Photo

Is Nh Losing It?

29 replies to this topic

#1 The Metal Bullet

The Metal Bullet

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

NH Has been in existence for over 5 years. As a growing and very popular and frequently browsed through forum, there are some members that contribute and others that seem to just be here to post "Nice Mod" and other spam. Must I remind that posting "kThx" in a post as a single word will usually make you look illiterate. These types of members may be bringing the Haven down in overall quality.

Now I am not addressing everyone here or even a large portion of this community. But over the last year or so the overall posting quality has been going down.

As admins have seen Topics such as "Cannabis" are, in my opinion, things that should be kept to yourself... In a quick comparison I will show you a seasoned veteran of Nerf in one of his posts and then I will show you one of a member that I have never seen post a contributive mod/idea.

This thread Is a post of captain Slug. His Modification to the Crossbow which is home made and exceeds range of a crossbow. Genius. We need more of him and less of members like puggy. If you would, please look through off topic and find the thread Cannabis. It should be on the first page. This thread has a poll and asks which members of the Haven participate in the smoking of weed.

Do you see a difference? Because I sure do. Now I will do another comparison for those of you that may not seem to get the point. Here is a topic of Reckoning V of 2008. This post is from the Member Evil who has been around since '02. Very well layed out and planned, very organized and easy to read. AND it includes directions to the war.

Now, lets look at the counter-part of the new member. The Perfect example of a horrible put together thread. First of all, he posts this in Nerf Wars asking a question if any members from Toronto have ever been bothered by the cops for nerfing.

I have summed it up the best I could. Now let's take into consideration what I posted above and use that from now on. Proper spelling punctuation and capitalization lead a very long way which leads you down the path to being a good member.

For the final addressment of this topic, The Title of the thread. I honestly do see an overall quality level lowering as new members come in. Most of it is either grammatically incorrect junk or spam. What's up with this? I see members addressing it and telling the people to adjust their posting style and I still see the same people screwing up. I do not know how many more 9999 day specials the admins of NH have to hand out until the point gets across.

Enjoy the Read and please post constructively in here.
Help With donating for the Wildfire's that are spreading... Join me and thousands of others at...CA Wildfire Red Cross

EARN EASY MONEY... 100's a month.

#2 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:13 AM

This man has a point I've seen a lot of it myself(me being a culprit a few times). Needless too say the admins have been doing they're job. Nerfhaven, I believe still is the most professional nerf community on the net.
If you think our posts are starting too suck, Go check out NerfHQ. The admins still continue too keep us inlnie and hopefully it will remain that way and if it does than Nerfhaven will be ok.

P.S What was wrong with my post?
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#3 The Metal Bullet

The Metal Bullet

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:17 AM

This man has a point I've seen a lot of it myself(me being a culprit a few times). Needless too say the admins have been doing they're job. Nerfhaven, I believe still is the most professional nerf community on the net.
If you think our posts are starting too suck, Go check out NerfHQ. The admins still continue too keep us inlnie and hopefully it will remain that way and if it does than Nerfhaven will be ok.

P.S What was wrong with my post?

NerfHQ's posts are 1000 times worse. And I am not complaining about it I'm just saying if you look statistically at the posts from this year to last year I bet you will see a decline in quality. But an increase in quantity.
Help With donating for the Wildfire's that are spreading... Join me and thousands of others at...CA Wildfire Red Cross

#4 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:23 AM

This thread is defiantly, defiantly doomed to hell.....

Edited by DarkInfection, 28 December 2007 - 12:38 AM.

#5 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

All of NH's problems would be solved if we brought back the blue layout. Instantly.

The absolutely insane amount of members joining ion the last year or so is responsible for a large part of it. It just seems that nh has gone down so much since the "good ol days" where people contributed, and actually discussed topics(note semi-auto 2k thread). Seems like all of the "good" members have gone and none have come to replace them. I do my best to contribute to NH. I mean I used to live for posting a new mod and waiting for people responses. Reason why I haven't posted my mods here anymore is that it feels like there's no point.

In all seriousness, I need to nerf. Bad. Someone please come to Iowa.

