Photo

Recon Shoulder Stock Rebuild With Spring Integration And Shotgun Mod.

Complete with finished pictures!

52 replies to this topic

#26 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

Holly crap that is amazing! All that it is missing is the picks of it put back together.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#27 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

Why did you remove the pop up sight on the barrel extenuation? once folded down the the sight on the coking slider makes a very iron sight. That is what the notches in the circular peace are for.
I hope that made sense.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#28 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

Crap, my bad on the dp.

Edited by P.C. III, 16 February 2008 - 06:06 PM.

QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#29 OberonFox

OberonFox

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Why did you remove the pop up sight on the barrel extenuation? once folded down the the sight on the coking slider makes a very iron sight. That is what the notches in the circular peace are for.
I hope that made sense.

Yeah, I know it's an effective iron sight. I just hate iron sights. That and I have a nice red dot sight I got from Wally-world that will look real nice on this as soon as I can dig it out of storage.

And now, the unveiling.

Posted Image

It's obviously a little harder to cock with the paint thickening certain parts that slide past each other. The added spring adds to this. The extra weight from the light and braces isn't that much and it feels great with the shoulder stock. Definitely my new primary. I'll stick with my NF sidearm for the further ranges. And with some beautiful weather today I finally got to do some range tests. For a six shot clip i got this:

58'
62'
53'
55'
65'
63'

Nothing Effeminate, but solid. And with the ease of clip replacement and increased rate of fire with the shotgun mod, I couldn't be happier. Thanks for taking the time to view this, and I can't wait to see some more Recon mods. Maybe I'll finally tackle my LS now.
"I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea."

#30 QuannyG

QuannyG

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:42 AM

It's a pity that they don't sell Recons in Australia...

Very well done, excellent craftmanship
QuannyG: School Captain

#31 nerfispwnage243

nerfispwnage243

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

Dude, I have to hand it to you, that has to be the coolest looking recon I've seen. I will definately be doing this once I make time for it. Keep up the good work!

#32 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

Nice Job! It's clean, functional, and awesome. Like I said before, the Recon is just plain fun, and I think your mods put the fun back in functional (wow, I can't believe I just typed that)

A couple questions:

What did you make the new foregrip pieces out of? (and is there any chance for a template?)
How difficult is it to remove the barrel extension? (for example, for a pistol's only round or something)
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#33 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

Whoa, That is a tactical shotgun you got there. I love this site because there are people with talent and such great ideas that the mods look so clean its as if thats how they came stock.

Congrats man i will be doing this mod soon.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#34 OberonFox

OberonFox

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

Nice Job! It's clean, functional, and awesome. Like I said before, the Recon is just plain fun, and I think your mods put the fun back in functional (wow, I can't believe I just typed that)

A couple questions:

What did you make the new foregrip pieces out of? (and is there any chance for a template?)
How difficult is it to remove the barrel extension? (for example, for a pistol's only round or something)

The braces are made out of clear plastic sheeting I got as a single sheet piece from Lowes and then cut out. The sheet is only about an 1/8th of an inch thick as I only had my Dremel to cut them out with. Large vibration will actually cause it to crack and break, so if you cut it with anything that isn't a nice high power tool make sure to have a firm grip on it to prevent that. I shattered two earlier attempts before i got four of those shapes.

The single sheets by themselves were far too flimsy to take the force of pushing back and forth, so I got two wooden Popsicle sticks and used them as a stabilizing shank in between two pieces and epoxy puttied them together.

As far as determining the holes for them, since the plastic is clear, I just put the cocking slide all the way back, and placed the fore-grip light back to just shy of all the way back. Then it was just a simple thing to mark the spots on the plastic with a sharpie where I intended the holes to go and cut the shape around that.

All of it is secured with nuts that I only finger tighten. So it takes all of 30 seconds to unscrew the six nuts and wiggle off the braces so i can take the barrel off. The bolts are still attached to the slide, and the stock with it's extra spring still sides off, so the pistol is still perfectly functional all by itself.

If I had a nice table saw or equivalent I would have just gotten the nice thick plastic Lucite sheets or some aluminum rails or something. But this worked out surprisingly well.

As a final warning. I have since found out, that after repeated firing, the epoxy putty is not the greatest for shear forces and the rear bolt on one side has developed a crack in the putty around it. So make sure to really secure those in there if you're using my method and not permanently attaching it to the frame.

Thanks again for all the compliments guys, it's nice to get a little reward after the work.

Edited by OberonFox, 17 February 2008 - 05:48 PM.

"I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea."

#35 camo

camo

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:17 PM

how are the bolts attached to the gun itself?

#36 Mod Watchamacallit

Mod Watchamacallit

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:51 PM

Its good! i tried it with my reacon too! it works amazingly!
lets hope the bad guy gets away.......

----[[-]]------------------[[8]]----[[8]]<----- psp game (+[_].:)

#37 Lt Pwnage

Lt Pwnage

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

Could you post a list of materials? I'm thinking of doing this, but it would be much easier to simply have a list I can C&P and print to bring to Home Depot
[/sarcasm]
QUOTE(VACC @ Feb 21 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

Well it's embarrassing. I mean, OBVIOUSLY I totally intended that pun, but if I had admitted it people would have called me a cock-jockey. I am NOT a jockey; I'm a fucking stallion!

#38 OberonFox

OberonFox

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

how are the bolts attached to the gun itself?

They're epoxy puttyed into the small recess at the rear of the slide.

