Photo

Ultrox Quadra Cannon!

My modifications to this crazy looking gun...

17 replies to this topic

#1 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

So a few months ago, I had an ACL reconstruction on my right knee... While I was laid up in recovery, my wife bought me this crazy looking "Ultrox Quadra Cannon" (thanks to Darkshrimp for locating the manufacturer info). Now, I didn't exactly remember the name of the manufacturer, or the gun itself, probably because I was on painkillers at the time. :blink: Regardless, what I ended up with was a very elaborate looking, spring gun with a manually rotating four barrel turret. It has these extra couple of pods on the side, in which I like to keep extra darts, and the center unit is the handle for the cocking mechanism.

Posted Image

Stock ranges were around 35-40 feet individually. It also has a shotgun mode where all four barrels fire. This dropped the ranges down to about 30 feet. Originally, the darts were shot using the hollow peg design, which miffed me a little. While the darts that came with it would fire normally from any of our other guns, nerf darts wouldn't fit, as the holes were not large enough. So, this is how I fixed that problem.

I ended up completely disassembling the front end, then moving on to the back. But after I got the handle and trigger mechanism apart I decided that I didn't even want to deal with the crazyness housed within the plunger assembly. So I reassembled the back and and went to work on the turret. It was pretty straight forward, as I had decided that CPVC would have to do, since I can't get anything else locally.

Posted Image

I began by removing the posts, and then drilled right through the air restrictor behind them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

It was working out very nicely when I found that the 1/2" couplers would slide over most of this base portion. Except that the ABS of the base was apparently stronger than the coupler. No big deal, right? Until I realized that the cover wouldn't fit over the couplers anyway... *sigh*

Posted Image

What I ended up doing was cutting out the cross beams and the top section of the base. Then I cut down the couplers about 1/4" and slid them on. The cover still wouldn't go on because of the extra width.

Posted Image

Next, I mounted the couplers in the drill press and red-neck-lathe turned them down a bit. The finally fit in, just not as well as originally. Meh.*shrugs shoulders*

Pretty straight forward from here, as I just cut some six inch barrels and stuck them in, then reassembled the turret.

Ranges have now improved greatly to 50-60 feet single shot (taggers, haven't tried stefans yet), and about 40 feet shotgun style. It seems to vary quite a bit with each dart, and the looser fit pairings seem to work better. I may do some additional work to the barrels to improve consistency. Of course, the hard part is already done, since I know have the standard couplers in the turret.

Posted Image

UPDATE: I have since remove the CPVC barrels and bored them out using a 13mm drill bit. It works very nicely, though one must take care to go slowly, as the tubing will heat up and flex around the bit, instead of cutting. All four barrels are now very consistently 60 foot shooters.

Edited by Kabuki, 06 February 2008 - 03:26 PM.

QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Feb 21 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

How come no one ever intends to create a pun? Whenever I make a pun it is always intended. There's nothing wrong with puns.

#2 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

Sounds cool. It must be a gun in the cyberstrike line, or an off brand.
Is it the ratchetblast? it sounds like it in the description.
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#3 NerfGnome

NerfGnome

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

Sounds cool. It must be a gun in the cyberstrike line, or an off brand.
Is it the ratchetblast? it sounds like it in the description.

If I remember correctly, the Ratchetblast cannot fire all 4 barrels at once, and its turret was not manually rotated.
"Women are like Parking spots. The good ones are taken, and the only open ones are handicapped."

#4 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

If I remember correctly, the Ratchetblast cannot fire all 4 barrels at once, and its turret was not manually rotated.

Yeah, the ratchet blast can only fire one at a time and the turret doesn't rotate at all.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#5 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:21 PM

Intriguing, but dude, get some pictures.
Nice job tho :D
Thanks
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#6 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

Intriguing, but dude, get some pictures.
Nice job tho :D
Thanks

I'm trying, but both of the places I normally store pictures online use dynamic URLs, and apparently NH doesn't allow them? And the web space I pay for with my internet connection is going through "upgrades" and is not currently allowing changes and uploads. So I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know if Flickr uses static or dynamic addressing? I don't really like PhotoBucket.

How come no one ever intends to create a pun? Whenever I make a pun it is always intended. There's nothing wrong with puns.

#7 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

Awe come on. You only need to do this to get a picture to where we can get it. What's your problem with Photobucket?
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#8 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

Awe come on. You only need to do this to get a picture to where we can get it. What's your problem with Photobucket?

I don't want to start another account with another service if I don't need to. I already HAVE three, but two are incompatible and one is not functioning at the moment.

#9 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:42 PM

allyoucanupload.webshots.com

The best I've used so far... Is it a Airtech 1000?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#10 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

Keef, I don't think you were paying attention to the posts. Kabuki already said that he doesn't want to sign up for another if he doesn't have to. By the way, what's your Flickr username Kabuki?
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#11 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

You don't have to sign up. If you clicked the link you would of known that. They don't delete pictures either. I still have a 7 month old picture from there active.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#12 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

Sorry, I don't HAVE a Flickr account, but I was curious. I'm using Picasa, and that seems to be working okay. It's nice that my blog, email, and now pics are all Google based. I've been very impressed with their products.

#13 Diablo

Diablo

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:27 AM

Pretty good mod to a very interesting gun. I don't think I've ever seen that blaster before. I would have to say it's not Nerf brand, unless I'm forgetting something.

-Diablo

NHQ Administrator | www.nerfhq.com

#14 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

Looks like it's the Ultrox Quadra Cannon.

http://mgae.com/2006...uadraCannon.asp
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#15 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Looks like it's the Ultrox Quadra Cannon.

Yay! Thanks for finding it!

#16 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:04 PM

Woo, I know what I'm buying. According to the Alien Racers website, the Ultrox is coming to Kmart and Target online in the fall. I really like the look of this gun, and shotgun mode is always a plus. 40 feet is an awesome range for four darts, this would make for an excellent close-quarters weapon. Do you know where your wife bought it, Kabuki?

#17 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

Bad news yourface, but they are talking about the fall of 2006. I picked one up on 60% clearance from K-Mart early last year. I could never even find the other gun. Good luck finding one, but I havent' seen one since I got mine.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#18 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

Woo, I know what I'm buying. According to the Alien Racers website, the Ultrox is coming to Kmart and Target online in the fall. I really like the look of this gun, and shotgun mode is always a plus. 40 feet is an awesome range for four darts, this would make for an excellent close-quarters weapon. Do you know where your wife bought it, Kabuki?

I believe it was the United Grocer's Canned Food Warehouse. AKA "Cash and Carry".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users