gun firing 400fps can go far over 70ft if properly modified to fire nerf darts.

#31 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:27 PM

Can I have the G36 when you kill it? But seriously. That means that if a NF had a perfect seal you could hit about 150ft? No. Get it right dude.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#32 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

How many FPS does a NF modded airsoft scumbag go?
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#33 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:52 PM

Can I have the G36 when you kill it?

Why would I have to kill it to fire a nerf dart? My MP5 isn't ruined, it works just fine as airsoft gun and as a nerf gun. An airsoft barrel does fine job of transporting the air from the gearbox to the tip of the barrel, what I'll need to do is afix a larger barrel to the end of it that'll hold a dart like my Mp5 can. If I ruin anything, I'll ruin the outer barrel of it. Which I can easily replace.

That means that if a NF had a perfect seal you could hit about 150ft? No. Get it right dude.

No because a stock NF is whimpy and I doubt it'll even shoot a 0.2g airsoft BB 20 feet.

How many FPS does a NF modded airsoft scumbag go?

Are you asking what FPS does modded nerf gun, if converted to firing airsoft BB's, get? I have no clue. Probably around 350-400fps if it has a good seal for the airsoft barrel. I never HAD a nerf gun that can shoot a nerf dart over 100ft.

Edited by Galaxy613, 26 February 2008 - 11:55 PM.

#34 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

Yeah, some people mod their NF's to be $8 airsoft snlpers.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#35 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:27 AM

No because a stock NF is whimpy and I doubt it'll even shoot a 0.2g airsoft BB 20 feet.

Statements like that require testing. So I did.

I have some results for a lightly modded NF, and it's way over 20 feet.

I'm not an airsofter, but as it happens, found a pile of used ammo last weekend. My NF is barely modded (ARs removed, one turn of etape around the plunger), so I rigged up an airsoft barrel for it. Turns out a drinking straw is a very nice fit, which nests nicely in a bic pen. I then nested that into some 17/32" brass to insert into my NF barrel. I'm using a pin in the end of the straw to keep the load from falling into the plunger.

I'm doing a test fire towards the end of my hall (~80 feet distant), and I'm hitting the wall. I don't have a good way to test straight range...I tried firing the other direction (which gives me a range of ~300 feet or so), but I lost track of it. I'll see if it eventually turns up.

I'd test more but this is a Nerf forum, after all. Suffice it to say that the NF plunger has enough power to move a .2g BB...air delivery is definitely not a problem.

#36 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

How far does your NF fire a dart?

#37 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

How far does your NF fire a dart?

About 40 feet...I'm not a great modder. I am using a 1st edition NF, though, so that may make a difference. It hit about 20 feet stock.

#38 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hmm seems about right... I see nothing contradictory in your stats, I was just wrong. I guess if I hook my longshot up to a airsoft barrel it could get good range also...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users