Could you post a list of materials? I'm thinking of doing this, but it would be much easier to simply have a list I can C&P and print to bring to Home Depot

Oh jesus, a shopping list? Heh, let me try and remember. OK, here's the gist.

1 Recon
1 MiniMaglite
2 tubes Epoxy Putty (There are various types: some dry in 5 minutes, some take 30)
1 sheet of thin (maybe 1/8th inch thick) plastic. They sell it in the window section of Lowes. in 4' x 3' sheets.
4 1/2" long 1/16" diameter bolts
2 1" bolts for fore-grip (they have to reach out wider to meet the brace)
6 nuts ( I got the kind with the plastic seal on the one side to prevent overscrewing.)
10 washers to go on the inside of the fore-grip braces. acts as a a support for them so the plastic won't bend too far in.

And if you're doing the shoulder stock mod as well as the shotgun:

1 3 1/2" length of 1" pipe, dremeled out slightly to accommodate plunger tube
1 1/2" length of 1" pipe for the inside of the mid-brace, 1/2" pipe inside is optional
1 Leftover NF or equivalent sized spring

E-tape, rubber bands and lots and lots of re-measuring may be required as well. All in all I spent about $25 on the whole project and now I have a ton of leftover pipe. I had to buy them in 10' sections.

Hope this helps!

#39 Lt Pwnage

Lt Pwnage

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, man... It may have been a hassle for you, but it will make all of our lives alot easier!
[/sarcasm]
QUOTE(VACC @ Feb 21 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

Well it's embarrassing. I mean, OBVIOUSLY I totally intended that pun, but if I had admitted it people would have called me a cock-jockey. I am NOT a jockey; I'm a fucking stallion!

#40 OberonFox

OberonFox

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

The hassle is half the fun!

#41 Bonzipon

Bonzipon

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

Beautiful. Clean. Nice paintjob. Good write-up. I will certainly be doing this sooner or later. I have searched all through the forums, and this has got to be the best recon mod so far.

BonziPon
I'm with the vampires of course.

Rawr.

#42 bassguitar95

bassguitar95

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

so what are the ranges now ??
If your at walmart and theres a sale on big blasts and apple juce
get the big blast

#43 rippen11

rippen11

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

I know i shouldn't be the one telling you this, but before the mods get after you and a flame war starts, it is extremely erotic to bring back (necro) a topic more than a month old. Or maybe it's only two weeks. I forget. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I just want to help before you get a bunch of shit about it.

Who says i buy balls from a store?

Nightfinder

Why is your cat in your arsenal? Perhaps it shoots LASERS?!?!

Captain Slug

#44 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

I know i shouldn't be the one telling you this, but before the mods get after you and a flame war starts, it is extremely erotic to bring back (necro) a topic more than a month old. Or maybe it's only two weeks. I forget. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I just want to help before you get a bunch of shit about it.

No, you got it. Its more then a month. And this is three. I appreciate it when people are polite, and you were. Wow, someone new who isn't a complete douche. Good job. You win my vote.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#45 EZEKIEL666

EZEKIEL666

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

thats an awesome recon

question i have one of the newer recons thats has a black endcap for the plunger to come back into i was wondering if this mod would still work with it

#46 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

thats an awesome recon

question i have one of the newer recons thats has a black endcap for the plunger to come back into i was wondering if this mod would still work with it

You realize that you just posted in a topic that was a month old, and your grammar sucks so fix it otherwise the admins will kick you off.

Edited by bamblack2000, 21 December 2008 - 10:43 PM.

#47 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

thats an awesome recon

You realize that you just posted in a topic that was a month old, and your grammar sucks so fix it otherwise the admins will kick you off.

Im starting to beleive that the admins should no longer be accepting any new members to the Haven. Fucking children...
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#48 Puppylayer

Puppylayer

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

Not to post a reply to keep this somewhat dead topic alive, but instead of banning retarded members (in which case does not teach discipline to new, and even more retarded members), violaters of the CoC should be forced to retype the entire CoC, word for word, without any errors (wich will then FORCE them to use grammar).

Once this is fufilled, then and ONLY then, their accounts will be unsuspended.

The only problem I see with this system is that Copy & Paste is now a tool of evil. However, I believe there are ways to protect against that.

Just Brainstorming...
QUOTE(nerfer9 @ Dec 26 2008, 01:34 PM) View Post

Coal? You're santa arent you! You didn't give me that bike I wanted! Prepare to die!

Also active as Slayer_of_OnE at NerfLovers!

#49 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

And again ,not to beat a dead horse, but I think that its the 9o% of new users that give the 10% of us a bad name (first post by the way). I think that idea of re-writing the CoC should be enforced so the professionalism of deathly plastic weapons can be preserved.
Or my personal favorite, the mini butane blow torch! That will thing will remove the gay from of Clay Aiken.
-Banshee

#50 EZEKIEL666

EZEKIEL666

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

thats an awesome recon

Im starting to beleive that the admins should no longer be accepting any new members to the Haven. Fucking children...

Just to reiterate what i was trying to say apart from the fact that i am not a child i have one of my own

I do realise this topic hadn't been posted on for months but i was hoping someone would be able to help as i cannot find anything on the newer recons with a black end cap over the orange plunger now to make a valid point as the endcap would interfere with the new shoulderstock with intergrated spring i was asking if there was a way around it i apoligise for posting on what you deem as a dead topic but if it was dead then why the hell were you reading it i do have a valid question for anyone who could answer it

and if the admin wanted to ban me they would

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users