What Got You Started Nerfing?

47 replies to this topic

#26 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

I had a bunch of Nerf guns when I was younger. But lost them in a move many years ago and had no idea they could be modified until about 3 years ago when I found this forum through another one because of Boltsniper's work on homemades.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 01 January 2008 - 09:27 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#27 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

A call I got at 3:00 am from an old friend asking me if I would like to hunt people.

Oh man, I've fallen for that before. You should also be wary if someone asks you to EAT people. Take my word on this one , it's not what you're expecting.

I had a blast-a-ball and bow-n-arrow when they came out, but they were more recreational than really useful in foam warfare. It wasn't until I landed a sawtooth to counter my ballzooka that I started having indoor skirmishes with the other horsemen. We used to ransack my basement, turning over furniture and stacking various items to create individual little bases from within which we waged a variety of different war types. We were still indoors and using unmodified weapons (maybe the bow was modified) when I joined the listserve and met spoon and stefan. After that we inevitably made it outside and began modifying our weapons as we went. You have to understand that back then there was no place to go for modification instructions. They hadn't been done yet. You basically had a few basic options that you applied (with a fair amount of success) to all your weapons: 1: Make sure the barrels had no obstructions or air holes, 2: stretch the shit out of every spring, and 3: apply rubber bands liberally. As repetitive as some of the above stories are I do find them promising.

Ya' see, as much I love the resource that the NIC has become, and more specifically the tool that this site has grown into, looking back I think it is also presents a problem. I think if more nerfers started out by just having some fun with their friends instead of worrying about their guns so much we'd all be better for it. This thread shows me that this is the case with at least a few of the new guys.

VACC

#28 nmc2

nmc2

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:13 AM

the tool that this site has grown into,

sorry just thought thhat was funny
E=mc^2
Energy=Mass x Speed of light in a vacuum (in celeritas) squared
N=mc^2
Nerf=Mass of air in tank x Speed of air release in a barrel squared

"the whole damn song is a pick up line"

#29 reddog241

reddog241

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

I started playing with nerf guns after a saw a video on youtube about a war on nerf haven and i pulled a long shot out of storage and doing what i do today :D :) :P

#30 reddog241

reddog241

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Sorry about my first post i was obsessed with smileys :)

#31 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

Sorry about my first post i was obsessed with smileys :(

Didn't even see these, you can now consider that 3 month mute of the forever variety.

#32 jkool

jkool

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

My son got a Tommy 20 for his 6th birthday. He & I thought it was pretty kool. His birthday was the end of November 2009. I got him a Longshot with some of his birthday money. He & I loved that even more. I also liked the qualty of Nerf brand products & how they look. Well, Christmas was coming so I got him a bunch more guns when they were running sales. Now, 40+ guns & 3 months later...we are lovin it. I pick up some used ones at Goodwill & started modded them now which is fun too, so now I am learning that as well. Finally, it is a great way to bond with my son too!

#33 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:02 AM

For me it was two things, Youtube and Forsakenangel24.I had seen other mods on Youtube but seeing his stuff is what finally got me to pick up a nerf gun and open it up and I've never looked back.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#34 thaygor

thaygor

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

I got into nerf about three years ago. I was an uber nerd! And was trying to figgure out how to put guns into my small larp group while keeping the game at the same level for all the larpers. After getting a mav I realized how much fun it was to shoot my walls with suction cup darts. Not to much later I found out about mod's on YouTube and soon enough found this awesome playground. I've now quit larp and moved on into nerf ( wow what an improvement into nerdy hobbys). And I've been to around to see many wars and made alot of freinds along the way and hope to keep things going at the pace they are at.

~Tyler
Just remember you are unique, Just like everyone else!

#35 thaygor

thaygor

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

I got into nerf about three years ago. I was an uber nerd! And was trying to figgure out how to put guns into my small larp group while keeping the game at the same level for all the larpers. After getting a mav I realized how much fun it was to shoot my walls with suction cup darts. Not to much later I found out about mod's on YouTube and soon enough found this awesome playground. I've now quit larp and moved on into nerf ( wow what an improvement into nerdy hobbys). And I've been to around to see many wars and made alot of freinds along the way and hope to keep things going at the pace they are at.

~Tyler
Just remember you are unique, Just like everyone else!

#36 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

How many times do I have to tell you people not to respond to necros or their punishment? I understand this was a new page, but weren't you at least curious about why I just permabanned the person who posted above me?

Take a week off each.

#37 Wing Dairu

Wing Dairu

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

I used to have an Eagle Eye when I was a pup. Thought the red dot was the coolest thing in the world. Also had a crossbow-type deal, can't remember what it looked like, but it was basically the forerunner of the BBB.

About 15 years pass and I'm an avid CS:S player. For Halloween, I decide to dress up as a Counter-Terrorist. So I go out and, on a whim, decide to check out the Nerf aisle at wal-mart. There, I got my first current blaster: a Buzzbee Rapidfire. I took it home and wasted no time painting it a military black (save for the tip; Ashland's Halloween streets usually have cops standing by).

