Crap talk and speculation galore until the release date

740 replies to this topic

#326 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

I'm not that good with electrical stuff, but...does the type of battery really make a difference as far as what it can do?

I mean, if I remember correctly, all of the "standard size" batteries (AAA through D) are 1.5 Volts. I thought the larger size of a C or D just made for a longer lifespan.

Granted, 6 batteries is better than the 4 in smeagolsaur's airsoft "gun," but (I think) that the fact that they are D batteries doesn't make a difference except that they will last longer.

...Then again, I could be totally wrong. Any electrical engineers, feel free to put a giant WRONG stamp here.

Edit: Thom beat me to it, though I still can't say for sure whether either of us is right.

Edited by jwasko, 21 February 2008 - 06:08 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#327 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:11 PM

This is probably a waste of time but.....

Nerf, If you are reading this...
Send me one of these. My modifications done to this will inspire others to purchase it.
You have seen what I can do.

Your Ego's really getting annoying.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#328 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

I hope that it's not a battery-powered maverick. With such a big gun, why wouldn't they use a longshot plunger?

Because Hasbro doesn't using that design for their high ROF spring guns.

Take a look at those guns (Mav, Firefly, DTG); they all share the same plunger. It could be argued that the LS and the Recon are high ROF guns, but the Vulcan doesn't use Streamlines. Since Hasbro tends to reuse its internals, it seems to follow that this high ROF springer would use the same guts.

Edited by Carbon, 21 February 2008 - 06:30 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#329 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

Take a look at those guns (Mav, Firefly, DTG); they all share the same plunger. It could be argued that the LS and the Recon are high ROF guns, but the Vulcan doesn't use Streamlines. Since Hasbro tends to reuse its internals, it seems to follow that this high ROF springer would use the same guts.

I don't know about the firefly, but the mav has an inverted plunger and the DTB has a real plunger. Not the same at all.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#330 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

I don't know about the firefly, but the mav has an inverted plunger and the DTB has a real plunger. Not the same at all.

True. I stand corrected.

EDIT: Doubly corrected. The Firefly shares a plunger with the DTG, not with the Mav....so that's positive. Anyway, Mav is the odd man out, but we have common ROF internals.....my hypothesis stands. Thanks for pointing that out, Qui'lan Fett.

Edited by Carbon, 21 February 2008 - 06:39 PM.

#331 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

The firefly basically has a (bigger?) NF plunger.

This is probably a waste of time but.....

Nerf, If you are reading this...
Send me one of these. My modifications done to this will inspire others to purchase it.
You have seen what I can do.

I thought that I may have been the only one to think that. FA_24 does some good work, but he isn't the only good modder on here...
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#332 smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

D batteries aren't any higher-voltage than AAs.

Thanks, I was wondering about this.

Given that Ds have the same voltage as AAs, would the fact that there are 6 batteries have any effect on the subsequent power?

#333 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

I don't know about you guys but I'm kind of tired of comparing this gun to the electric system of an airsoft gun. First, if you are reffering to a precision airsoft gun with high ranges, don't expect it to run off run-of-the-mill AA batteries, or even Ds for that matter. Secondly, the balistics are completely different. As for the firefly plunger tube, it is thinner than a nf plunger tube.

#334 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Given that Ds have the same voltage as AAs, would the fact that there are 6 batteries have any effect on the subsequent power?

Each one is 1.5 volts, and the power is additive, so 9 volts. A D battery just has a great deal of capacity (about 8000 mAh, whereas a 9 volt battery has about 400mAh)

#335 smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

First, if you are reffering to a precision airsoft gun with high ranges, don't expect it to run off run-of-the-mill AA batteries, or even Ds for that matter.

I was referring to my mini airsoft gun that runs on 4 AA batteries...Try re-reading my post?

Secondly, the balistics are completely different.

How do you know this when the gun hasn't yet been released?

Each one is 1.5 volts, and the power is additive, so 9 volts. A D battery just has a great deal of capacity (about 8000 mAh, whereas a 9 volt battery has about 400mAh)

Thank you.
I just did a little wikipedia homework on batteries and voltage to help myself.

Edited by smeagolsaur, 21 February 2008 - 07:01 PM.

#336 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

He means the ballistics between an Airsoft round and a Nerf dart/Stefan.
An Airsoft pellet is much harder and is hit with more force than is practical/possible for a dart/Stefan.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#337 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

thank you sputnik. And I wasn't targeting your post specifically smeagolsaur. chill. I was just saying I don't think nerf guns should be compared to airsoft guns because they are almost completely different.

#338 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Not only is the capacity greater in the larger D cell battery, but more current is able to be pulled as well. One characteristic of electromagnetic devices (solenoids and motors) is that the amount of torque they are able to apply is directly related to the amount of current traveling through the circuit.
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Feb 21 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

How come no one ever intends to create a pun? Whenever I make a pun it is always intended. There's nothing wrong with puns.

#339 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:19 PM

After opening up my FF, I learned that it has a different plunger tube than the dtg (smaller) and the mav's is tiny, and reversed.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#340 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

As is your jealousy.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#341 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

As is your jealousy.

