So I Want To Make A Nerf Gun...

please help.

20 replies to this topic

#1 Nerf-a-Rama

Nerf-a-Rama

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

But I need to know where to get good parts at cheap prices. I wanted to make one that fires BBB missles but can fire micro darts too. COuld you guys tell me what parts I need for a pump and everything too? I am new and have never made a nerf gun before :( I would imagine it being like this: (I suck at ms paint)

Posted Image

#2 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

Well, you could take a solenoid with the screw type fittings, and make a 90 degree angle to the pump.

The solenoid could be where your "airtank" would be
and the pump should have the airtank there, with a tire valve and a bike pump under that. Use the 15 dollar one at Walmart with the built in tire gauge, It works GREAT.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#3 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

I take it you're not new to nerf modding, but only to homemades? If that's the case, then just read over all the articles here.

Edited by Peter, 01 February 2008 - 09:02 PM.

igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#4 Nerf-a-Rama

Nerf-a-Rama

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

Ok, thanks alot. I saw a 5 dollar one at target and I dont have much money... I will see how the 5$ one works out first, if not good, I will try to get the 15 dollar one that you said.

#5 PharaonArin

PharaonArin

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

Why dont you buy a BBB? Its only $20. If you crayola'd it'll still shoot the arrows.

Edit: Shit i had a really noob moment. I forgot how to read. Back on topic. Do what Keef said.

Edited by PharaonArin, 01 February 2008 - 09:25 PM.

#6 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

Ok, thanks alot. I saw a 5 dollar one at target and I dont have much money... I will see how the 5$ one works out first, if not good, I will try to get the 15 dollar one that you said.

Just go for the $10 or $15 one. I bought a $5 one at target, it broke. Then I had to go back, exchange, and get the other $10 one.

#7 Nerf-a-Rama

Nerf-a-Rama

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

Why dont you buy a BBB? Its only $20. If you crayola'd it'll still shoot the arrows.

I have a BBB :( And I wanted to finally make one. And does home depot sell petg? Because I wanted to know before I paid for shipping for petg from omc.

#8 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:58 PM

You can buy a cheap pump, it doesn't make that much of a difference, but the way most bike pumps break is that the valve stem bends. Just make sure not to keep the pump plugged in there all the time, like while you are running in a nerf war. (that will bend the valve stem pretty bad), and make sure it doesn't move around when you pump. Here is something close to what you might want. It has full on instructions and pics. If you haven't looked at it already.
And no, home depot doesn't sell PETG. I have checked time after time. :(

Edited by Bomberman, 01 February 2008 - 10:00 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#9 Nerf-a-Rama

Nerf-a-Rama

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

My first attemp of a nerf gun was never completed. It was a 2-liter bottle with a brass sink nozzle attached to the top and had a bike tire valve in the bottom of it. Never had a barrel or a pump :(

#10 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

The 15 dollar pump with a bike valve gooped onto it went up to 45 PSI fine. I'm afraid going about that because I'm not certain I'm great at PVC welding, and don't want to chance a PVC grenade in my stomach.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#11 Nerf-a-Rama

Nerf-a-Rama

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:19 PM

lol. Does home depot sell brass barrels at least?

#12 Scotch

Scotch

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

lol. Does home depot sell brass barrels at least?

Home depot does not sell PETG. Also they only sell 1/2'' brass which I do not thing is very good.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Woah, woah, slow down there buddy. If you put it ALL in your mouth at once you're just gonna gag and get it all over the carpet.

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:00 AM

Do we really need to hand-feed everyone all of the information they could be looking up themselves?

In particular start by reading this: http://nerfhaven.com...made/cxwq_bamf/
And 3DBBQ's threads as well as others in the directory: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7753
Or this one: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8813

Edited by CaptainSlug, 02 February 2008 - 01:01 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#14 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

I just thought of something, you know those sport-water bottles? Couldn't their caps be used as valves, if so just put a pump on the bottle, and a barrel on the cam and bingo easy homemade.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#15 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:32 AM

Any homemades using pressurized air inside of an airtank should not be built out of shitty materials. I'm sorry, but that's the simplest way I can put it. The bastardization that you'll end up building will most likely leak air and--well--suck.

If you're going to put the time into actually designing and building such a gun, it would be best to use parts that actually work, and work well. Pressurized airtank guns really need a higher level of quality in order for them to work.

Plunger-based homemades, on the other hand, are more easily built and small leaks here and there don't affect performance as much.

Rest assured, I'm not saying that it's impossible to build a homemade using water bottle caps and water bottles and stuff like that, it's just that you could build something so much better for the time you're putting into the thing.

As far as firing different types of ammunition--it has nothing to do with the homemade itself. It's all in the barrel. Go measure the ammo you want to fling with a ruler and find a material that works (by utilizing these forums and a little common sense--not just the forums).

Finally, as CS said, searching is good. There are already directories set up for modifications and homemades. The search function should also be used if you want something more specific.

I apologize if all this sounds harsh, but VACC is on the hunt, people.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#16 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:03 AM

Building a pump.
(for the one-way valve, use the McMaster-Carr part. The homemade one I have up isn't very reliable; I'm working on a new one)

If you want, just reference the picture and build your own.
Posted Image
Or yea, you could go buy one like everybody else is suggesting.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#17 Nerf-a-Rama

Nerf-a-Rama

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:18 PM

Well, I'll just buy one...

#18 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

Not to backseat mod, but shouldn't this be in homemades?
QUOTE(Ro-Sham-Bo @ Mar 28 2008, 08:28 PM) View Post

(Never heard an old woman scream so loud) -Don't sigg that

QUOTE(Crimmy @ Apr 23 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

i'm retarded

#19 Nerf-a-Rama

Nerf-a-Rama

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, I realized that AFTER I posted it :P

#20 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

That was a great first post. :huh:
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#21 Nerf-a-Rama

Nerf-a-Rama

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

That was a great first post. :huh:

lol, good point, i have a bike pump now (it was 8$) all I need now is to find my old experiment and turn off this crappy music playing beside me :P

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users