Arachnophobia Ii

(Write up added) 8 Barrels with a side order of Sexy

48 replies to this topic

#1 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

Arachnophobia (the original) was born when I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if I had two Big Salvos attached to a Manta Ray?"

Well, Arachnophobia II was born when I thought, "What if I had a gun that had the range and accuracy of a SuperMaxx 1500 (my usual weapon of choice) and the rate of fire to take out four or more opponents while raiding?" So, while the original Arachnophobia was comprised of three guns (two Big Salvos and a Manta Ray), Arachnophobia II consists of FIVE GUNS!!! (two Supermaxx 1500's, two SMDTG's, and a MagStrike). Hopefully you're now wondering what sort of abomination that would produce...well, here goes!

First I took a MagStrike shell and dremelled out the area where the piston and MS clip are normally. I also cut open the front of the gun where the "grip" was before. I then took the blast chambers from two SM 1500's and hot-glued them together and then glued those down to the inside of the shell.

Next, to make the trigger system, I drilled a 1/2" whole through the back portion of the shell (where the tubing and the piston originally connected). Then I cut a short length of 1/2" brass and pushed it through the whole. Next was to cut two grooves into the shell (about 1/2" apart) near the vertex of the magazine well and the hollow space between it and the trigger (where the trigger-hand goes) and then put another short length of 1/2" brass in those grooves. I then ran some wire from each of the firing pins around these brass tubes (nested in PETG to reduce friction) and fastened a key ring to the end of each piece of wire.

Now for the SMDTG's. I cut a whole about 1.5"x3" in the MS shell just above the pump shaft and right below the Magazine well. The "detonator switches" sit in this whole with the push-buttons facing out to the left. I used four barbed tees and some extar tubing to get both of the SMDTG's to fit in the mag well.

The SuperMaxx blast chambers get 9" CPVC barrels and the SMDTG's get 5" PETG barrels. Each SuperMaxx blast chamber and each SMDTG detonator-trigger-assembly has a check valve behind it to prevent the air from leaving other blast chambers when one is fired (total of four check valves). With a network of barbed connectors and tees these are all connected to the existing MS trigger-valve (one-way push-button valve).

The last modification is the bladder. It has been reinforced with two layers of bike intertube to increase pressure. I'll post a more detailed write-up with some internal pictures when I've got more time, but for now, here are some pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by imaseoulman, 12 February 2008 - 07:39 PM.

#2 Texansharpshooter

Texansharpshooter

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:56 PM

Thats insane. You just harvested the Magstrike for the shell and not the semi auto, right?
Great Paintjob as well!
HERP DERP.

#3 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:56 PM

Excellent job on the painting, it really looks clean and crisp.
igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

That's disturbing. You have more triggers on that than there are on most brass instruments. Are you sure it doesn't double as a pipe organ?
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

Wow, very nice. That is a pretty sick integration. I have one question though, why the scope?
QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Apr 29 2008, 01:24 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kid Flash @ Apr 27 2008, 06:11 PM) View Post

What is the best way to go at removing a stump without any power tools? Thanks ahead of time!

Be a man! Use your hands!

#6 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:02 PM

I kind of wish you were still in Minnesota.

Kind of. Because everyone knows there are two sides to a gun: a shooting end, and a receiving end.

From the front, what are those 2 CPVC barrel-looking apparatuses? I thought they were two more barrels, but then it wouldn't be arachnophobia, would it?
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#7 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:04 PM

Are you sure you don't want to come back to MN?

I honestly did not think it would look this cool when you described it too me in PMs. Amazing.

#8 foamforce123

foamforce123

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

Wow what a beast. Very cool!
Deal wit it.

#9 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

Jesus fucking batshit Christ...

How long does that hold you out?
have you grown enough arms to use it yet?

That is pretty damn cool.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#10 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

Damn.

A thing of beauty. And sheesh, just what you need...more SM1500 firepower *wince*

What method did you use for that paintjob? It's crisp

And...psssst......your balls are showing.
Posted Image
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#11 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

Damn.

