Photo

Gorilla Glue Or Epoxy?

28 replies to this topic

#1 camo

camo

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

I need to glue what comes down to hotglue to plastic. The bond is going to have to take quite a bit of abuse, so I'm not sure what to use. It's come down to either gorilla glue actually attaching it, with epoxy built up around it for added support (The epoxy will only stick to plastic if I do this, but the glue will stick plastic and dried hotglue together), or just using epoxy the entire way. I've never had to opportunity to use epoxy before, so I have no Idea how strong it is. Does anyone have experience with both and can tell me which is stronger?

#2 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

Epoxy is. Its a chemical reaction that bonds to it. Gorilla glue is just expanding glue.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#3 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:10 PM

I have used gorilla glue to glue on barrels before and with any abuse they broke off. Epoxy has never let me down yet.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#4 tyrant bb

tyrant bb

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:20 PM

Well...like everything else they're good for different things. I have never used epoxy since it seems expensive. Gorilla Glue is great for making air tight seals, even though it can be easily broken off. It looks like it would leak because of the air bubbles in it, but believe me it doesn't. It expands so it can get into tight areas where you couldn't get with epoxy. I think epoxy is better though if you just want a secure bond.
Palm beach is in florida you dingaling face.

#5 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

Fuck hot glue. Hot glue can't adhere for shit. *EDIT: well, it can adhere well, but it just doesn't last.* It does at first, but it doesn't last. I would first use a bit of epoxy resin for the initial bond, let it dry, then use gorilla glue for the seal, and then make the gorilla glue's bond stronger with epoxy.

Edited by Bomberman, 16 February 2008 - 03:29 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#6 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

I prefer plubers goop, since its 1-part. But it its only between those two I'd chooseepoxy.

Edited by OfAllTheNerf, 16 February 2008 - 03:47 PM.

[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#7 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

Gorilla glue can't seal up something, are you daft?

It can't hold an pressure, or connect any moving parts, its the worst adhesive besides Elmer's.

What are you trying to glue together?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#8 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

I prefer JB kwik. It sets pretty fast, and it is a bit more "liquidy" than most two-part epoxy, so it gets in the cracks and bonds really well.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#9 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

It really depends on what you are trying to do. For an integration I use Plumbers Goop with plastic struts internally, And externally I use Epoxy Putty covered in hot glue. For a Coupler, use Epoxy (be SURE to rough up both edges that will be adhered together). For air gun internals I use Plumbers Goop.

PC

Edited by P.C. III, 16 February 2008 - 05:59 PM.

QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#10 camo

camo

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

I's trying to attach a handle to a RC primer. It's the shell of another gun that has been filled in with hot glue. Will the chemical reaction that epoxy creates still take place if it's attaching hotglue to plastic? I'm assuming that they are made of different chemicals and stuff. I would also be able to get plumber's goop. Would that be better? I don't really care about it being airtight.

#11 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

There are only two types of glue I use. Fishin glue and plumbers goop.
I don't see a reason why I should use anything else when it comes to the plastics in Nerf guns.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#12 moleman

moleman

• Banned
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

try goop i,ve had the best luck with it ;)

#13 pwnchu

pwnchu

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

Does anyone know around how much psi goop can withstand?

#14 ninja mods

ninja mods

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

I don't see a reason why I should use anything else when it comes to the plastics in Nerf guns.

What is fishing glue?

#15 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

So if I need to adhere a plunger rod to a plunger head, and the plunger rod is in the shape of an "I" beam (so there are no large flat surfaces), should I use Epoxy? There is a strong spring behind the plunger head and I need the whole thing to be able to withstand many shots. I don't care about the adhesive being airtight. Thanks in advance.

#16 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

Cheesy, you should really use a screw for that, but it also depends on your surface type. I don't know much on adhesives, but I use Epoxy+PG for barrels/Putty for integrations+stabilizing/Hot glue for stefans. I do not advise you to use hot glue for barrels...

#17 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

Cheesy, you should really use a screw for that, but it also depends on your surface type. I don't know much on adhesives, but I use Epoxy+PG for barrels/Putty for integrations+stabilizing/Hot glue for stefans. I do not advise you to use hot glue for barrels...

and the plunger rod is in the shape of an "I" beam (so there are no large flat surfaces)

In other words, there is no room anywhere on the plunger rod to use a screw Sorry if I was not clear enough the first time. If you would like me to, I can take a picture of it. However, the plunger rod would first have to break, as it currently is being held together by Gorilla glue. I will let you know how it goes.

#18 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

and the plunger rod is in the shape of an "I" beam (so there are no large flat surfaces)

In other words, there is no room anywhere on the plunger rod to use a screw Sorry if I was not clear enough the first time. If you would like me to, I can take a picture of it. However, the plunger rod would first have to break, as it currently is being held together by Gorilla glue. I will let you know how it goes.

I don't see this ending well. Gorilla glue won't hold up very long, nor would epoxy. You need a good mechanical coupling that you can reinforce with adhesives.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#19 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

I don't see this ending well. Gorilla glue won't hold up very long, nor would epoxy. You need a good mechanical coupling that you can reinforce with adhesives.

Any ideas as to what I could use for the mechanical coupling? Also, could Epoxy suffice as the adhesive reinforcement? Or is there a different adhesive that would do the job more efficiently?

#20 Hoceky

Hoceky

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

What is fishing glue?

Fishin Glue that is meant for fishing line. In other words, it's just super glue.

Edited by Hoceky, 08 March 2009 - 12:55 PM.

meh.

#21 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Fishin' Glue has no additives making it chemicaly stronger. A wise man said this (CS). Also I like All pupose cement that is for ABS,CPVC, and PVC It will glue a coupler (even unisex that has CPVC and PVC) tho ABS it's the stuff. But sometimes I use this two part super glue for all plastics and it's bond better than epoxy after 1hr this stuff will not even budge epoxy would break off after 5 DAYS of curing.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#22 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Triple server error dang.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 04 March 2009 - 08:57 AM.

Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"

#23 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

Triple post ERROR dang.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 04 March 2009 - 08:57 AM.

Favorite Quotes:

#24 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Use epoxy, but do two things to the plastic before gluing:
1. Sand both pieces.
2. clean them both off, I use various things, including rubbing alcohol.

It took me to the 5th time of re-gluing to remember to do these (I'm so forgetful!)

#25 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

server error, sorry!

Edited by wing'd man, 03 March 2009 - 09:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users