It's on now
QUOTE(Ro-Sham-Bo @ Mar 28 2008, 08:28 PM) View Post

(Never heard an old woman scream so loud) -Don't sigg that

QUOTE(Crimmy @ Apr 23 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

i'm retarded

#342 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:08 AM

As is your jealousy.

It's on now

Uh OH...

all this battery talk is getting me energized.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#343 NERF Downunder

NERF Downunder

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:17 AM

I know i have no real standing in the NIC, being a (very) long time lurker, but i have to support forsaken_angel in this instance.

The entire time i've been here, going on 2 years i think, FA has produced some of the best modifications on this forum.

Yes, you could say there are other good modifiers on the forums, but i truly believe that you would be hard pressed to find another who combines Forsaken_angels innovation, precision and just plain clean and awesome skills. Everything he produces is better, nicer, and in many cases cleaner than the original.

No body on nerfhaven can say they've looked at a forsaken angel mod and have'nt wished to be able to do it themselves. He may very well be the best i(and many others) has ever seen!

Just my 5 cents (we don't have 2 cents in Australia any more)
[size=2]Im not racist, i hate everyone!

#344 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:39 AM

Ugh, forum drama.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 22 February 2008 - 02:41 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#345 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

Okay ladies, here's the deal, simple.

We're keeping this thread open because there's a lot of you newer members (and somewhat older members who are acting like new members) and while everyone is enthusiastic about the release of the Vulcan (at least some of you are), this thread is for dumping all your theories and bullshit and tall tales about it.

One of the most destructive things to have on a public forum is PRIDE. When someone's ego gets in the way of good forum discussion, administrative action is needed.

I'm not a "master modifier". Neither do I lay claim to anything of great note or fame. I Nerf and modify Nerf blasters and weaponry to have a good time, not to "make a name" for myself. I was appointed to help administrate the forum by the two site owners, cxwq and VACC. I WILL make sure that the forum is clean and free from teen-aged drama queens and bigger dick one-upsmanship.

If anyone does not agree with that sort of forum moderation please PM or e-mail the site owners, using the links on this site, and request to have me removed.

Frankly and honestly, this whole "I'm famous" deal is pure, unfiltered bullshit. And it won't be tolerated on NerfHaven much longer.

We enjoyed good forum discussion, largely because we're EXTREMELY picky about who becomes a member here at NerfHaven. Yes, it reeks of elitist snobbery, but at least we can READ the damn forums without trying to slog our way through middle-school lunchroom chatter.

If your account somehow does not work any longer, consider it a repercussion of a violation of either the Code of Conduct, which everyone is supposed to understand when they register, or just a violation of good common sense and forum etiquette.

This thread will stay on, but some of your member accounts may not. Carry on.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#346 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

I am going to throw in my two cents here and hopefully never have to mention it again.

To be honest the whole "Nerf, if you are reading this" was something I typed when I was really tired and a little drunk. Even then I thought it was a waste of time. In the past I have noticed several times where Baghead has made comments about my pride and ego all that jazz. To be honest I never really saw myself as some kind of cocky monster who's ego is bigger than anything. Do my forum posts really give off that cocky asshole vibe? I didn't think so. Then again I may be wrong and never noticed it. If I have given anyone a "greater than thou" attitude then I apologize as it was not the intention. Getting back to Baghead I have huge respect for his work the stuff he has come up with is top notch. I am still highly in love with Sicklefin. I will admit the comment "as is your jealousy" was very childish but it was an eye for any eye type of thing and I should not have stooped down to the fecal throwing level. I do not want anyone to turn this into a "Well I think so and so is a better modder".

Let this be the end of it.
Hopefully the next comment I read in this thread is someone posting a link about the Vulcan's commercial.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 22 February 2008 - 11:00 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#347 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

...I never really saw myself as some kind of cocky monster...

Aaaahhh! Everyone beware the cock monster!

Seriously though, I haven't gotten that impression of anyone here (save for the administrators:P). You all have made some really impressive modifications and integrations. And everyone deserves to have a little pride in something that they have put a great deal of effort in to.
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Feb 21 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

How come no one ever intends to create a pun? Whenever I make a pun it is always intended. There's nothing wrong with puns.

#348 smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

To renew the speculation....

I'm going to venture that this gun uses a longshot plunger simply because it utilizes the same exact cocking handle as the longshot.

#349 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

That's like saying that a computer and a toaster are the same because they both use electricity.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#350 stevenssk11

stevenssk11

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:13 PM

The charging handle will likely be used the same way as other memebers have said before. You will probably pull it back and leave it back, then insert the chain just like you insert the magazine into the longshot. After closing the chamber by pushing the handle back forward, each subsequent round will it will be automatically chambered by the action operated by batteries.

Once it is time to remove the chain, it will be done the same way as removing the longshot magazine.

Also, I think the moddability of this gun will be excellent because of its size. Even if the internals cannot be modded extensively (beyond a new barrel, replacement spring, and air restrictor removal) the blaster is large enough that a plethora of integrations and external mods are possible.

It is also possible that the internals will be similar to those of the powerclip, rapid fire 20, and wildfire. In this instance, hasbro could have inserted a mechanism that inflates the bladder with a small battery run compressor and then firing is just like those I've mentioned. Again, this is just additional speculation on my part.

This baby can't come out soon enough :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users