Stock ranges were around 35-40 feet individually. It also has a shotgun mode where all four barrels fire. This dropped the ranges down to about 30 feet. Originally, the darts were shot using the hollow peg design, which miffed me a little. While the darts that came with it would fire normally from any of our other guns, nerf darts wouldn't fit, as the holes were not large enough. So, this is how I fixed that problem.
I ended up completely disassembling the front end, then moving on to the back. But after I got the handle and trigger mechanism apart I decided that I didn't even want to deal with the crazyness housed within the plunger assembly. So I reassembled the back and and went to work on the turret. It was pretty straight forward, as I had decided that CPVC would have to do, since I can't get anything else locally.
I began by removing the posts, and then drilled right through the air restrictor behind them.
It was working out very nicely when I found that the 1/2" couplers would slide over most of this base portion. Except that the ABS of the base was apparently stronger than the coupler. No big deal, right? Until I realized that the cover wouldn't fit over the couplers anyway... *sigh*
What I ended up doing was cutting out the cross beams and the top section of the base. Then I cut down the couplers about 1/4" and slid them on. The cover still wouldn't go on because of the extra width.
Next, I mounted the couplers in the drill press and red-neck-lathe turned them down a bit. The finally fit in, just not as well as originally. Meh.*shrugs shoulders*
Pretty straight forward from here, as I just cut some six inch barrels and stuck them in, then reassembled the turret.
Ranges have now improved greatly to 50-60 feet single shot (taggers, haven't tried stefans yet), and about 40 feet shotgun style. It seems to vary quite a bit with each dart, and the looser fit pairings seem to work better. I may do some additional work to the barrels to improve consistency. Of course, the hard part is already done, since I know have the standard couplers in the turret.
UPDATE: I have since remove the CPVC barrels and bored them out using a 13mm drill bit. It works very nicely, though one must take care to go slowly, as the tubing will heat up and flex around the bit, instead of cutting. All four barrels are now very consistently 60 foot shooters.
Edited by Kabuki, 06 February 2008 - 03:26 PM.