Later, I notice the Longshot on the shelves. I'm really into loser rifles, so I pick it up, along with some extra ammo. I take it home and get it out of the box (quickly taking the snaps off the front gun, so that I can remove the pistolgrip by taking out the 1x2 lego piece I have wedged in there). I decided I wanted to paint it, so I went online to get ideas. I stumbled here, and found out just how much the LS sucks out of the box. I decide that this is a place for me, sign up, and mod my LS.

Now I've got my rapidfire, my LS, a Recon, a Doubleshot, a Marauder longsword, and I recently aquired a Longstrike, which I plan on modding VERY soon.

Edited by Wing Dairu, 05 March 2010 - 01:01 PM.

I play to win, but I'll be the first to shake your hand if I lose.

#38 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

No one can be this clueless. I'd like to close this thread, but it's just too good at catching the undesriables.

Wing, you can take a 1 week seat. The next person is getting a month.

#39 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

I recommend "stickying" these kinds of topics such as your "First Nerf Gun" or your "Favorite Stock Blaster". I find these actually interesting topics and they make visits to these forums more fun. Go ahead and suspend me if you like, but I can tell you that the next thing I post, unless it responds to a Nerf war thread, will be much more relevant such as showing pictures of Nerf related stuff that I've done in the modifications photo thread.
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#40 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

You gonna get this one or should I?
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#41 Proga

Proga

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

When my younger brother was 4 he got the Scout ex-3 (the one with a target) for his birthday, and I got really jealous. Then when I was older and we all forgot about the gun I found it under my mom's bed, remembering it I bought a maverick, then a firefly. I was searching the internet one day for more Nerf and I found modding.
Don't shoot! Don't shoot! I'm a nood! Please don't shoot!

#42 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

Okay, I can't wait any longer.

Proga and SG Pilot have both been banned for a month.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#43 union131

union131

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:53 AM

What got you started in this hobby/obsession we all have? How did you happen to find this place? What about Nerfing appealed to you so much that you decided to become a member here?
I myself got started nerfing about two years ago or whenever the N-Strike Unity Power System came out. As soon as I got that for Christmas, I became obsessed with nerf. I found this wonderful place when I discovered how much an out of the box longshot sucked. I googled Nerf Modifications, and wound up here. One I read around a bit, I discovered that I wanted to become a member here. It took a bit but, I finally got approved and, here I am.

I got started when i was at my old friends house. We were having a sleepover for a party and i got the stock longshot. I dont have and haven't had any other kind of gun except a water gun btw. Well i was just facinated by the gun when i was shooting people with it. This happened like a week before my birthday and i came home and asked for the longshot for my birthday. I got a recon, then i was on youtube looking for other nerf guns then I found out you could mod them. So I watched and tried it on the recon. The recon broke, Hey it was my first time. And now I've got like 10 guns. Almost all are modded.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics seriously suck.

#44 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

Take a month off for being retardedly illiterate. That's right, you heard it here, that's a word now.

Next necro in this thread gets bumped up to a 3 month mandatory nerfcation.

#45 nerfman600

nerfman600

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

You guys have nothing better to do than just ban people don't you? haha, i laugh at you guys. The whole point of this topic is to remember the good old times a person had with how they got into the nerfing community. You mods are just spoiling it...so go ahead BAN me for all i care. I am going to respond!

My dad got me my first nightfinder at the age of 8 i believe? It was a first gen also! So cool! I still have it in my garage stock and with the lazer light still. It brings back so many memories.
Signatures, phigmatures, who uses those anymore. Oh me.

#46 SlightlySane813

SlightlySane813

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

I stated out nerfing when my friend invited me to his youth group where they play nerf wars throught the whole building. The first time he lent me an air zone six shot that was almost impossible to prime. Then before the next youth group I purchased a magstrike which at the time I thought was the best gun ever :D . My second gun was a big bad bow which ended up sucking against every one :( . So I turned to youtube to get opinions on which guns are good and others not so much. From there I discovered Uin13s page and how anyone can mod the guns for better performance. After my first air restritor mod I knew I had found a new hobby.
Also known as the French Canadian eh!

#47 Unit ZER0

Unit ZER0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

I got started working with and shooting nerf because airsoft was too expensive, and I can't leave well enough alone when it comes to basic mechanical gadgetry. I just want to make it better, faster, stronger. My first blaster was a longshot, the basis of the first "Shattershot" blaster. I just thougt: "How can we get this to shoot further, straighter, and faster?" That has been my mentality with every nerf blaster I have bought since. The additional modules I have built are other examples of being unable to leave well enough alone, and wanting to push the technological envelope, even if only a little.

Edited by Unit ZER0, 30 November 2010 - 06:33 AM.

There is no such thing as overkill... There is only OPEN FIRE, and RELOAD.

#48 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

Next necro'd thread I see by new members is going to result in a ban. That's two today. Lets not make it another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users