Photo

Whats So Good About The Crossbow?

22 replies to this topic

#1 nerfnerd88

nerfnerd88

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

I mean realy. Everyone wants a Crossbow and is trying to trade or buy one. I dont realy see the point. Yes it was a great weapon when it came out. Probaly the best out there. But now there are beter guns and cheeper. Just think about it, a Big Salvo will out shoot it and you get 4 shots out semi auto. The Longshot gets nearly the same if not the same distance with six shot clips, shot after shot. The Big Bad Bow falls into the same catagory of near if not same. And last for size comparison, the Nite Finder comes only about 15ft short of the Crossbow and its a tiny pistol. I dont see why everyone wants one.

#2 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

The Big Bad Bow falls into the same catagory of near if not same. And last for size comparison, the Nite Finder comes only about 15ft short of the Crossbow and its a tiny pistol.

My 3B never reached more than about 75' flat, and an average NF will only hit 60-65'. Crossbows hit about 90-100'. But range isn't everything. Crossbows are really accurate and comfortable to hold, and they're reliable and easy to fix if something does go wrong. That still doesn't justify spending $70+ in my mind considering you could get six Big Blasts for that much with tax (that's the most amazing gun I've ever used), but it's all personal preference.
SexD Warves

#3 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

a Big Salvo will out shoot it and you get 4 shots out semi auto.

Big Salvos are air guns and therefor prone to leaking and a host of other problems. And it must have the must uncomfortable shell of all time.

The Longshot gets nearly the same if not the same distance with six shot clips, shot after shot.

I've never seen a longshot that is reliable approach crossbow range. In fact, most Longshots that I've seen break during a war. Should something go wrong with a crossbow, it only takes a few minutes to get a quick fix done. The reason for that--simplicity.

The Big Bad Bow falls into the same catagory of near if not same.

Big Bad Bows certainly can match or surpass a crossbow in terms of range. The shell is comfortable, but there is one major problem, after a decent amount of usage, they tend to split...When you cock your first Big Bad Bow in two pieces, you'll understand. The cocking mechanism of the BBB is just too fragile.

And last for size comparison, the Nite Finder comes only about 15ft short of the Crossbow and its a tiny pistol. I dont see why everyone wants one.

But the effective range of a Nite Finder is not 60', it is closer to 30 or 45. And a crossbow can hit consistently at 75'. Though the Nite Finder is a great gun, and that is why the Lock 'N Load is no longer so highly sought after.
Tyranny Response Team

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

You'll understand why they're popular when you attend more wars.
The Maxshot is very popular too. But it's just not as comfortable and some say it's not as durable.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 25 December 2007 - 04:04 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 southpaw

southpaw

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

Good range, room for integration, nice look, nice feel (besides stupid trigger), old-school stylin'.
Sup?

#6 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

nice feel (besides stupid trigger),

And even that can be fixed. You could do Rawray7's hair trigger mod, or put a piece of metal in the center of the trigger like OMC has.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#7 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

I agree with CS, the maxshot is very nice but for some reason it gets TTG ranges with taggers, but it is amazing with stefens.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#8 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

It's so damn comfortable, and that comfort translates into easy to aim, and therefore it's accuracy comes into play. It's simply unmatched as far as reliability and consistency go. I know that every time I raise my crossbow, it's going to shoot where I want it. You don't get that with a Longshot.

I used to think the crossbow was overrated and mostly a status symbol. The more wars I use it in, the more I change my mind.

There's just nothing like it.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#9 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

I believe the reason why everyone believes that the x-bow is so superior has been discussed. The simple fact is, in the range and accuracy department it is not. There are some guns that easily beat it in performance, but that's not what makes the crossbow so legendary. People fall in love with x-bows for many reasons: ergonomics, nostalgic value, rarity, etc.

Edited by Blasphemy, 26 December 2007 - 01:14 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#10 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

The xbow is a nerf relic. They are rare. They are accurate. They have the best grip(iv'e heard).
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#11 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:14 PM

The crossbow was always too small for comfort in my opinion, but other than that, I can see why its such a highly regarded gun. Accuracy, rance, and simplicity are all nice to have in that one gun. But even with all that, I still favor my Longshot (shotgun grip and angels mod) for the 6, leave-a-welt-that-pisses-off-your-friends shots that come with it.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#12 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

I keep seeing "the crossbow lacks ROF" Screw That. Does anyone remember Ompa's clip? And the crossbow is amazing because the barrel is automatically raised, no having to lean back. It feels good, looks good, and is just all around BETTER THAN WHAT YOU USE (unless you use a crossbow). So stop bitching and deal with it, the CROSSBOW IS AWSOME. And I can talk, because I have two.

