#1 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  • State:California
  • Mad Artisan Labs on Youtube

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hey Guys, I've been fairly busy working on my application to Chapman's Film school, and one of the requirements was to Make a Short that Showed your ability to tell a story, and one of your other interests, since it's not that easy to tell a story about nerf, I made one about one of my sock creature characters. The Film's Title is D-wayne Makes A friend. Falcon, who is an amazing composer wrote the music for it.

Enjoy:

On youtube:

-Bags

Edited by baghead, 16 August 2008 - 10:09 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#2 Guest_CornMan_*

Guest_CornMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

That is funny. I thought you were going to draw another character, but it was the blender. Tell me: Why did D-Wayne love the blender?

#3 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

That is funny. I thought you were going to draw another character, but it was the blender. Tell me: Why did D-Wayne love the blender?

The World may Never Know.

#4 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:44 PM

The credits were almost as funny as the movie.
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#5 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State:Michigan

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

I liked the movie. May there be more to come
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#6 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

Wow, astounding job. I love it. The stop-motion animation was VERY well done. The music really brought the whole thing together as well. Great job composing falcon.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#7 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

Very nicely done bags ^_^ . I hope to see more of your work in the future.

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#8 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

arg white balance!

have you submitted it yet?

the story is great and you showed it really well, but to me it seems too warm and yellow, like its in need of white balancing.

i'm gonna be checking out chapman for photography, and cal state northridge, as well as brooks institute in Santa Barbara and Art Institute in Chicago

#9 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

The only problem is you can see the fishing line used to make D-wayne move for a few seconds in one scene. As a suggestion, use black thread next time. It's thin enough to still be pretty invisible, and there's no risk of it reflecting the light.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#10 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

First off I'd like to say thanks to everyone for the positive response.

Wow, astounding job. I love it. The stop-motion animation was VERY well done. The music really brought the whole thing together as well. Great job composing falcon.

It actually was done as puppertry, as we quickly discovered that stop motion would be highly impractical for this.
But Thanks anyway. Falcon really took to this like a pro, I look forward to our future Film collaborations, from now on, when I make a film, I'm looking to him to be my composer.

arg white balance!

have you submitted it yet?

the story is great and you showed it really well, but to me it seems too warm and yellow, like its in need of white balancing.

i'm gonna be checking out chapman for photography, and cal state northridge, as well as brooks institute in Santa Barbara and Art Institute in Chicago

I Haven't turned it in yet because today was the deadline date for freshman applicants, as one of the rare transfer applicants, I have more time to turn it in.

The lighting was a challenge I didn't expect to have, but the overhead lights in my friend Shelley's kitchen where we shot were out, so her dad brought in this big outdoor lamp, it gave us a lot of light, but it kind of gave that yellow tone, but I kinda like the warm feel anyway. Future Creature related film projects will be shot in a different location, and with a much less hectic time frame, so I'm sure to have better production quality. This was a matter of making due with what I had available at the time. I had my creative team there... so we shot there, the story's what's important anyway. Good luck with your future prospects.

The only problem is you can see the fishing line used to make D-wayne move for a few seconds in one scene. As a suggestion, use black thread next time. It's thin enough to still be pretty invisible, and there's no risk of it reflecting the light.

Yeah, I noticed you can see it in a few scenes, but I had to use what I had available, and the fishing line was the only thing strong enough to hold the blender in the air. in fact, the nylon thread I used on D-wayne was breaking every other shot, so I'm just happy that it worked at all. The main reason there's even refraction on the line at all is because of the lighting situation I already mentioned, originally I was expecting to have light from the ceiling, which would have looked less obvious.

-Bags

#11 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

Good Job, Bags! The music is awesome. I could listen to it all day...
kthxbaisend

#12 Dangaard

Dangaard

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

That was.... Interesting, I cant tell if I liked it.... I wonder what Freud would say?
Discretion is the better part of valor, thats why I carry a very big axe.

You can fool some people all of the time and everyone some of the time, but you cant fool all the people all of the time, but it sure is fun trying.

What have I got in my pocket? (tolkien)

#13 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

What did you use to edit with?

I know you like the yellow, however were I you, i would try playing with some white balance filters and color saturation filters. I bet you could bring out some really cool colors just in premiere without having to import into after effects. If you're after effects savvy you could do some awesome color correction and color area stuff, but since I only know how to do it in theory and not in practice it doesn't help much.

#14 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

in premiere

:o In Premiere? Vegas all the way. :)

Yeah, I'd also recommend checking out some lens filters. The video itself is amazing, but after seeing it a few times the color seems...off.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#15 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

That was pretty good. Nice job.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#16 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:18 AM

The white balance could be easily fixed during shooting.
Just hold up something white (like a piece of paper or jug of milk) and, if your camera has an auto white balance, let it set to your white object. Or if you're lucky (or rich) and you have a white balance adjust button on your camera, adjust it to the white object.

As for the reflection on the fishing line, just a little rotoscoping in After Effects can easily fix that.
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users