The Vulcan

Crap talk and speculation galore until the release date

740 replies to this topic

#651 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

Point. But I forgot to mention that when weapons are heavy and unwieldy, it's nice to be able to rest them against something.

Last time I checked, gravity pulls stuff down not behind you. Unless you have a mutant arm specifically for stock holding, it wont matter.

Edited by laxtk88, 01 July 2008 - 04:39 PM.

QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#652 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

Point. But I forgot to mention that when weapons are heavy and unwieldy, it's nice to be able to rest them against something.

Last time I checked, gravity pulls stuff down not behind you. Unless you have a mutant arm specifically for stock holding, it wont matter.

I find it easier to hold the longshot against my shoulder... It feels lighter because not all the weight is applied to just your hands.

#653 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

Does it really matter this much? how difficult is it to make your own stock? It's not that big a deal. If you'd prefer it to have a stock, slap one on there. If you like it better without, yippee.

Also, no nerf gun has recoil. The forces with which we are dealing are just too small. If you have a super-heavy plunger, it might have enough intertia to actually throw the gun forward, but that's very unlikely, especially with a blaster that's weighted down with 6 D batteries.

Also, today is not the Amazon release date, they are still listed as unavailable.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#654 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

I think you guys are missing the point of an automatic weapon though. The reason they put the worst riflemen on mac daddy duty on helicopters are because it's the easiest gun to hit stuff with. Just fire constantly, and adjust the stream of bullets accordingly.

Ex. Take out humvee. Start shooting with monster machine gun, notice that bullets are all hitting behind humvee, turn gun more towards front of humvee. As the wave of bullets passes from behind the humvee to in front of the humvee, the humvee gets hit plenty of times. Mission accomplished.
Teehee.

#655 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

I think you guys are missing the point of an automatic weapon though. The reason they put the worst riflemen on mac daddy duty on helicopters are because it's the easiest gun to hit stuff with. Just fire constantly, and adjust the stream of bullets accordingly.

Ex. Take out humvee. Start shooting with monster machine gun, notice that bullets are all hitting behind humvee, turn gun more towards front of humvee. As the wave of bullets passes from behind the humvee to in front of the humvee, the humvee gets hit plenty of times. Mission accomplished.

True, but the Vulcan carries only 25 rounds of ammunition so that means you have to conserve ammo, and that means aiming. And don't give me "but the chains can connect." Dealing with all that extra belt is going to be your worst nightmare, especially in CQB.
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#656 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:28 PM

Unless you buy lots of chains in whole sale and make a 1000 round clip and your loading it for 6 hours before a war :lol: and go RAMBO style -_- .

EDIT:Here is the link to wholesale pricing under where it says Price: $9.99

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 01 July 2008 - 07:35 PM.

Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#657 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

Unless you buy lots of chains in whole sale and make a 1000 round clip and your loading it for 6 hours before a war and go RAMBO style.

And here we were, having a productive discussion.

As has already been addressed, a stock doesn't really help the weight of a gun - weight pulls down, not back. Also, we won't know what the recoil on the Vulcan is like until someone uses one, but I'm willing to bet that it is negligible (just like in every other Nerf gun).

And to add my opinion the the most recent point: accuracy will be important with the Vulcan, just as with every other Nerf gun. A 25-dart belt will not supply enough ammo for extended spraying. I agree that an extended belt is going to be a nightmare to deal with, though I imagine it will be possible to make a larger box for it. Then, however, you get size and mobility problems.

Bottom line: accuracy is important. But, I still don't think a stock will help that.

Edited by MithMorchaint, 01 July 2008 - 07:41 PM.

#658 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

Unless you buy lots of chains in whole sale and make a 1000 round clip and your loading it for 6 hours before a war and go RAMBO style.

As has already been addressed, a stock doesn't really help the weight of a gun - weight pulls down, not back. Also, we won't know what the recoil on the Vulcan is like until someone uses one, but I'm willing to be that it is negligible (just like in every other Nerf gun).

