Longshot Illuminated Scope / Sight

Making a Red Dot Sight?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Nerf Assaulter

Nerf Assaulter

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

Alright Nerfers, I finally thought I would have a go at opening up the longshot scope. I found it to be remarkably easy!

All I had to do was twist the smaller yellow cap off with my bare hands. Much, much cleaner then cutting it off.
For the larger cap, I found that it had to come straight off (without twisting) as it runs along a sort of rail. All I needed to do here was wiggle it off side-to-side and it came off almost as easily as the smaller cap.

After unscrewing the scope, I pondered for at least an hour of what I could do to it. A laser or torch (flashlight) would fit inside nicely but then I would lose the point of looking through the sight as you couldn't see through it.
I also thought of putting a real sight inside but that over does my budget. I wanted to construct a red dot sight out of materials from home.

I would like to know if it is possible to illuminate the crosshair with LEDs somehow without light escaping the scope itself. I found this to try and spark ideas ... http://forums.astron...opic.php?t=3517

#2 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:54 AM

The amount of glue holding the endcaps on varies between different parts. You're just one of the lucky few without much glue.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#3 M30

M30

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:04 AM

I looked into a similar idea and recently completed it.

Also: I'm incredibly envious of you, as I had a really hard time opening the scope.

Your take on this from the astronomy page is really interesting. I did a quick search for these types of things... it seems you just point a red LED in at the correct angle, and it works. The following site is a list of similar things; your idea included.

This one actually has instructions to build it.

You still have to get past the fact that the scope is virtually useless, however... even if you can see it at night.
And if it's so dark that you can't see the crosshairs, how do you expect to spot your target?
"Whatever happens, happens."
-Spike Spiegel

"Trendy, hip OMC Quote"
-OMC

#4 Nerf Assaulter

Nerf Assaulter

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

I did think I must have been lucky with the amount of glue :blush:

Those links were a great help M30. I do see your point about the enemies being in the dark, but I am only doing this for the sake of doing it.
Your design that you posted a few days back didn't appear to let the user see through the sight very easily. Plus the enemy would be able to see the laser pointer coming at them from around a corner.

I'm going to try the red dot sight from the above instructions (posted by M30) without any magnification or anything too special. I'll do a write up when I'm done. I'll try and do an internal circuit that connects to the main gun (with a switch) when ever you put on the scope.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users