Nerf Recon Spring Fix

A Somewhat Write-Up

57 replies to this topic

#1 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

Ok, so I got the first ever Recon sold in the Niskayuna, NY Target. They were unpacking the boxes in the nerf aisle and hadn't even gotten to the Recons, but I asked if they had it, and indeed it was in one of the boxes. Anyway, so the last two days I've been looking at it trying to make the somewhat mediocre ranges better. An AR removal (which was very annoying) was the first step. I noticed that the spring is not fully compressed when the gun is cocked, however. This is the fix:
Take your Recon
Posted Image

Get It Apart
Posted Image
(The E-Tape on the bolt is from my AR removal/fiasco)

Take some sort of wire, I used two conductor 24 gauge speaker wire, and wrap it around the plunger tube at the end that is furthest into the gun, the left side in the above photo. 3 times around was perfect for me. Then E-Tape it there nice and securely.
Posted Image

Put it back the way you found it.
Posted Image

To test, put the other side of the gun back on, hold everything together, and make sure it still cocks. If not, trim some wire off. Mine requires a pretty swift pull to get it to cock, but that is because the spring is at full compression.
This did improve range on my Recon, but it is hard to measure because the streamlines are floaty and do not always go their full distance. CDTS didn't work to well for me either, but I might just be an error in making them.

EDIT: BlackFox just informed me that sch. 40 3/4" thin wall PVC also works instead of the wire.

Edited by analogkid, 10 February 2008 - 12:16 AM.

#2 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

Good mod...kind of like the coupler in the bbb thing.
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#3 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

Any range tests yet?
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#4 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

Any range tests yet?

Sorta, like I said, the shots can vary a lot, because of the streamlines, but its about 40 ft across my basement and I can hit the wall from one side to another.

#5 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

Thats pretty good. Now if only I can get my hands on one of these blasters.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#6 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

Any range tests yet?

Sorta, like I said, the shots can vary a lot, because of the streamlines, but its about 40 ft across my basement and I can hit the wall from one side to another.

Well, if that is indeed true, I'll be doing this shortly. I like the idea too. I wonder if it would work on other guns.

#7 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

Any range tests yet?

Well, if that is indeed true, I'll be doing this shortly. I like the idea too. I wonder if it would work on other guns.

I would imagine it would. This is pretty similar in concept to the penny mod, which is what it was inspired by, I wanted an adaptation that would work for the Recon

#8 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:32 AM

I was thinking of how to do this when I finally get one. Good job.

Now all thats left is dealing with the dead space in the plunger.

#9 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

Can someone post a picture of this dead space problem. I may know what you guys are talking about and I think I fixed it but I just want to make sure.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#10 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

Can someone post a picture of this dead space problem. I may know what you guys are talking about and I think I fixed it but I just want to make sure.

Posted Image
I think this is the problem being referred to. The plunger does not use up all of the tube. If you've got it fixed, let us know, I've been trying to think of a way to do this but haven't got any ideas yet.

EDIT: The dark band in the middle of the M is the plunger in case it is hard to see.
EDIT AGAIN: That is not dead space between the M and the end of the tube, so that must not be what you're talking about.

Edited by analogkid, 04 January 2008 - 07:37 PM.

#11 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Ok well I didnt fix the dead space but I found a way to use it, I took an old maverick spring and glued it where the screw peice would have been. It is like the mod(forgot who did it) with the long spring and PVC peice, only way easier to do.

EDIT: I dont think it would be smart to extend the plunger since it wouldnt be using all of it anyway, correct me if Im wrong.

Edited by rokor, 04 January 2008 - 07:29 PM.

Talio in Shoutbox.

#12 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

Analogkid, mind posting another picture or two of the recon fix, or a more detailed explanation? Not having a recon, I only kinda understand the dead space issue, but I have no clue what those pictures are supposed to represent. I'm not angry, just interested if this makes the gun a buy for me or not. Moddability = buyability in my book.

TS

#13 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

Analogkid, mind posting another picture or two of the recon fix, or a more detailed explanation? Not having a recon, I only kinda understand the dead space issue, but I have no clue what those pictures are supposed to represent. I'm not angry, just interested if this makes the gun a buy for me or not. Moddability = buyability in my book.

