NIC and such

55 replies to this topic

#1 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 12:16 AM

I have read everyone's feelings about how us younger nerfers don't know anything about the NIC and the Nerf List and many other "historic" achievements for nerf. I do take pride in that I am follwing in the footsteps of people like Stefan and Spoon and countless others on NO and everything before that.

The problem is, I personally have only been on the scene for about a year and a half. I haven't had the chance to read things from the Nerf List and such. My main reason for posting this is to find out if there is a good source of info on the history of how the community has evolved. I would like to learn more about the community that adoptted me so humbly. Think of it as our yougin' way of paying the hardened vets back, or at least learnin to give respect where respect is due.
I hate you.

#2 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:30 AM

There really is no place where you can research the Nerf Internet Community's history. I and a few others have excerpts from short periods in the early list serve, but aside from that the only real sources of information are the people that were there, and there are not too many of those left.

As far as understanding NIC history, well...why? I mean, it really is not all that important that you understand the history of nerf on the internet, only that you not make claims about what you do not know. Maybe I could scratch something together to give you guys a better idea of the history, but I really don't see the urgency, it wasn't that exciting.

VACC

#3 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 08:13 PM

OMC has a point. I'd feel bad if I came in and said "Did you know that Foam Backer Rod makes great bullets?" I'm not that stupid, but It could happen. A lot of people dont know a lot of the greats and haven't heard of the great sites.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#4 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 08:34 PM

OMC has a point. I'd feel bad if I came in and said "Did you know that Foam Backer Rod makes great bullets?" I'm not that stupid, but It could happen. A lot of people dont know a lot of the greats and haven't heard of the great sites.

Which is why we could use one site, with a compilation of all relevant information regarding Nerf, with a good set of forums. This is why one unified site, not a community of sites, is handy. So far, though, we can't seem to get that going.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#5 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:49 PM

I'm going to tell you right now that this consolidation your harping on is not going to happen, so give it up. Why can't we have a little variety? I mean, if there is any information you need (that is to be had) you can find it pretty easily. All consolidation would do is set a single site into conflict, as opposed to several distinct sites.

Besides, the issue of NIC history has NOTHING to do with the fact that there are several popular nerf web sites. Why? Because the other sites simply don't have anybody that's been around that long, so there is already only one source.

VACC

#6 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 02:46 PM

I was wondering this while falling asleep last night...

Who did the first mod? Its kind of a strange idea for somebody to unscrew a plastic gun to see if it can become stronger. I dont actually care who did the first mod, because I doubt anyone knows, or can claim that they are the one. This question is mainly aimed towards VACC, where did you get the idea to do your first mod? Did you think it up yourself, did someone write it up and you found it on the net?
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#7 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 03:21 PM

Spoon's site was at least one of the first, if not the first, to post mods online. I think the first mod I ever did was to chop the nose off my bow and arrow dramatically increasing its range, and actually, I think that was a "destructer variant" off Nerf Reviewed. Yet that wasn't the first I'd heard of it. Actually, I'm sure I was adding rubber bands before that, but I don't know if that's really considered a mod anymore...it was then.

VACC

#8 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:39 PM

AFAIK my old site was the first to post mods online, it's impossible to know who first actually started DOING mods without posting them.

I think we're all treating Nerf and the supposed "Nerf Internet Community" a LOT more importantly than we probably should.....Seriously all, it's really not that big of a deal. If you find nerf fun great. If not, oh well.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#9 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:06 PM

Excellent way to put it spoon. I just thought it would be right in my mind if I knew who I should respect in this game i have come to enjoy so much. I respect and out right admire the Horsemen, yourself Spoon, and the LCM, as well as the LGLF. They may not all have the same level of nerfing behind them, but at APOC I was honored to be a part of the most amazing time in my life. I swear if anyone could have taken my place I know they would feel the same. Thank you to all nerfers, worldwide.
I hate you.

#10 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 06:27 AM

You should respect everyone. Why just respect the people that did something good? Only disrespect people who have done bad (IE Bin L*den).
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#11 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 04:13 PM

So...uhh....are you done talking for a while Gunneddown?

#12 jon

jon

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 11:49 PM

You should respect everyone. Why just respect the people that did something good? Only disrespect people who have done bad (IE Bin L*den).

i would have to go with gung em down you should resepect everyone you nerf with. even if they are a dick. but if they just go beond that point to where there a problem for everyone then its ok to kick there ass.
Die you super-monkey fuck!

#13 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 12:19 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself
I hate you.

#14 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 01:06 AM

This ain't no hippy boards, fuck off with the universal love shit! Seriously though, I dare you to respect me. I think you'll find it quite impossible.

No? Well, I think Pearl Harbor the movie was more intense and moving than Pearl Harbor the event...... how about now?

VACC

#15 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:16 PM

No Vacc! Dont say things you cant take back!

#16 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:52 PM

Uh, my name is GunnedDown. Gung em down. Good one!
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#17 jon

jon

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:39 PM

This ain't no hippy boards, fuck off with the universal love shit! Seriously though, I dare you to respect me. I think you'll find it quite impossible.

No? Well, I think Pearl Harbor the movie was more intense and moving than Pearl Harbor the event...... how about now?

VACC

dont diss that era same for ther 80's. i think even you would like the idea of getting fucked to some hot chick that you just met.( also i still respect you.)

#18 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:47 PM

dont diss that era same for ther 80's. i think even you would like the idea of getting fucked to some hot chick that you just met.( also i still respect you.)

..........WHAT!?!?!?! I don't have a fucking clue what you just said, and apparantly that's the edited version. Slow down man, I want to know what you're trying to get accross.

VACC

#19 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 09:39 PM

dont diss that era same for ther 80's. i think even you would like the idea of getting fucked to some hot chick that you just met.( also i  still respect you.)

..........WHAT!?!?!?! I don't have a fucking clue what you just said, and apparantly that's the edited version. Slow down man, I want to know what you're trying to get accross.

VACC

I think he's defending "Peace, love, and harmony" with the powerful temptation of venereal diseases.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#20 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 11:10 PM

Posted Image

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#21 jon

jon

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:00 PM

ok i will make my self more clear. i said not to diss the 70's, hippies. because in that erra it was a time of "free love" aka sex, drugs and music. my piont was that vac would like that idea of free sex love and drugs.

#22 DarkCow

DarkCow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:04 PM

Monkeys are good...... oh, and if you enjoyed the 70s, you are one sick ** .

#23 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 01:43 AM

I think I'm the only person on this board who was even alive in the 70's so I'm gonna throw my USD.02 in and continue the hijacking of this thread...

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars.

Kurt Vonnegut - Breakfast of Champions.

Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Star Wars - A New Hope.

Asteroids.

I enjoyed the 70s so I guess I'm a sick ** whatever the fuck that is.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#24 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 02:26 AM

Hell yea for Ziggy Stardust, I've been listening to that album in my car non-stop for like a week.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#25 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 09:56 AM

Hell yea for Ziggy Stardust, I've been listening to that album in my car non-stop for like a week.

Cheers to that sentiment! David Bowie fucking rocks the casbah. Just take a gander over at Labyrinth; for a king of goblins, my man had a rather large package.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users