Dremel Bits

What bit to use

8 replies to this topic

#1 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

I got a dremel for Christmas and I don't know what bit to use for cutting. If you could show me a picture that would be great.

I mostly want to cut PVC, plastics (NERF guns), and brass.

Oh, yeah and something that WON'T explode in my face and make me permanently blind.

As always, Thanks in advance

Edit: I have a fiber glass reinforced cutting wheel, but how the hell do you attach it? There's no pole that can connect it to the dremel's collet.

Edited by xNFx 37, 30 December 2007 - 05:10 PM.

it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#2 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

You will want to use the reinforced dremel cutting wheel:

Posted Image

You need a mandrel to attach it:

Posted Image

Also I find it easier to use a miter box and saw to cut PVC.

Edited by Foam_Shooter, 30 December 2007 - 05:21 PM.

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

I prefer this cutting bit:

Posted Image

A stock Dremel won't come with one, but they're definitely worth the $5 or so they cost. A bit like that greatly reduces the binding and melting problem that discs have, and eliminates the problem of breakage (reinforced ones don't break nearly as often, but they can still break.)
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

I prefer this cutting bit:

Posted Image

A stock Dremel won't come with one, but they're definitely worth the $5 or so they cost. A bit like that greatly reduces the binding and melting problem that discs have, and eliminates the problem of breakage (reinforced ones don't break nearly as often, but they can still break.)

Yes, I went to Lowes looking for one of those but they had none. But I remember reading in a topic that you said that was for plastics?

If not correct me
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#5 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:34 PM

To cut most plastics I use the cutting wheels seen above. To cut PVC and other tubes I usually use pipe cutters, the ones with a wheel and handle for tightening.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:04 PM

Yes, I went to Lowes looking for one of those but they had none. But I remember reading in a topic that you said that was for plastics?

If not correct me

You're right... I neglected to say it was specifically for plastics, and I missed the part in your post where you said you'd be cutting brass. In that case, the reinforced cutting wheel is your best bet. Just treat it kindly and wear eye protection
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

You can also use diamond-rimmed disks, lots of 5 for sale on eBay for $12 shipped. If you hold the dremel steady and cut straight and smooth, it's like cutting butter.
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#8 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

I use one of these.

Posted Image
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#9 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:09 AM

I second bobafan. Carbon's bit is nice, but I like the diameter of the diamond-reinforced wheel. Also, I only use it for cutting odd shapes (ie patterns into PVC or brass). If I'm just cutting straight through PVC or brass, I use a hacksaw or pipe cutter, respectively.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users