Crossbows, not nuts.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#13 Guest_CornMan_*

Guest_CornMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

I bet this perspective is all going to change oce CS releases his +bows. It'll be like, "so what? Who needs a crossbow? I got a +bow!". The only reason the xbow is still going to be so popular is because it is rare, getting increasingly rare, so it is just a collectors item. <_<

#14 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

I can't believe someone's actually questioning the validity in owning/using a Crossbow. I mean, really? Who the hell are you, again? Just a collector's item? A status symbol? Easily outperformed? Surely you jest. My thoughts on this subject have already been explained here.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to tuck my Crossbow in to bed and sing it a lullaby.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#15 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

I bet this perspective is all going to change oce CS releases his +bows. It'll be like, "so what? Who needs a crossbow? I got a +bow!". The only reason the xbow is still going to be so popular is because it is rare, getting increasingly rare, so it is just a collectors item. -_-

Before I make my point lemme say that CS has done what we all have wanted to do for a while, and I plan on getting one of these things as soon as he can spare one. However, how many large scale nerf wars have you been to where you are allowed to use homemade weapons? I haven't seen too many and I've been to a few wars in my time. The crossbow is easy to modify, maintain, and repair, and it's 100% nerf. It's not the best performer, but it's the most reliable.

#16 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

I agree with CS, the maxshot is very nice but for some reason it gets TTG ranges with taggers, but it is amazing with stefens.

You're using the wrong barrel type then.

With a 1/2" PVC barrel, couplered, about 9-10", my maxshot fires taggers much farther than a bbb with 1/2" cpvc, and more accurately. The correct barrel setup is one of the most important things people overlook in nerf, along with reload time.

About the crossbow topic, obviously you have to use one. I pick my guns based on personal preference, and it feels good. Hell, I'm sure most of us can make a gun fire just as far, but its all about comfort and how well you can use your weapon in a tight situation. If you have to kneel down, steady your aim and fire, would you rather have a nf without a stock and second hand hold point, or a crossbow with a comfortable stock, grip in the front, and some type of "ironsights"?

#17 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

I've never seen a longshot that is reliable approach crossbow range.

Mine does. :)
Although, I have to breach load, so it's still a single shot.

As for the crossbow, other than comfort, accuracy, and reliability, it's simply a legend. You can't get any clearer. Part of it's status is that it was the first primary with a trigger. Part of it is that so many nerfing legends have them, and use them regularly.

You see it all the time at my middle school. One of the populars does something, and everyone else wants to, to try and be more popular. We see all of the popular, veteran nerfers wielding X-bows, and we want one too.
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#18 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

I will refrain from echoing what my fellow admins have already said. The only point I'd like to make is to reiterate that the player makes the gun, not the other way around.

Case in point, I've been taken out in wars by pretty much every blaster you can think of, including a pocket blaster (thanks Groove) (but NEVER a sword, despite the LIES Cranky tries to spin). I have also taken out a fair share of players with single shot pistols. It's really about making the best of what you have.
I hate you.

#19 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:55 PM

Most of the people using crossbows today have been using them (often the same one) since Crossbows were available at any Toys-R-Us. That kind of intimate knowledge of a blaster is part of what makes it so effective. They know exactly where the dart will go every time because they have hundreds of hours of practice/experience with their particular blaster.

I think that's at least part of why a lot of people use them.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#20 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

The only point I'd like to make is to reiterate that the player makes the gun... It's really about making the best of what you have.

That seems to be the case with some people, but I have noticed that other nerfers can't do shit without a decent primary. For example take the nerf god Evil Angel. When his maxshots shoot well he is top draw. When his maxshots suck (which seems toh appen a lot) he sucks.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#21 KeiichiRX7

KeiichiRX7

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:07 AM

The only point I'd like to make is to reiterate that the player makes the gun... It's really about making the best of what you have.

That seems to be the case with some people, but I have noticed that other nerfers can't do shit without a decent primary. For example take the nerf god Evil Angel. When his maxshots shoot well he is top draw. When his maxshots suck (which seems toh appen a lot) he sucks.

Its like motorsports. Having the fastest car won't win the race for you, but not having a competitive car will sure as hell lose it for you
Capt Slug thinks this thread is idiotic. Why did any of you seriously reply to this?

Why so serious?

#22 NerfPancakes

NerfPancakes

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

I agree about the crossbow being overrated. It's called a titan. Cheaper and gets better range. All I did was saw off the normal barrel and replaced it with a cpvc barrel and it got 100+ feet range. But instead of buying titans, big bad bows, or longshots which are cheaper and overall probably better, maybe some not range wise though, everyone buys the expensive crossbows. Although I guess I really shouldn't go on about this too much because soon people will start accusing me of calling crossbows bad weapons. They are fantastic blasters! Just not worth the money if you ask me. Also I shouldn't know too much about this since my loser phase in wars lasted all of 2 wars with my titan. NO THEY WEREN'T BIG WARS SO DON'T ASK ME! Just some friendly neighborhood wars. Now I'm the run and gun type with my Raider hitting 80 feet.

WELL IF YOU READ THAT WHOLE THING SORRY FOR GOING SO OFF TOPIC. I'M SICK TODAY AND BORED TO DEATH!
the only problem is, the scope is filled with roach bodies and roach crap.

#23 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

Its like motorsports. Having the fastest car won't win the race for you, but not having a competitive car will sure as hell lose it for you

You get 3 months off for neglecting to check the date of the post you replied to.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users