And to add my opinion the the most recent point: accuracy will be important with the Vulcan, just as with every other Nerf gun. A 25-dart belt will not supply enough ammo for extended spraying. I agree that an extended belt is going to be a nightmare to deal with, though I imagine it will be possible to make a larger box for it. Then, however, you get size and mobility problems.

Bottom line: accuracy is important. But, I still don't think a stock will help that.

*Sigh* Let's just agree

to disagree

#659 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

A 25-dart belt will not supply enough ammo for extended spraying.

For nerf, I'm only talking about 3-4 shots per spray. Dude is running by, click click click he should be hit. Just like playing with a magstrike. You don't unload the entire clip on one guy unless it's suppression fire or he's the last man standing or he's OMC or Vacc.
Teehee.

#660 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:16 PM

As has already been addressed, a stock doesn't really help the weight of a gun - weight pulls down, not back. Also, we won't know what the recoil on the Vulcan is like until someone uses one, but I'm willing to bet that it is negligible (just like in every other Nerf gun).

you have clearly never fired a gun.

That being said, this is nerf, not mil-sim, so the issue isn't weight at all. However, a stock gives you something to steady your aim with (your shoulder), and thus makes you more accurate.

Edited by zaphodB, 01 July 2008 - 11:16 PM.

Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#661 Grenada

Grenada

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:19 AM

alright people, This stock, no stock thing is just starting to get a teeny bit annoying. Now if you people will bear with the history geek here, I might say a few things.

History stuff with only minor relevence but for some might be interesting to some and if you are looking to flame me please read the part after the history first
First, the use of stocks. In world war one, there were many, many stockless tripod mounted mgs, and very few stocked mgs. In world war two this evened out with the increase in use of the submachine gun and lmgs that did not weigh forty pounds plus ammo at 10 pounds a clip.Right there it was just about even. Then comes korea, where the stockless mounted mg made its comeback, especially with the north koreans, because, I believe, the north koreans were using mainly russiun guns, and the russians in world war two use rifles, rifles, and more rifles, sub machine guns were few and far between. Another reason which mounted were on the rise in korea there were huge open expanses and that was the tripod mounted mgs best spot, nailing the guys coming over the next ridge by the thousand. In vietnam, stocked non-mounted skyrocketed becuase most engagements were close in in the jungle, where mounted weapons were next to useless. Now, in desert storm and iraqi freedom, we are back roughly to world war two levels sincewe have so much middle of the desert, and its the korea situation, except in the city, where, the M249 rules with mobility and versatility.
Second, some examples of stocks in history. One of these is the M2 .50 caliber machine gun. It was invented 70-80 years ago and is still used more then ever. And it does not use a stock. Up until very, very recently, that was the only weapon mounted in the commander position, in World War two, korea, vietnam, the gulf war, and even now in iraqi freedom. A second is theM1919A6 light machine gun in world war two, overall, it was a tripod mounted stockless weapon. Except in a few rare occasions in the pacific. The pacific was jungle fighting, and there fore a tripod mounted weapon was pretty much useless. So a rogue seargent whos name and exact position escapes my invented a variation on it called the stinger. He pretty much total redid the outer shell of the thing. He put a rifle stock on it, changed the angle of the trigger, added new sights, and had a bipod for the rare situation of its original purpose being needed End of history stuff

I guess my point is, there are situations that call for a stock, and there are those that call for a tripod. And besides, if you want a stock, making it yourself will make it fit all your requirements, and will be good practice towards other things. And if you don't want a stock, you don't want a stock, but someone else might. And people, please don't jump all over me, I am just trying to make people understand the other side of the argument, and maybe, just maybe that will make you not questions each others tastes. I am just trying to help people here.
If you Nerf in western washington, PM me

So you see a penguin walking down the street. Looks harmless right, so you keep on walking past him. You turn around to seem him walk away, only to find yourself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver.

#662 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:23 AM

you have clearly never fired a gun.

That being said, this is nerf, not mil-sim, so the issue isn't weight at all. However, a stock gives you something to steady your aim with (your shoulder), and thus makes you more accurate.

