Using my brass/OMC PETG system

3 replies to this topic

#1 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

I have been meaning to post this for a long time and I apologize for the lack of pictures, but when I did this mod, I wasn't even concerned with posting the mod on the grounds that it was so simple and I did it in one night before a war after my LS went to shit. I will get pictures of the final product up when I get the chance. There will be no in-progress pictures as I never took any when I did the mod, but it is a pretty straightforward mod that anyone can do it.

In any case, here is what you do.

First off, open up the gun and pull out the barrel assembly. Take off the orange cover and cut off the AR tip. Unlike most other MaxShot mods, you will be putting this piece back onto the gun. It will act as a stabilizer for the coupler and it will also protect the brass that will be the coupler itself. This mod, in fact, barely removes any of the original parts and requires no adhesives and very little extra parts attached to the gun.

After you remove the orange barrel cap, you will expose the barrel itself. Now take a piece of 21/32" brass. This will be the coupler for the gun. I used a foot long piece and then cut it down after it was mounted to the barrel of the gun. Take some sandpaper and carefully and evenly sand down half of the barrel, but don't sand it down that much. Just enough for you to barely push the brass onto the barrel. Now for the hard part. You need to twist the brass onto the barrel until it won't go down any further. I got mine to move down about 2". The brass will heat up from the friction but it won't damage the barrel. Once it is down as far as you want, cut off the excess brass with a manual cutter (a dremel will work as well, but you want that slightly squished edge that a manual one produces) and push the orange cap piece over the coupler and put it all back into the gun. It will be a tight fit and it will also take a bit of effort to get the orange piece back on. Be sure to align it so that it can be placed back into the shell. Screw everything back together and you are done.

You can also remove the safety device that is described in Cxwq's MaxShot Mod. This mod requires only cutting the AR off of the orange piece, but you don't have to cut anything else off of the gun or epoxy any parts to the gun. The barrel is straight and secure, it is protected by the cover still and you don'thave to worry about anything breaking off when the glue fails.

Now for the barrel you will attach to the coupler. I use one that is modeled off of both Baghead's Universal Barrel System (UBS) design and Carbon's dogbone, but once again made of brass and OMC's PETG. Your barrel will be 6" long when fully built. Take 2 pieces of 2" long 5/8" brass, 2 pieces of 1" long 19/32" brass and a 4" long piece of OMC's PETG. Place the smaller brass into the larger brass. The small pieces will stop the PETG from sliding through. Once again, use a manual cutter to cut both the 5/8" brass and the 19/32" brass, ensuring that the bent edge of the larger brass is the outer edges of your dogbone and the bent edge of the smaller pieces are pointing towards the center of your dogbone. You don't need the edge too bent, just what would happen from the cutting the brass normally. If you make it too exaggerated, you will have to work it out, which could take awhile. Now wrap E-tape around the ends of the PETG one winding and slide the brass over the PETG. Finally, tape the points where the brass and PETG meet with e-tape and you are done.

The gun gets about 110 feet of range, the average for a modded MaxShot.

Edited by badger, 07 February 2008 - 10:26 PM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#2 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

This is a very well thought out write up and even though there are no pictures, I can easily picture what is going on in my mind. Props.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#3 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:16 PM

I use one that is modeled off of Baghead's dogbone design, but once again made of brass and OMC's PETG.

Do you mean Baghead's UBS, or Carbon's dogbone barrel design?

Another sweet mod. A picture of the final product would be good. Will we be seeing the Crowd Pleaser anytime soon?

Edited by sam, 08 February 2008 - 01:09 AM.

#4 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

I use one that is modeled off of Baghead's dogbone design, but once again made of brass and OMC's PETG.

Do you mean Baghead's UBS, or Carbon's dogbone barrel design?

Another sweet mod. A picture of the final product would be good. Will we be seeing the Show Stopper anytime soon?

I edited the entry to show that my barrels are a hybrid of both Bags' and Carbon's barrel systems.

Also, if you are talking about the "Crowd Pleaser", I prefer to keep it a secret that only those who attend wars that I am at as well to know what it is. It is not a mod or a homemade. It is special.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users