Pvc Trouble

Please help me

10 replies to this topic

#1 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

Today I bought a brand new night finder and began thinking of mods to do to it. I decided on building a bigger plunger tube out of PVC. I thought of using 3/4" PVC because it was comparable in size with the stock plunger tube. Because I don't even know were to begin on making my own plunger mechanism I plan on extending the length of the stock one and using the stock plunger head. The only problem is that the plunger head just barely doesn't fit into the PVC. What I need help on is a way to expand the inside diameter of the PVC evenly so that the plunger can move through snuggly.

Any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
-PointBlank
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#2 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

Today I bought a brand new night finder and began thinking of mods to do to it. I decided on building a bigger plunger tube out of PVC. I thought of using 3/4" PVC because it was comparable in size with the stock plunger tube. Because I don't even know were to begin on making my own plunger mechanism I plan on extending the length of the stock one and using the stock plunger head. The only problem is that the plunger head just barely doesn't fit into the PVC. What I need help on is a way to expand the inside diameter of the PVC evenly so that the plunger can move through snuggly.

Any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
-PointBlank

What is the outside diameter of the plunger? (I haven't had one open yet). I know that you have already purchased this piece of pipe, but did you try taking the plunger to a store and trying it inside different types of pipe? As far as expanding the diameter, the only real option is to bore it out with a giant drill bit. But if you don't have exactly the right size, then buying a bit that large is going to be expensive. Certainly more costly than finding a different pipe.
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Feb 21 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

How come no one ever intends to create a pun? Whenever I make a pun it is always intended. There's nothing wrong with puns.

#3 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

Yes, I did go to the store to select which size to buy.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

What I need help on is a way to expand the inside diameter of the PVC evenly so that the plunger can move through snuggly.

You can't change the inner or outer diameter of a part cleanly without a lathe. You'll have better luck trying to modify the plunger head.

I don't have a NiteFinder to take apart and measure with a digital caliper right this second, so instead look at this thread:
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8084

KBarker did exactly what you're trying to do.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 06 February 2008 - 06:01 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

Ditch the stock plunger head and make your own with a neoprene fender washer (I think that's what it's called...) Carbon uses them in his SNAP series, and they seem to work well. I'd get some dimensions down and check that method out. Boring out the inside of your plunger tube will leave the interior scratched up and will most likely have a poor seal with the o ring.

#6 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

You need thin wall 3/4 PVC
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

You need thin wall 3/4 PVC

That's not a terribly specific suggestion/ What Schedule or type of pipe are your recommending? If you don't know for sure what exactly it is you're recommending and that it is definitely going to work, then you probably shouldn't suggest it.
The OP didn't really way exactly what kind of pipe he tried to use anyways. All we know is the OD based on the 3/4 size designation.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

I saw a writeup on it using 3/4 thin wall. sch. 40.MOD
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#9 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

Since I am not fortunate enough to have a lathe I am making myself a makeshift lathe with a drill a dowel rod and sand paper it actually looks like its going to work. And thanks for all the suggestions thus far especially CaptainSlug.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#10 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

Since I am not fortunate enough to have a lathe I am making myself a makeshift lathe with a drill a dowel rod and sand paper it actually looks like its going to work. And thanks for all the suggestions thus far especially CaptainSlug.

make sure to use multiple passes, and probably do your final pass with at least 600 grit paper, 1000 grit if you can get it. Also, if it were me, I would probably wash the inside surface with carburetor cleaner when done. It will gloss the surface.
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Feb 21 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

How come no one ever intends to create a pun? Whenever I make a pun it is always intended. There's nothing wrong with puns.

#11 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:24 PM

Ive tried everything so far and it's not accomplishing anything. I have decided to give up on the matter and try a diferent mod. Oh well.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users