Homemade lvl4 Crossbow

227 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

I have been working on this in secret since August. Not being completely satisfied with the options available I decided to make a reliable and tranportable primary
The +Bow (PlusBow).
bow_002.jpg
Main Project Aim: Develop a homemade version of the Crossbow that has performance comparable to one modified to level 4. Due to increasing rarity and cost of obtaining them in decent condition, I will be making full construction plans available.

Secondary Project Aim: Integrate a rail attachment system to allow integrations to be mounted on the gun using adapter brackets and quick-release pins making the base weapon adaptable to the needs of different play types. Also work to reduce part count, simplify construction, reduce build cost, and make the gun as easy to service and repair as possible.

The prototype is mostly finished. I just have to cut out the remaining rod pieces using the table saw. And then probably make some adjustments to the trigger design. The ergonomics of the homemade are based directly off of the original Crossbow. (Thanks to Dark Shrimp for lending me a shell to measure)
bow_003.jpg
The core of the grip will be fine cell polyethylene foam to reduce weight and improve comfort. The parts for the stock should be finished tomorrow.
The end of the plunger chamber is capped with a 1" to 1/2" hex bushing adapter so that the end user can decide what barrel they want to use.
bow_004.jpg

Once the prototype is finished and working I will work on the write-up while making the second one.

Video

Rev. 3 Construction write-up
Rev. 2 Construction write-up
Rev. 1 Construction write-up
Mirror version at Instructables

Finished +bow
bow_026.jpg

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 August 2016 - 02:32 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#2 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

Awesome!
Those pictures are without a barrel, right?
I don't see any sights. Are they hidden or are there not any in the CAD?
What is the function of the U-shaped piece with a hole in it at the muzzle?
The foam handle is a nice idea. It sounds comfortable.
What is the diameter of the plunger tube?

Even at $90, it is cheaper than a x-bow and I would be willing to pay it.

Nice job.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#3 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

A kit would be nice, if the price was lower than $90.

#4 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

Damn, finally a cheap way of geting out of the X-Bow. Cant wait for the write-up, but I do agree with DarkInfection, if you made a kit, non assembled, it would be awesome for those who cant find the materials around their area.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

I did forget to mention in the initial post that another primary feature of this design is that the gun can be broken down easily for shipping or transporting it to wars. When broken down the gun should fit in a standard size USPS Priority box, or the smaller size boxes I get from mcmaster when I order something.

1. Those pictures are without a barrel, right?
2. I don't see any sights. Are they hidden or are there not any in the CAD?
3. What is the function of the U-shaped piece with a hole in it at the muzzle?
4. What is the diameter of the plunger tube?

1. Correct
2. There are rear sights on the frame piece that line up with the tip of the barrel. I decided against front sights because I wasn't sure what elevation difference to add between them to get accurate results. I'll have to figure that out while testing, but the sights now should work.
3. That's an example adapter bracket for integrating a secondary weapon to attach using the rail system. I'll short more detail on that next week.
4. ID of the plunger tube is 1-3/8". Plunger travel is set to 6 inches, but could be changed by cutting the notch in the plunger rod at a different spot. I may try adding one or two extra notches to the plunger rod to give multiple draw strength options.

The price will primarily be determined by how much time it takes to make each one.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 21 December 2007 - 08:40 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

Is there any chance you could make templates for it, like the Longshot shotgun grip?
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#7 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:25 PM

Most impressive as always. I look forward to seeing how it comes out once it all come to compleation.

Edited by Z-man12, 21 December 2007 - 09:26 PM.

I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#8 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:32 PM

Damn.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#9 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

Wow, just awesome. No Crossbow rerelease, but who needs one when you can get one CaptainSlug style!
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#10 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

This looks absolutely awesome. If the kits are cheap enough, I'll probably buy one or two.
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#11 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

Is there any chance you could make templates for it, like the Longshot shotgun grip?

I will be releasing full plans that include printable machining templates with notations on holes sizes and tapping requirements. You shouldn't have to do any measuring, you just print the template onto label paper then stick them to the protective film of the plastic sheets. I'll also get an itemized materials list done eventually.

Tools to be required for making your own
+ Scrollsaw
+ PowerDrill or Drillpress
+ Mitre Box & Mitre Saw
+ #6-32 Tapping Bit
+ Screwdriver
+ Hobby Knife (to clean the edges of the sheets once cut)

No other tools expressly needed. All tools listed are not easily substitutable and I don't recommend attempting to make this gun with anything other than a scrollsaw due to the size of the parts you will be making.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 21 December 2007 - 10:30 PM.

#12 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:08 PM

Wow, one more thing for us Alibre users. Could you post up an Alibre Download?
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:10 PM

Maybe. Once the design is finalized.

#14 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:32 PM

Like always, your work looks perfect and I have little doubt that it will function prefect too. And I know theres no way to test ranges as of yet, but could you make an estimate?
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#15 southpaw

southpaw

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

This is really quite amazing. Is the handle comfy? It looks a little square-ish and awkward.
Sup?

#16 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

Assembly really doesn't take anywhere near as much time as prepping and machining the parts. It takes less than one hour to assemble the gun.

And I know theres no way to test ranges as of yet, but could you make an estimate?

Just based on the strength of the spring and the plunger dimensions it should be able to atleast has performance comparable to a maxshot (100 foot average range). The only way to find out is to just test it.

This is really quite amazing. Is the handle comfy? It looks a little square-ish and awkward.

Feels pretty good now. Should feel even better with the foam added. If anyone finds it not to their liking it wouldn't involve very much effort to alter the grip by cutting new pieces based on the existing one.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 22 December 2007 - 09:27 AM.

#17 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:56 AM

That is amazing. Personally, I'd take one of yours over an xbow. The adaptability you put into it is one of the best parts. Another ridiculously awesome idea brought to life. Keep up the good work.

#18 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:40 AM

When do you plan to sell them?
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#19 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:29 AM

When do you plan to sell them?

Unknown at present. It's a very likely eventuality, but I'm not sure when I will have the time needed to make more than two of these.

#20 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

Sweet. You hinted my toward the fact you were going to do this at the Summer DCNO, when I asked what you were bidding on a crossbow on Ebay for. You said something about trying to recreate one yourself. I gotta say, it looks pretty sweet. I'm glad the idea of a homeade crossbow finally came to fruitation. I'd definatelly buy one if you start selling them.

I still want a real one though...

Edited by shadowkid33, 22 December 2007 - 10:53 AM.

how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#21 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:36 AM

Prototype is ready for testing. Some minor dimensional revisions to the trigger are needed to remove dead space.
Posted Image

#22 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

you should only make and sell 50 of them. Then they will be as rare as the xbow. Then you can keep 20 to yourself. And sell them on ebay in 10 years. Haha.
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#23 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

Preliminary ranges using streamlines and a 12-inch CPVC barrel are averaging between 110 to 140 feet when firing level. I managed to shoot my 12-year-old neighbor in the helmet at 80 feet while he was riding by on his bike, so I'm happy to say the sights work.
The only things I need to work on are fixing the trigger to make it deeper, and cutting the hole for the plunger rod in the frame piece behind the plunger tube smaller so that the rod doesn't shift around quite so much.
Posted Image

Edited by CaptainSlug, 22 December 2007 - 01:16 PM.

#24 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

Put me down for one from the first batch.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#25 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:29 PM

I would also be down for one from the first batch. How is the rail/integrating part going?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users