Stefan Weights

Which ones are the best?

31 replies to this topic

#1 NeFerZ

NeFerZ

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:38 PM

I have a few questions related to stefans. Im planning to make 2000 stefans for my modded BBB and NF, but I dont know which weights I should use.

Choices I have

1. .20g BBs
2. 3/0 Fishing Weight
3. Copperhead BBs

And my final questions is how heavy are the copperheads?
Thanks in advance to everyone that replys~

~Nerferz

#2 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

I have a few questions related to stefans. Im planning to make 2000 stefans for my modded BBB and NF, but I dont know which weights I should use.

Choices I have

1. .20g BBs
2. 3/0 Fishing Weight
3. Copperhead BBs

And my final questions is how heavy are the copperheads?
Thanks in advance to everyone that replys~

~Nerferz

I personaly prefer the 3/0 Fishing Weights. That's what I use, and I think I saw Angel use it in his video.
kthxbaisend

#3 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

It may all depend on the gun your using, high-powered spring and air guns should use darts with heavier weights than their weaker counterparts.

I'd think your BBB should work well with 3/0 weighted darts.

As for the NF, I'd use two copper bb's for its darts.

Edited by Blasphemy, 04 January 2008 - 02:48 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#4 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

The weight you use in your stefans are all relative to the power of the guns you use. I personally use slingshot weights for my guns because they have the level of power to get good distance with them. If I try to use my darts in a weaker gun they are terrible because the dart is way too heavy. My advice is make a batch of each type of weight and test them out in your guns before you make 2000 of them and realize they suck in your current setup.

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

BB=Light (<60')
Slingshot Ammo=Medium (60-100')
3/0=Heavy (>100')

Of course the range of the guns will depend on what type of weights you use but generally pistols like the NF and medium-long range guns like the 3B will be best off with slingshot ammo, smaller guns like Crossfires, SSPBs and such are fine with single BB weighted darts and very powerful guns like Big Blasts work best with 3/0s (or in some insanely powerful guns 7/0s).
SexD Warves

#6 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

I agree with nerfmonkey, but the overall cheapest and most universal would be the fishing weights. I use them for all my guns.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#7 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

Actually, the slingshot ammo is in fact heavier than 3/0 fishing weights. I'd say it is suitable for really powerful guns such as the Titan or LBB/4B.
Personally, I use the round 3/0 splitshot weights. I got them off the Cabelas website, it was approx. 650 for like $11 or $12.
Link to website
The slingshot ammo was way too heavy. On my old Pump Shotgun, I was losing at least 20' compared to my other darts, which had I think 2 BBs in them (before I had 3/0 fishing weights).
The round 3/0 splitshot weights have been a lot easier to center than the BBs, and so was the slingshot ammo.

#8 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

I don't know what those are made out of but mine are lead; they are definitely heavier than the slingshot ammo. Maybe the ones you bought are something lighter?
SexD Warves

#9 NeFerZ

NeFerZ

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

BB=Light (<60')
Slingshot Ammo=Medium (60-100')
3/0=Heavy (>100')

Of course the range of the guns will depend on what type of weights you use but generally pistols like the NF and medium-long range guns like the 3B will be best off with slingshot ammo, smaller guns like Crossfires, SSPBs and such are fine with single BB weighted darts and very powerful guns like Big Blasts work best with 3/0s (or in some insanely powerful guns 7/0s).

which type of slingshot amo do u recommend?

#10 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Mine are lead too.
It's probably different slingshot ammo.
I just went upstairs and compared the two, and yeah, my slingshot ammo is definitely heavier. I think it's 1/4" slingshot ammo.
I'm trying to get a picture off my phone comparing the two weights, but it's not workin' out so well.
I'll keep trying and put it on here when it works.
Edit: Got it.
Posted Image
The weights on the left are the lead 3/0 split shot weights.
The weights on the right are the 1/4(?) (steel?) slingshot weights.
As you can see, the slingshot weights are bigger, and they are also heavier.

Edited by Retiate, 04 January 2008 - 08:03 PM.

#11 NerfRifleman

NerfRifleman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

i personally use the slingshot ammo.

i dont recommend the split shot weights because in higher powered guns like the Big Blast, and other pneumatic guns, the soft lead gets deformed and then the dart doesn't fly straight. ive never had this problem with the slingshot ammo.

#12 Guest_CornMan_*

Guest_CornMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

I just use 4.5 mm copper bb's. I take the screwdriver that I use to crack open guns to poke a 1/2 long hole in the foam, and then just shove the bb's in. (2). By the way, here's a tip. NEVER just burn the foam with the tip of your hot glue gun to make the hole. It messes up you hot glue gun, and it puts off very toxic fumes. Plus, the bb's are never straight, so your flight is affected.

