Too expensive to be practical

14 replies to this topic

#1 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

http://www.carbonfib...all tubing.html

Sure you can get it in a variety of sizes, it's stronger than most anything else, but it is expensive and must be custom ordered. However I would bet that it makes a stylish and excellent low drag barrel material.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#2 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:14 PM

http://www.carbonfib...all tubing.html

Sure you can get it in a variety of sizes, it's stronger than most anything else, but it is expensive and must be custom ordered. However I would bet that it makes a stylish and excellent low drag barrel material.

I guess.

4 3" sections for 25$? Yeesh.
~AJAQ~

#3 angrscottishkid

angrscottishkid

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

Great find! I bought a carbon fiber barrel for my paintball gun, and it shoots like a dream. My range and acuracy increased and it's more air efficient(sp?). That stuffs pretty durable so one barrel would last along time. carbon fiber barrels are self cleaning, though I'm not sure that's even a problem in nerf.
In the words of colonel Sanders, I'm to drunk to chase this chicken.

#4 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

The "fabric" finish (what most people relate to carbon fiber) in .500" ID (.575" OD) runs about 50 bucks for a 49" length.

So, that's about 12 bucks a foot. A dollar per inch.

Any takers?

Personally, I'd stick with PETG. I found some carbon fiber decal sheet that I'd like to try on my SM5000 re-do (for the 6th time).

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#5 Guest_CornMan_*

Guest_CornMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

At about $12, it is too expensive. I would buy some only for a crossbow, or my chosen primary. I would only use it on guns worhty enough. But I bet since it is fabric, the dart would slide iin there, and leave the tube pretty well. Good find Cobbers!

Edited by CornMan, 28 December 2007 - 05:22 PM.

#6 agentM192

agentM192

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:43 PM

You have to be careful because carbon fiber can unravel. That's why you can only use pull-through squeegees on CF paintball barrels and not the giant swabs.
They aren't weapons. Don't call them weapons. They're only weapons if you make them so.

#7 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

Well only on the V1 Stiffi's (What I believe your implying, unless it's the winds which your are allowed to use swabs)

The V2 and V3 are coated with a new type of spray that allows you to use the swabs. FBR would'nt be a problem unless it was Raw carbon inside the tube where it could pull a thread lose and render the barrel useless. I would do some research before anyone goes down this route.
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#8 CyberPunkGunner

CyberPunkGunner

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:12 AM

http://www.kitebuild...9d0d9b756c9ab31

This carbon fiber for kite rod works wonders. The inner diameter is almost exactly that of a nerf dart, so if you want a loser barrel then you have to use a streamline since the tips on any other dart stick out. I am sure many will say the ID is too small, but I put one on my Airtech as a single and works perfectly.

If there are still nay-sayers I will get a pic of it when possible (it is in my storage unit as I am in the process of moving)
You were born a winner
You were the fastest sperm.

#9 donz2323

donz2323

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

I don't think these carbon fiber tubes will unravel. CF is held together with resins. On thing I'd like to know is if these tubes are the wet laid or dry laid, if they are vaccuum and pressure bonded? If theya re wet laid, You can make CF tubes at your house, you can even make vaccum formed ones. Also some "carbon fiber" products have a fiberglass skeleton, and the Cf is just wrapped aroung for look. I can't get a clear pick of the inside to see what it is.

Also, why would anyone thing CF has less friction that say PETG? The CF is under a layer of resin so i don't think it would make a difference, you are not actually touching bare CF, ie the strands. I think I have seen kevlar stuff, which is similar to CF but has colour and also cheaper!

#10 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

The ID of those Tubes CyberPunkGamer posted are too small. The OD of a stock nerf dart is like .51 The ID of that tube is .418
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#11 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

How could you make your own Carbon Fiber barrels?

I'd like to try it if it doesn't involve too many solvents.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#12 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

Probably really hard to do without the proper machinery. I saw a special about carbon fiber on the show "How it's Made" and it looked extremely complicated with all the layers.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#13 Trevor

Trevor

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but why would anyone chose a carbon fiber barrel, over a much cheaper pcv/brass/aluminum/petg barrel? Just for the aesthetics I'm assuming?

#14 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but why would anyone chose a carbon fiber barrel, over a much cheaper pcv/brass/aluminum/petg barrel? Just for the aesthetics I'm assuming?

Probably because they are more stable and look allot cooler looking. But again the topic does say "too expensive to be practical"
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#15 donz2323

donz2323

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:11 AM

Probably really hard to do without the proper machinery. I saw a special about carbon fiber on the show "How it's Made" and it looked extremely complicated with all the layers.

Making Cf uses some resins... I forget it's been a long time since I read up on it, but definately possible in a garage with a ventelator. Some of the resins are extremely toxic, which is one of the reasons i never attempted this. Ohh this is also the wet lay method. It's pretty much "glueing" Cf fabric together, it probably has 1/2 the strength of properly made CF. If you look at some of the older CF Hoods, and even some from cheaper companies, yo notice it's nothing more than a Fiverglass skeleton with the CF fabric on top. This is the skimpy way of making it look CF.

"How it's made" shows how they make CF parts for things like the Maclaren F1. They use CF sheets that already have resin in it. they stach sheets of CF and bake it under pressure, in an autoclave(?). Anyways this process makes the CF super strong, as the resin is evenly distrubuted through the whole piece. Not many places have this type of equipment so that is my I asked.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users