Photo

Absolver- Titan Modification

33 replies to this topic

#1 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

Hello! I am happy to make my first post in this forum a writeup of my first original modification! I can't thank you all enough for the educational mod tutorials, pictures, and videos; they have been a big help to new modders like me. I've done an at2k, a nitefinder, and a maverick thanks to nerfhaven, so its time for me to give something back to the community.

I present the Absolver Scattergun, SG-7.

Posted Image

--------------
Introduction
--------------
The club that I Nerf with plays indoor wars only. There are a few important special considerations that indoor wars have, and my club has made a few additional rules concerning overpowered Nerf weaponry. This is an attempt to make a Titan modification that isn't just a singled monstrosity that would put an eye out at twenty feet. I also needed a mod that would take stock darts, as my group does not allow Stefans. During testing of the Absolver, I was able to take a point blank shot to the chest with no pain, so I consider this mod relatively safe for indoor use.
Anyway, this gun fires seven tagger micros at the same time, with an effective range of about fifty feet. At that point you reach about a six or seven foot spread, decreasing its effectiveness at very long ranges. At close range, however, a blast from this puppy is practically impossible to dodge, making it extremely useful around corners, down crowded hallways, and up/down stairwells. I have seen shotgun attachments for the Titan before, but I was not happy with just two or four barrels. A cloud of seven darts at once is truly something you don't want to be on the wrong end of in a war. This is hardly a loser's nerf mod, but if you like to make sure that there is absolutely no way you could possibly miss at close to medium range, this is the mod for you.

-------------
Instructions
-------------
The nice thing about this particular modification is that it is really cheap and easy to do! I will show you how.
First, a list of materials that you need.

1) About 50 centimeters of 1/2" Hot/Cold SCH40 PVC. I found that the long rods that Lowes sells work just fine, they are cream-colored and have thin walls. It is important that the wall of the pipe is nice and thin. Dart Taggers are a tight squeeze, but they fit all right with a little pushing. You are eventually going to need seven lengths, each about 6.5 centimeters.
2) You need two PVC fittings. First:
a)1 1/2" Slip/Thread PVC adapter, female
b)1 1/2" X 1 1/4" Slip/Thread PVC adapter, male
3) A hot glue gun, with plenty of hot glue sticks. Plumbers goop works fine too.
4) A dremel. You will need a cutting and a sanding bit. A hacksaw and sandpaper will also work.
5) A pair of scissors.
6) A broken, old dart to cut up.

Step one: Unscrew the barrel of your Titan, and remove the air restrictors, both in the barrel itself and in the place that the barrel screws in:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Grab some masking/electrical tape and wrap it around the end so that the male adapter fits securely onto the screw-on barrel.
Posted Image

Step two: Grab the dremel and the long PVC pipe and cut lengths that are about 6.5 centimeters long. As long as an entire stock tagger can fit inside of the little barrels that this makes, they should be fine.
Posted Image
After you do that, sand 'em down.
Posted Image

Step three: As you wait for your hot glue gun to rev up, take your broken dart and cut it into six long pieces.
Posted Image

Step four: Glue the seven short barrels that you cut together in a circular fashion. I found that starting with a triangle and building onto it works best.
Posted Image
After its ready to go, just stick the seven barrels into your female adapter. It may be a tight fit, so make sure that you glued the barrels as close together as they can go. If you did it right, they should fit right in like this:
Posted Image

Step five: See those big holes around the edge?
Posted Image
Stick a long piece of foam in each one.
Posted Image
After you push the extra in, it should look like this:
Posted Image

Step six: Glue the heck out of everything. Make sure that no air can escape out of any hole but the ones that the darts go in. The foam stoppers will help by providing something that the glue can hold on to, and it also eliminates a lot of the dead space inside of the scattergun shell.
Posted Image
Do not forget the bottom.
Posted Image

Let the hot glue dry, and stick the male adapter into the titan screw-on barrel. Then you can just screw on your scattergun shell!
Posted Image

I'm not sure how much easier that could have been. This allows you to quickly make as many shells as you want. I made two, but you can make more if you feel you need it.

Here is a video of the Absolver in action, along with a slideshow showing the steps.

Now all it needs is a cool paint job 8)

I hope that this was fun to read, and that it isn't too unoriginal. Thanks for reading!
-Bendystraw

Edited by BendyStraw, 16 February 2008 - 12:52 AM.

WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#2 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:15 AM

Very clean, very nice.
All in all, a good first post.

And i love your username.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#3 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:57 AM

It looks nice and sturdy. Good job.
The issue I a;ways have with indoor wars is reloading, and this thing is going to cause some rushing,
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#4 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:58 AM

I would recommend using Amazing Plumber's Goop instead of hot glue for the sealing.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#5 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:27 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, This is an excellent first post and an easy to read write up.
I wish all new members were like this.

Bendystraw I have only one suggestion.
Make the Absolver have a simple coupler instead of a threaded one.
I did the threaded coupler thing on an old Super Soaker I worked on. Sure it feels cool and all with all that twisting but it also takes a lot of time. Add that on top of pumping it 15+ times and your ROF goes down the crapper.

Consider this added to the directory.
Once again, Great first post.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#6 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:27 AM

Very nice; clean and clear.

I would also suggest changing it to a slip coupler, and maybe replacing the pump with a bicycle pump.

Great job, and welcome to the forums!
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#7 firstblood

firstblood

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

Great Job. Very clean writeup.
So I recently got a Razor Fin from Poo, and decided to dig right in.

#8 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

1) About 50 centimeters of 1/2" Hot/Cold SCH40 PVC. I found that the long rods that Lowes sells work just fine, they are cream-colored and have thin walls. It is important that the wall of the pipe is nice and thin. Dart Taggers are a tight squeeze, but they fit all right with a little pushing. You are eventually going to need seven lengths, each about 6.5 centimeters.