A thing of beauty. And sheesh, just what you need...more SM1500 firepower *wince*

What method did you use for that paintjob? It's crisp

And...psssst......your balls are showing.
Posted Image

I first spray-painted the wole gun chrome then cut strips of masking tape in the web shape (for the curved ones I put a strip of tape on a piece of plastic then cut out the curve with an exacto-knife) and put them on the gun then spray-painted the whole ting metallic blue.

Edited by imaseoulman, 07 February 2008 - 04:08 AM.

#12 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

What length are your SMDTG barrels? They look a little too long, and if you only had 3" barrels loading would be a lot easier.

#13 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:28 PM

What length are your SMDTG barrels? They look a little too long, and if you only had 3" barrels loading would be a lot easier.

They're at 5" right now. Once the temp gets above freezing I'm going to experiment w/ barrel length (I left them long so I can chop them down later). I'm guessing optimum barrel length (for maximum range) will be around 4.5" but I'm not sure. As far as barrel loading, I made a triple ram rod (I know vacc's against ram-rodding, but a triple ram rod for only two-three inches is quite efficient) so I can reload quite quickly.

#14 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:28 PM

Wow. Just wow.

I have to admit that I wasn't expecting quite this much when I saw it posted in the pictures thread. Way to shove that in my face.
QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#15 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

Very impressive!
The only thing I don't like about it is the external tubing but that is unavoidable at times.
Arachnophobia II has been added to the greats, in my book.

Any chance of a write up?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#16 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

Very impressive!
The only thing I don't like about it is the external tubing but that is unavoidable at times.
Arachnophobia II has been added to the greats, in my book.

Any chance of a write up?

Yeah, the external tubing was kinda unavoidable. I do have some smaller check valves coming in the mail and once I get those I'll probably glue down the check valves (after painting them) and then it will look more like the tubing is supposed to be there.

I plan on doing a full write-up (with internal pics) when I get caught up with all my school work; this is a busy semester for me. And, as always, thanks for the compliment.

Edited by imaseoulman, 22 January 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#17 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:38 AM

So, if I'm reading this right...by pulling the Magstrike trigger you let more air from the bladder into the firing tanks? Cool.

Also, if you could tell me what check valves you used (and/or where those "smaller check valves" are from), it would be greatly appreciated.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#18 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:48 AM

So, if I'm reading this right...by pulling the Magstrike trigger you let more air from the bladder into the firing tanks? Cool.

Also, if you could tell me what check valves you used (and/or where those "smaller check valves" are from), it would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, you're reading it right. It makes those SMDTG's even more amazing. I just love it.

Basically, this is how the gun operates:
1) Load all eight barrels (cpvc barrels are attached via couplers)
2) Pump about 60-70 times.
3) Squeeze the MS trigger to fill up all the air tanks (then if you want pump it up 10ish more times to refill the bladder to maximum capacity).
4) For long range shots pull the key rings to fire the SuperMaxx barrels. For an intense close-combat situation depress the thumb detonators.
5) Reload barrels (if I'm in combat I usually don't worry about the SM1500's and just reload the SMDTG's w/ my triple ramrod)
6) Repeat steps 3-5 until you need to refill the air bladder (by this time, combat should be done and over and you should have found cover...60-70 pumps isn't much fun)

The check valves I used are a spring-loaded ball valves with barbed connectors. When I originally ordered them I accidentally got them for the wrong tube ID so I'm getting smaller ones (I don't think the valve will be any smaller, just the connectors) to replace them. They can be found at mcmaster.com item #7757K11. I searched everywhere and that is the best price I can find (by far)!

Edited by imaseoulman, 07 February 2008 - 04:23 AM.

#19 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:48 AM

Hot damn.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#20 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:15 AM

Somehow I accidentally deleted this post earlier...so here it is again.

You just harvested the Magstrike for the shell and not the semi auto, right?

Sorta. I'm not using the pneumatic piston anymore, but I am utilizing the bladder for rapid tank refill.

That's disturbing. You have more triggers on that than there are on most brass instruments. Are you sure it doesn't double as a pipe organ?

Yeah, I guess five triggers is a bit much, but just wait 'til you see one of my upcoming projects!