No more NH is a hellhole threads though. Either go nerf or contribute to the other forums(not off topic plz).

Edited by Renegade, 28 December 2007 - 12:28 AM.

#6 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

edit

Edited by n-strike, 28 December 2007 - 01:18 AM.

kthxbaisend

#7 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

Yes there has been an overall drop in post quality, but it has been made by newer members (more so than the older ones), yes people are being stupid here and the cannabis thread was WAY out of line (is that smoke I smell, oh wait its a suspension). But when you look and compare the older members to new less experienced "1337" speakers then yes you will see an overall drop in quality. But also notice that most members (6,000+) have only been validated for less than 1 year or 6 months, on average 6 months. Sure some older members slip up, and newer members are sometimes (not always) better than said members. What you say is true, but making a blanket statement over all new, newer, or mediocre members... is wrong. Its only a select few that actually break the rules, or speak "1337" but is that enough for you to try and persecute the newer members.
As I see it, yes this topic will go down hill fast and we will see the newer members opinions and how they react to this.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#8 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:39 AM

NH Has been in existence for over 5 years. As a growing and very popular and frequently browsed through forum, there are some members that contribute and others that seem to just be here to post "Nice Mod" and other spam. These types of members may be bringing the Haven down in overall quality.

Oh so now I'm bringing Nerfhaven down. What the hell man I'm member number 165, and this is the respect I get? I may not post any modifications, but no one ever seems to remember how good I am at actually fucking nerfing! Fuck you! I show up at every east coast war, but no one ever sees me as a seasoned nerfer. I've been on this forum since 2003 but no one ever recognizes that. I have created the ultimate nerf related website, but no one seems to give a shit about that. I am sick and tired of it!

Metal Bullet go to hell!
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#9 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:57 AM

Do you really think that a thread that does nothing but single people out and say how stupid the newbies are will change the largest Nerf website to date? When stupid threads/posts are made, the admins do a very good job of verbally smacking them into oblivion. Stupid threads and posts on the NIC have been in existence longer than this website has, and they certainly aren't going anywhere.

Edited by penguin807, 28 December 2007 - 12:58 AM.

#10 The Metal Bullet

The Metal Bullet

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:10 AM

Do you really think that a thread that does nothing but single people out and say how stupid the newbies are will change the largest Nerf website to date? When stupid threads/posts are made, the admins do a very good job of verbally smacking them into oblivion. Stupid threads and posts on the NIC have been in existence longer than this website has, and they certainly aren't going anywhere.

Not singleing them out just giving examples.

#11 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:13 AM

Hey, buddy. You really think any noob is going to be inspired by you and change? I don't think so.

P.S. Crap. I'm scared. Groove is viewing this thread.

Edited by n-strike, 28 December 2007 - 01:14 AM.

kthxbaisend

#12 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:16 AM

I apologize to everyone. I am probably the main person who makes the most unproductive posts. Once again, I apologize to everyone.

Hey, buddy. You really think any noob is going to be inspired by you and change? I don't think so.

That is possibly the most hypocritical thing I've ever seen on these forums.
SexD Warves

#13 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:17 AM

I apologize to everyone. I am probably the main person who makes the most unproductive posts. Once again, I apologize to everyone.

That is possibly the most hypocritical thing I've ever seen on these forums.

I know, haha. I meant to edit the first post.
kthxbaisend

#14 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:19 AM

Mood swings? You must be on your period...

#15 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:25 AM

Mood swings? You must be on your period...

You're a dick, you haven't even read my previous post.
kthxbaisend

#16 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:34 AM

Aww... someone on the interweb called me a mean name! Now I gotta cry in a corner and cut myself all night long. :(

Don't go assuming things, I read your post. I was joking.

If you have something else to say, kindly do it over a PM. This topic is retarded enough as it is.

