Pex Barrels

I searched...

17 replies to this topic

#1 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

Where can you find PEX? I know it's in Home Depot, and Lowe's, but what section?

THanks
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#2 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

Its either in the plumbing aisle, or at the end, with the PVC conduit with all the lawn stuff and crap. Its the first aisle by mine.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#3 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

Mine is right next to the CPVC in the plumbing section. Beware though; you won't be able to use a lot of it for barrels due to the fact that it's very floppy. It was kinda funny, I asked someone at Home Depot where the PEX was and she pointed it out to me and then bent it in two to demonstrate how "it was a revolution because it could fit almost anywhere". It hurt me… ALOT.

#4 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

Penguin, I remember seeing your MAxshot in the Mod/PJ pics, and it had a Pex Barrel.

You said it was too short, did you keep it short because it was floppy? (hehe)

ANyways,, that's cool, and what's the minimum size you can buy it in?

I'll look into this stuff

Thanks guys
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#5 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

Yup. I can't get a piece of PEX that's longer than 3" that doesn't have a curve to it. You can even see that a 2" barrel curves slightly upwards on my Maxshot.

Posted Image

It's has a very nice fit on my darts. I can only get it in 10ft lengths (Stupid Home Depot wouldn't cut it for me), but it's like 50 cents a foot and aside from the floppy-ness, it's one of my favorite barrel materials.

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

(Stupid Home Depot wouldn't cut it for me),

I used to work at one. They have to. They won't cut it at the lumber saws, but the plumbing staff have to.
They could cut it down to 10 one foot segments but it would be less doushe-like to pick up a pipe cutter and do it yourself.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#7 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

Then they have some rule breakers at the Newmarket one. If any of you were wondering I ended up cutting it with hedge trimmers. Why did I have them in the back of my car? I may never know...

Edited by penguin807, 17 January 2008 - 11:34 PM.

#8 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:26 PM

In order to use a longer barrel, you could try nesting it in PVC. I don't know for sure, but 1/2" may be too small...maybe 3/4", with some craft foam or electrical tape to make a tight fit.

Edited by jwasko, 17 January 2008 - 11:28 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#9 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

I don't mean to hijack, but whats the difference between normal PVC and PEX? I mean the diameters and such, not properties.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#10 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

Mcmaster say:

PEX OD .625"
PEX ID .475"

SCH. 40 PVC OD: .84"
SCH. 40 PVC ID: .608"

Also, (according to Qui'lan Fett) the average hardware store's CPVC (or whatever it actually is):
OD~.48"
ID~.63"

"Wait a minute. Strike that . Reverse it."

ID~.48"
OD~.63"

There we are. Thanks for the tip, Qui'lan.

Edited by jwasko, 17 January 2008 - 11:56 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#11 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

Also, (according to Qui'lan Fett) the average hardware store's CPVC (or whatever it actually is):
OD~.48"
ID~.63"

Thanks for spelling my name right, but you switched around ID and OD.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#12 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:03 AM

I get my pex from Ace. 5` segments.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#13 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:08 AM

OK, so it IS in the plumbing section of Home Depot?

I'd rather go to Ace because I want some goop, FBR, and PEX, but it's like 20 minutes from here.

I can walk to Home Depot and Lowes
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#14 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

I don't mean to hijack, but whats the difference between normal PVC and PEX? I mean the diameters and such, not properties.

PVC = Polyvinyl chloride
PEX = Cross-linked Polethylene

Polyethylene tubing is used primarily for waterlines in plant nurseries because it's UV resistant (helps prevent algae build-up in the lines). In some states it's an allowed substitute for copper in water line applications.
Like copper the outer diameter of PEX tubing is in fractional sizes. Polyethylene tubing is also meant to be usable with instant tube fittings or barbed tube fittings so it has a lower hardness rating.

I wouldn't use PEX or Copper for barrels because they're too soft/flexible and easy to distort.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 18 January 2008 - 10:27 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#15 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:40 AM

The only real positive I ever found from using pex is that if you carefully bend it with a heat gun, you can get a fairly smooth Bent barrel that does actually shoot around corners. if I find it, I'll post a pic.

-Bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#16 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

did you keep it short because it was floppy?

Well since I dont have a sig, and everyone now has sigs that propose something somewhat dirty, I will just sig that. Thanks.

Back on topic, I think I would work good in something nested outside of it and in a plunger gun since it is really tight on darts(obviously), or thats what I heard atleast. And sorry if someone already said this, Im in a lil rush so I couldnt read everything.

EDIT: Jwasko beat me to it.

Edited by rokor, 18 January 2008 - 05:46 PM.

"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#17 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:25 PM

Yeah rokor, I knew that would end up being added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole :D .

ON another note, thank you everybody in this thread, I'll definitely get some of this.

Thank you
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#18 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

(Stupid Home Depot wouldn't cut it for me),

I used to work at one. They have to. They won't cut it at the lumber saws, but the plumbing staff have to.
They could cut it down to 10 one foot segments but it would be less doushe-like to pick up a pipe cutter and do it yourself.

I just cut it my self personally. They have all the pipe cutters by the plumbing, so I just pick one up and trim it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users