TS

I only kinda understand the dead space issue too, I believe that it is because there is a large volume of air that is not pressurized efficiently when the gun fires, though where exactly, I'm not totally sure. The Recon has a backwards plunger mechanism, similar in design to the maverick.
Posted Image
The spring fix works by moving the position that the spring back, allowing it to compress more, because stock the spring is not fully compressed when the gun is cocked. Lemme know if you still are confused...

Also, I can tell you straight up, this gun is not easily modded. As you can see in the first post, I broke the bolt trying to remove the AR, and other than that an this mod, I don't think there is too much more potential. If you want a clip fed pistol with average range, here you go. If you want a 100ft cardboard penetrating uber-primary, look elsewhere. BTW, a friend of mine got a stock Recon, mine gets about twice the stock range and then a little

#14 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

I already have a plan for getting rid of the dead space. I just haven't gotten around to buying a Recon because I don't feel like chasing one down.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 04 January 2008 - 11:16 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#15 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:30 PM

CS- PM me if you want me to get you one.

Everyone else- The last inch of the plunger is just a little spacer held by a spring anyways. I'm adding a coupler to act as a spring compresser soon. Its not really dead space anyways because air doesn't go through that area.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#16 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

For everyone who is turned off by this gun... it isnt too hard to get a high velocity 80 ft out of this thing. And a easy way to remove the AR is put it above your stove and pull it apart where the two sides of the bolt atach. I made a pretty easy CPVC breech in about three hours including planning and unsrewing with my uber small screwdriver, and not using my left index finger.. If you have a chance to buy one, then I would go for it, because in my mind this gun has a lot of potential.
Talio in Shoutbox.

#17 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

I made a pretty easy CPVC breech in about three hours including planning and unsrewing with my uber small screwdriver, and not using my left index finger..

When do you intend to post a write up?

#18 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:15 AM

Well at first I felt betrayed by the Haven because a member(one of my friends, not giving out name) stole a couple of my mods and took all the glory for himself but now I realize it was his fault not the Havens. So now Whenevre I think I come up with a new mod I will try to get it up as soon as possible. So for this mod I might be able to have it up by tonight or tommorow. But I have been known to procrastinate.

Edited by rokor, 05 January 2008 - 11:16 AM.

Talio in Shoutbox.

#19 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:30 PM

If you care about being the first or getting "all the glory" for anything in particular then I feel sorry for you. In my opinion one of those motives should be the basis for your participation.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#20 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

Its not that I want the glory but it got me pissed off that a friend didnt do any work for him self and everyone thinks its him that is the brainny one. But its not that Im fighting for modding glory or anything.
Talio in Shoutbox.

#21 MrDelish

MrDelish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

As for the "dead space," most of that one inch is filled by the plastic thing that's screwed into the back of the plunger tube (thing that says ARMED). If you take that screw off, you'll notice that there's another plastic layer inside it, so the dead space is mostly filled.

Since I already cut apart my bolt, I decided to try and extend the plunger 'tube' by cutting up the thing inside the dead space and extending the tube by making a PVC joint to make it extend all the way back. What I didn't realize is that the filled dead space is just a wee bit bigger than the rest of the ARMED tube, so I'll have to dremel it awhile till it gets perfect so the plunger can fit in.

#22 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

I dont think that extending the plunger would be a good idea, it would be creating REAL dead space instead of what you now have is just something that apears as dead space. It will either ruin the gun completly or take a huge hit on range, velocity and all other aspects of performance.
Talio in Shoutbox.

#23 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hey, I'm curious to see the breech, I wanted to do something like that but I haven't because I don't feel like riding my bike in the freezing cold to the hardware store cuz I'm out of CPVC. Maybe your mod will motivate me. And yeah, leaving the plunger alone is probably a good idea.

Edited by analogkid, 05 January 2008 - 03:34 PM.

#24 MrDelish

MrDelish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

Hey, I'm curious to see the breech, I wanted to do something like that but I haven't because I don't feel like riding my bike in the freezing cold to the hardware store cuz I'm out of CPVC. Maybe your mod will motivate me. And yeah, leaving the plunger alone is probably a good idea.

Too late. I've already gutted out the back end of that tube, so I'll have to stick with it. Like I said, I didn't realize the size difference beforehand, so now I have to deal with it anyway.

#25 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

Now I feel like Im highjacking this thread. I will open up a new thread with pictures soon but the actual write-up will be up tommorow... I hope.
Talio in Shoutbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users