I would thank you not to make baseless judgements, especially since I am proficient with both shotguns and smallish rifles.

And the point I've been trying to make is that how much the stock helps entirely depends on the person. For some people it helps, for some it doesn't.

And besides, if you want a stock, making it yourself will make it fit all your requirements, and will be good practice towards other things. And if you don't want a stock, you don't want a stock, but someone else might.

This.

#663 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

*tries to close up the can of worms*
*realizes it's too late*

#664 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

Ok, this is getting off topic even from a rabbid speculation standpoint. If I have to close this ridiculous thread it will be the last straw that earns my ire.

VACC

#665 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

I Swear to God that this thread was for the Vulcan and if anyone heard anything new about it, Not how useful stocks and tripods are.

weird... I believe we know everything there is too know about the Vulcan for now.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#666 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

I Swear to God that this thread was for the Vulcan and if anyone heard anything new about it, Not how useful stocks and tripods are.

weird... I believe we know everything there is too know about the Vulcan for now.

Whew, thank god you put them in their place, because I totally could not handle that by myself.

#667 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

If the rate of fire is controlled by the batteries on full auto, through a Nerf War, you would need 3-4 sets of batteries.

People would use it like a longshot in single fire.

It's a weak longshot with 25 shots in single fire, and has a 30 feet pos range full auto (based on the videos).
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#668 bartel

bartel

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:04 PM

Look at the Vulcan. I'ts got the handle on top for a reason. You hold the weight with your left hand. That gives you a pivot point to turn the back end around and that's how you aim.

It's a macine gun. You didn't see soldiers in WWII walking around firing their .30 Cal maching guns. They had to put it on the ground to fire. It's the same thing with the Vulcan. It's not made to be fired while being carried.

At the same time, it is a Nerf gun, so i'ts not going to be as heavy as a real machine gun, and they can make it firable(sp) while it's being carried. But that's still not what it's made for, so it doesn't need a stock.

Edited by bartel, 09 July 2008 - 11:07 PM.

"I say anyone who knows how to mod a Nerf gun is a badass" -Leaf-o, www.angryaardvark.netfreehost.com

#669 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

Not made to be carried? Explain the foregrip and removable tripod.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#670 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

Look at the Vulcan. I'ts got the handle on top for a reason. You hold the weight with your left hand. That gives you a pivot point to turn the back end around and that's how you aim.

It's a macine gun. You didn't see soldiers in WWII walking around firing their .40 Cal maching guns. They had to put it on the ground to fire. It's the same thing with the Vulcan. It's not made to be fired while being carried.

At the same time, it is a Nerf gun, so i'ts not going to be as heavy as a real machine gun, and they can make it firable(sp) while it's being carried. But that's still not what it's made for, so it doesn't need a stock.

Im pretty sure you mean the Browning .30 cal........ if you are gonna sounf smart on the topic of machine guns, do it right.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#671 bartel

bartel

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

Yeah, my bad. I'll change that.
"I say anyone who knows how to mod a Nerf gun is a badass" -Leaf-o, www.angryaardvark.netfreehost.com

#672 Yakkers

Yakkers

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

Pics from NerfHQ:
http://flickr.com/ph...57606186003637/

The topic:
http://www.nerfhq.co...hp?topic=7413.0

#673 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:42 AM

I like how like no one on NHQ has asked him to open it...
We need internals for the damned thing. I could care less about external shots.

#674 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

If I were him, I wouldn't open it unless I had more than one...
Its a new gun, and, from my experiences, something can go wrong just from opening and closing a gun.
No reason to trash a perfectly good gun. If it's anything like the Internals of a LS complexity wise, the smallest piece that could be lost, makes all the difference.
WHY THE HELL DO WE CARE IF A STOCK WOULD INCREASE ACCURACY OR NOT IF THE VULCAN DOES NOT HAVE ONE???

Edited by Philote, 18 July 2008 - 09:53 AM.

EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

#675 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:59 AM

By contrast, I could care less about modding potential and just want to know about stock performance, so let's just wait and see, he'll probably give us both in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users