#17 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:44 AM

Hey, I'm gunna throw this in, but DARK SHRIMP IS MY HERO! I am just waiting for my "I less than three Dark Shrimp" T-Shirt to come in. But seriously, everyone looks up to someone. I'm pretty sure we all know that the overall quality is going down, but, this is much better than HQ, and HQ is down anyway. I <3 Dark Shrimp.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#18 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

Trust me, you are most definately going too piss off all the wrong people at the rate your going. OMG!111 BTW ... I<300 Darkshrimp
Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#19 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:01 AM

Aww... someone on the interweb called me a mean name! Now I gotta cry in a corner and cut myself all night long. :(

Don't go assuming things, I read your post. I was joking.

If you have something else to say, kindly do it over a PM. This topic is retarded enough as it is.

I'm sorry, I've been having bad days recently. Maybe because I haven't Nerfed for a year. But on the other hand, I did mod 2 guns thepast 2 days. But yea, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm sorry.
kthxbaisend

#20 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:03 AM

Well it is winter and most people tend to modify their guns in the spring and summer.
Even still, just today I noticed there were two new write ups for the Recon which are now found in the directory.

As far as "Nice job" comments are concerned I personally appreciate them in my write ups. I would prefer if people went into more detail on their thoughts about the write up/gun/video but in all honesty the more feedback I get the more likely I am to make another creation. When you put 3 months of work into anything you are going to want to absorb as much compliments and goodness as you can.

I am sorry to hear Renegade stopped modifying because he didn't see the point in doing them and he was really good at it to.

Then again a while back, I sent Renegade some free red foam for him to post his reviews on the stuff and he never did. There goes a couple bucks... Douchebag.

Now, lets look at the counter-part of the new member. The Perfect example of a horrible put together thread. First of all, he posts this in Nerf Wars asking a question if any members from Toronto have ever been bothered by the cops for nerfing.

Alright well here is where I step in for the little guy. He posted it under Nerf wars which is the appropriate Forum because Nerf wars relates to all things. Nerf Assassin, Humans vs Zombies and you guessed it Nerf wars. Unless that changes which I still highly recommend.

There is a problem with shootings and stabbings in Toronto. He is just concerned for his own safety so a cop doesn't shoot or scare the crap out of him. Few friends of mine were filming a scene for their movie on this back road. The scene was a shoot out with toy guns, Camera men were hidden. Many cops arrived on the scene in haste doors whipped open and guns drawn. They almost shit their pants. If they were shot dead they would have shit their pants anyway.

As far as dark shrimp goes: He shot a 6 year old in the ass. He heard the 6 year old let out a little yelp and then jumped once for joy and yelled "Yeah!". One of the strangest yet amazing things I have ever seen.

Oh and one last final thing.
If anyone here thinks NH is going to shit. FUCKING DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
If you want to see more threads involving the stuff you like, how about demonstrating what you want to see. Lead by example
Thats what I do. I love reading original modification write ups.
I also create my own original modification write ups and hope others follow in my wake.
I love seeing Nerf Videos.
I create good videos for my Nerf Modifications and Nerf Wars and Assassin games.

So instead of starting a topic telling people
"C'mon guys get your shit together"

How about we help make NH a more exciting place by actions and not complaints.

PS: Its kind of like a child at the dinner table holding a knife and fork and banging them on the table yelling Food! Food! Food! But doing nothing to make it. If we all contribute a little here and there we can feast upon this hobby and savor every new morsel of knowledge and advancement.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 28 December 2007 - 02:15 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#21 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:15 AM

NH Has been in existence for over 5 years.

tl;dr version of the rest of the post: BAAAAAAAAWWW

You haven't been around here very long. And frankly neither have I (barely 2 years).
The changes over the past year have been due to the influx of new members, very few of which read the rules of conduct or have any consideration for general etiquette (read: basic maturity). This influx of members is thanks to the fact that we now have a much more active administrative staff to police the incoming members, as well as the existing ones.

And the primary problem I see is that you're comparing me to people that just got here. I will personally admit that I am from a completely different planet compared to most of the other people here. My life experience and skill set are in no way representative of the rest of forum. I don't bother comparing myself to other people, nor should other people be measured against me.

There are a great number of people "here" that say next to nothing, but accomplish a hell of a lot more than those who complain that nothing is happening, post for the sake of posting, or contribute to the forum but do not or cannot attend wars for various reasons.