~Corn

#13 NeFerZ

NeFerZ

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

I just use 4.5 mm copper bb's. I take the screwdriver that I use to crack open guns to poke a 1/2 long hole in the foam, and then just shove the bb's in. (2). By the way, here's a tip. NEVER just burn the foam with the tip of your hot glue gun to make the hole. It messes up you hot glue gun, and it puts off very toxic fumes. Plus, the bb's are never straight, so your flight is affected.

~Corn

Oh, know wonder my glue gun stopped working. The whole entire tipp was like like all sticked with the foam residue :angry: .

#14 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

Oh, know wonder my glue gun stopped working. The whole entire tipp was like like all sticked with the foam residue :angry: .

To fix this problem all you have to do is the following:

1 Plug your hot glue gun in
2 Wait for the glue gun to be hot
3 Take some foil and wipe off the melted foam

It helps to do this after every time you are done making Srefans.

Edited by Dayko, 04 January 2008 - 10:08 PM.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#15 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

OP: Since you plan to make so many; it will be more beneficial to you to test each type of weight with the guns you will be using them in before committing to making such a large number of them, that way don't accidentally make 2000 darts that won't work the best for your guns. In addition to that, I'd suggest buying a small tipped glue gun and using that one exclusively to melt the holes.

Contrary to cornman, I have never died or fallen ill due to the 'very toxic fumes' and neither has the legions of others that do it that way, so you will be safe if you do it that way.

Hopefully you will eventually work out a system that helps you to create clean efficient darts.

Edited by Peter, 04 January 2008 - 10:06 PM.

igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#16 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

Define "Best".

I use #8 steel washers because
1. They're cheap ($0.007 each when purchased at $4.59 for a 1lb box)
2. They're non-toxic (unlike lead)
3. They offer more surface area for glue
4. Being flat you distribute much more of the weight of the dart at the very tip.
5. I can cover them with felt discs, which are also cheap but also offer a uniform aerodynamic profile.
6. They weigh the right amount (0.8 grams) for the performance I want.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 04 January 2008 - 11:00 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#17 NeFerZ

NeFerZ

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

Define "Best".

I use #8 steel washers because
1. They're cheap ($0.007 each when purchased at $4.59 for a 1lb box)
2. They're non-toxic (unlike lead)
3. They offer more surface area for glue
4. Being flat you distribute much more of the weight of the dart at the very tip.
5. I can cover them with felt discs, which are also cheap but also offer a uniform aerodynamic profile.
6. They weigh the right amount (0.8 grams) for the performance I want.

Ooo its sounds very interesting. Well I think im going to try these. Hey Cs do you know where i can find them in large amounts for cheap? Like i need atleast 2000

#18 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:21 PM

mcmaster.com
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#19 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

http://www.mcmaster.com
Search for part# 91083A009
You can get 4 packs of 585 (2,340) for $18.36

Specifics on my Dartsmithing method: http://nerfhaven.com...ic=4646&st=180#
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#20 NeFerZ

NeFerZ

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

http://www.mcmaster.com
Search for part# 91083A009
You can get 4 packs of 585 (2,340) for $18.36

Specifics on my Dartsmithing method: http://nerfhaven.com...ic=4646&st=180#

Thank you very much CS. I really like all of your mods and tutorial, like your external air tanks. Thanks again so much. Im going to order 5 packs right now! And thanks everyone!

#21 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:36 AM

I like glass circuit board lights. They are heavy and colorful.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#22 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:48 AM

For the record I was able to measure the weight to see the difference between 3/0 fishing weights and 1/4" slingshot weights.

3/0 fishing weights weighed in at 0.5 grams. 1/4" Slingshot weights weighed either 0.8 or 1 gram. It was a while ago when I did the test. My problem with the steel is that it does not adhere to the hot glue very well. After hitting a hard target like a coffee can the glue will break off the tip revealing the shiny surface. I got these 1/4" at bass pro shops. The good 3/0 fishing weights were purchased at Wal-mart.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#23 Deseas

Deseas

• Banned
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:08 AM

I used 7/0 round fishing weight for a mega dart and shot through my wood door with my heavily modded Titan. So for Titans and other high-powered air blasters I would reccomend 7/0 fishing weight.

#24 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

I used 7/0 round fishing weight for a mega dart and shot through my wood door with my heavily modded Titan. So for Titans and other high-powered air blasters I would reccomend 7/0 fishing weight.

Either your lieing or you have a better Titan than me, which I doubt(not saying everyone elses titans are bad but I put way too many hours of work into my titan for it not to pay me back). My titan went through drywall from 20ft away and thats with two fishing weights, Any further away and it cant break through so I suggest editing your post and not lie in these forums. But you have the right idea with the weights. I dont think there is a need to post in this topic anymore since NeFerZ has his answer, but I would also suggest getting two or three types since no weight is going to be perfect for all your guns.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#25 Deseas

Deseas

• Banned
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

No, it's true. It's not a solid wood door, it's like 2 "sheets" of wood. But yeah, it's stupid to argue this over an online forum so I will just shut up now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users