Very good write up and modification, but I believe you are referring to CPVC, which is different from 1/2" SCH40 PVC. Good Mod ^_^ !

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#9 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

Very good write up and modification, but I believe you are referring to CPVC, which is different from 1/2" SCH40 PVC. Good Mod ^_^ !

No, he's right. You can use SCH 40, but I think that it's normally used for Megas (correct me if I'm wrong)
You can also get SCH 80 which is good for micros.

All in all its an excellent first post, but if you ask me its just another shot-gunned titan.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#10 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did notice that it can take a little while to reload, and using slip fittings will cut down the reload time. I typically use an AT2k in the right hand to cover myself as I reload, to help keep me from getting immediately rushed, but if I were to do this again, I would use slip fittings instead (Not to mention something stronger than hot glue.) It isn't a primary, but I feel it definitely has its place in a Nerf game. It feels so good to fire this from the hip at someone during a zombie match!

#11 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

integrate a few more guns into there like the fucking pecan and you've got a beast and it could be a primary.

#12 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

Sweet mod dude. I have never seen anything like it. It is a beast for sure. Integrate a AT2K or 3K, you have yourself a worthy primary.

Edited by Bomberman, 16 February 2008 - 01:40 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#13 foamforce123

foamforce123

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

Awesome, awesome, awesome first post. I wish my first post was this good. Sweet mod too. I have a suggestion, I know this sounds kinda hard and expensive but maybe you should buy a cheap ball valve for each barrel so if you are stranded with only one dart, you can fire it alone instead of finding six other darts by closing all of the ball valves but one, because otherwise it wouldn't fire. Again SWEET first post.

Edited by foamforce123, 16 February 2008 - 01:57 PM.

Deal wit it.

#14 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

Awesome, awesome, awesome first post. I wish my first post was this good. Sweet mod too. I have a suggestion, I know this sounds kinda hard and expensive but maybe you should buy a cheap ball valve for each barrel so if you are stranded with only one dart, you can fire it alone instead of finding six other darts by closing all of the ball valves but one, because otherwise it wouldn't fire. Again SWEET first post.

I actually considered doing something like that, but it would have made the individual shells a lot more complicated. I decided to keep it simple, and to always have an AT2k handy in case someone thought that was the only shot I had.

I may consider an integration. I might try gutting a nightfinder or a 3k or something.

Edited by BendyStraw, 16 February 2008 - 02:54 PM.

#15 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

That's a really nice write up, it looks very easy to do. I'll probably make another barrel attachment for my titan like that.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#16 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

Somthing else you could do to make it more well rounded is to link two SMDTGs, attach them to a bigger pump and glue them on. That way you have three two-dart bursts while youre reloading. I might have to do that actually.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#17 moleman

moleman

• Banned
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

nice mod ;)

#18 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:32 PM

Here's my virsion. It's based off yours, but i screwed up trying to use 7 barrels, so mine only has four. Thanks for the idea, cause this is my new primary.

my gun

Thanks again for inspiring me.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#19 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:18 AM

That's so awesome. I'm glad I was able to help. Admittedly, it is a very tight squeeze getting those barrels in. I saw though that you have a square arrangement, which should also work just fine. In fact, you will probably get more range with four barrels.

EDIT: Actually, it may be because your fitting was a little too small. At any rate, four should fire well anyway.

Edited by BendyStraw, 17 February 2008 - 01:32 AM.

#20 Mod Watchamacallit

Mod Watchamacallit

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

Nice!!! i think that would be deadly in a fight. Your lucky though your hard wear stores arent junk... all mine are.
lets hope the bad guy gets away.......

----[[-]]------------------[[8]]----[[8]]<----- psp game (+[_].:)

#21 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

I'm getting really good ranges. 70 feet at 16 pumps, 150 feet at 32. It's also quite accurate, because of the scatter, even though I missed in the video, my bad. You really should use better glue then hot glue. PVC cement seemed to work great in conjuntion with ducktape for me, so I suggest it, even though I know captinslug will have my ass for saying that. Anyway, I have some more suggesttions. Take the trigger safties out so it's easyer to fire at angles. I'm now using a strap to carry it so I can use another gun comfortably. Thanks for the idea, I owe you.

Edited by ice, 17 February 2008 - 09:05 PM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker

#22 Diablo

Diablo

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:15 AM

As Forsaken Angel already told you, that is a phenomenal first post. I understood your write up completely, and it looks like it'd be great for your indoor wars too.

A lot of members have been throwing ideas at you like crazy in this thread. It seems that you have a pretty good Nerfing strategy already though; the AT2k/Shotgun Titan combo seems to be a great fit for the way you Nerf. I would avoid all of the crazy integration ideas that some of these kids are telling you to do. Make your gun how you want to make it, after all you'll be the one using it.

Oh, and welcome to NerfHaven.

-Diablo

NHQ Administrator | www.nerfhq.com

#23 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

Well said. Very well said.
Muker

#24 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

Well, it does work quite well as a Titan/At2k combo. People who rush after the shotgun blast get nailed in the chest by a 2k shot. It can be hard to reload, though, but having a buddy cover me while I pump up the guns again helps a ton. I brought it to the nerf games last night and it performed very well, so I'm proud of my first mod.

Expect to see more later, and thanks for the encouragement, everybody.

Edited by BendyStraw, 18 February 2008 - 11:48 AM.

#25 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

Ice, pvc cemet isn't glue. Stop using it like it is. PVC cement is a chemical solvent, and it only sticks pvc to pvc. Hotglue is ideal for this project, because you're just filling holes with it.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users