This forum (and the few other forums) are only half of the hobby. The rest of the hobby is out at the wars themselves, and with the people who attend those wars. And guess what, you'd be surprised how many "useless forum members" also attend wars and usually add to the experience of that half of the hobby.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 28 December 2007 - 02:18 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#22 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:27 AM

Is NH losing it? I don't think so.

Maybe I wasn't around during its "glory days", but I've been wanting to join this site for years. NH is great because it is made up of thousands-yes, thousands-of people who are alike and enjoy Nerfing. Metal Bullet, have you posted anything useful? No. Have I? Not really. But I'm still part of something big. If people post questions, I'll answer them. I'll ask questions myself. Almost anything anyone can do here, other than flaming, trolling, or posting topics like this, advances NH, and thus, the hobbie of nerf itself.

I haven't posted a modification. That doesn't mean I won't, someday. Every new member is a virtue.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#23 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:07 AM

I really tried as hard as I could to stay away from this topic but after Ubermensch's post I need to say something.

NerfHaven isn't a forums for just posting modifications. Yes that is one of the main parts of it but there is so much more. Here you can post information just for posting it for the general nerfing population to have, and you can ask questions about ANYTHING involving Nerf because maybe the people with you nerf with don't have the answers that you need. NerfHaven is also a place (at least in my book) where people can come together who all enjoy the same hobby and just connect. I know I have and I'm sure plenty of you have. You come to this site frequently and you start talking to some people in particular. Whether it be PM's, AIM, E-Mail, Texting etc. It happens. If I would have never came to this website I would have never met Keef. Who I happened to have bumped into OUTSIDE OF NERF. Also I'm pretty sure that when all of you post in a "What's your best nerf moment" thread or a "What is your favorite gun and why" thread you get that sort of giddy feeling because you remember what it was like to get that kill or avoid that dart. Or how it feels to fire that favorite gun or to hold that gun in the most clutch moments. Thats what the hobby is all about. HAVING FUN. That's the main reason I joined this website. I didn't join a while ago because I wanted to be able to leave welts with my gun. I wanted to make my guns perform a little better so I would HAVE MORE FUN with my friends.

Well that was my rant, I'm going back to bed.

~McFlurry

Edited by Pvt.McFlurry, 28 December 2007 - 10:08 AM.

QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#24 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:25 AM

I know I probably shouldn't post here, but yes, due to new members such as myself and many others NH is filling up with malicious nonsense.

That being said, me and keef compiled THIS GUIDE

It is very thorough and clean, and is constantly being updated. I wish we could sticky it, or get it on the Wiki. That would help a lot I'm sure. Or, whenever a member registers, we could send them the guide.
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#25 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

I fail to see the point of this thread. I'm getting rather sick of people that feel the need to psychoanalyze the on-goings of an internet message board, or feel the need to make a topic such as this outlining the social dynamics of something they don't fully understand.

The comparisons you're attempting to make are a moot point. They also show that, as many others have pointed out, you haven't been here very long and lack the experience to substantiate your claims. I think this is the third or fourth topic in the past 2 months that outline (in horrendous detail) why the 'Haven is "going to shit." I'm going to make some final points here, reiterate what others have said, then wash my hands and be done with this.

Nerf is what you make of it. Always has been, always will be. To me, it's about having fun and attending wars. To others, it's all about the modifications. These boards help us spread information about both. The well-being of the boards shouldn't be dictated by the posting structure comparisons of a handful of people, especially when you compare the actions of a Vet. or Founder like myself to that of a relatively new person. Answering questions and giving people a pat on the back for developing and sharing a thorough modification are perfectly acceptable, I really don't see where the problem is. Kindness and common sense go a long way.

As FA24 said, instead of complaining about stuff that's more or less irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, why don't you take some of your own advice and lead by example. How do you think Contributors got to where they are today? Why do you think I travel and attend almost every war within reach on the East Coast? Be the change you want to see.

-Groove

P.S. ~ Thanks for the chuckle, n-strike. "Oh noes! Groove is viewing this thread! Run!"

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users