Wow, very nice. That is a pretty sick integration. I have one question though, why the scope?

The scope adds at least 15' of range!

I kind of wish you were still in Minnesota.

Kind of. Because everyone knows there are two sides to a gun: a shooting end, and a receiving end.

From the front, what are those 2 CPVC barrel-looking apparatuses? I thought they were two more barrels, but then it wouldn't be arachnophobia, would it?

It's a couple of pieces of CPVC to stabilize the SMDTG's.

How long does that hold you out?
have you grown enough arms to use it yet?

Well, if I'm using just the SMDTG's, I can get something like 30 shots off before having to refill the bladder. As far as having enough arms...it's really simple to use. My right hand fires the SuperMaxx blast chambers (all very conveniently and comfortably). The natural position of my left hand is right where the detonator switches are. Putting my thumb on one of those detonators is just as comfortable and natural as having my finger on the trigger.

Edited by imaseoulman, 07 February 2008 - 09:57 AM.

#21 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

Good lord, I
I can't construct a sentence to describe how much I would fear seeing that at a war. It looks delicious, very nice job.

#22 Paloose

Paloose

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:44 AM

It's like Slug's Paintball tank, but more compact. That's fuckin' ridiculous.

#23 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

That's a pretty intense piece of equipment you got there. I've never been a huge fan of key ring triggers, but it they're comfortable to you it isn't even an issue. The only real suggestion I would have has already been voiced but I'd like to give my reasoning. Cutting down the smdtg barrels to 3" or so for fast reloading would make this a force. You said yourself that the blast chambers are gonna be your primary concern when under fire, and when in the type of combat that might require a multidart burst as opposed to single long range shots a ram rod is gonna defeat the purpose of your quick fire mechanisms. You really have no need for the smdtg barrels to get more than 30-40 ft or range, and they should still get that with shorter barrels. As for accuracy, again, that's not the goal of those shots.

So great job dude. Get it to a war and test it out. That's the only way to figure out how to refine it for maximum effectiveness.

VACC

#24 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

That's a pretty intense piece of equipment you got there. I've never been a huge fan of key ring triggers, but it they're comfortable to you it isn't even an issue. The only real suggestion I would have has already been voiced but I'd like to give my reasoning. Cutting down the smdtg barrels to 3" or so for fast reloading would make this a force. You said yourself that the blast chambers are gonna be your primary concern when under fire, and when in the type of combat that might require a multidart burst as opposed to single long range shots a ram rod is gonna defeat the purpose of your quick fire mechanisms. You really have no need for the smdtg barrels to get more than 30-40 ft or range, and they should still get that with shorter barrels. As for accuracy, again, that's not the goal of those shots.

So great job dude. Get it to a war and test it out. That's the only way to figure out how to refine it for maximum effectiveness.

VACC

Your assessment (regarding key-rings, accuracy, and range) is right on the money. I mean, I already assumed this to be the case, but you've obviously NERFed quite a bit. Until this gun, I also have never been a fan of key-ring triggers, especially when they aren't in easy reach of your trigger finger. Pulling a key ring while holding the gun with a different hand KILLS accuracy. But the MS seems made to have key rings right there. After I put PETG around the brass tubing to reduce the friction from the metal wire...it worked like a dream. I have done a small amount of battling with this gun before I painted, but that was done indoor. Once temperatures get back up there I'll take it outside without fear of everything shattering from sub-zero temperatures. 30-40 ft range is fine for me as long as I'm hitting people from 30-40 ft. If my darts are getting stock NF range, I'd be screwed (most of the guys I NERF with use either quadded AT2K's or PETGed AT3K's) pretty quickly. But, again, once I can get outside and range test with different barrel lengths, 3" may suffice. I still maintain, however, that the use of a triple ramrod makes the reload time difference nearly insignificant. But you are absolutely right, the only way to tell will be to war test. Thanks for your critiquing, Vacc.

Edited by imaseoulman, 07 February 2008 - 09:57 AM.

#25 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

Hey, good mod and pj.

Tell me the brand name of that chrome paint you used, and what your clear coat was. Or else. B)
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users