What Kind Of Glue To Use

on the outside

9 replies to this topic

#1 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

I searched around a bit and didn't find what I was looking for. I know hot glue could be used for it, but I want something stronger and more reliable.

I'm attaching a different pistol grip to a tek 6 and I want to know if I should use epoxy or Bondo or maybe even JBweld (skeptical on that).

Thanks
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#2 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

I searched around a bit and didn't find what I was looking for. I know hot glue could be used for it, but I want something stronger and more reliable.

I'm attaching a different pistol grip to a tek 6 and I want to know if I should use epoxy or Bondo or maybe even JBweld (skeptical on that).

Thanks

get plastic sheets (or cardboard) and hot glue them together on the inside, using the sheets for support, then use plumber`s goop
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#3 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Epoxy is cheap, strong, and forms a durable, long-lasting bond. Use that instead.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#4 ltvills

ltvills

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thanks

Well I use Plumbers Cement or Grout The upside for both of them are great durable hold but only Plumbers cement is air tight and water tight. or just use epoxy then reinforce with hot glue.
Retired Australian Nerfer Due To University
=[

#5 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

I just don't like hot glue in general. I know it can be useful in some applications but I have used it throughout middle school and high school shop classes and have and haven't been impressed with it. I just don't feel that it would have the strength to hold a high stress portion intact with the forces that might be applied to it. It has it's uses, but I don't feel that I should use it externally. It also doesn't like to form well...

I guess I'll go with epoxy, maybe I can slip out of the house to drive to get some.

Thanks for the input guys.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#6 Wisey

Wisey

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:10 PM

I kninda know what you mean about hotglue, although I find it good for testing things, becuase it just rips off if you want to change something (e.g. a barrel replacement).

I use Araldite for permanate fixtures, or Bisonite, which is insansly strong. Once you glued something with that stuff, it ain't coming off.

Edited by Wisey!, 20 December 2007 - 07:10 PM.

#7 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:17 PM

Can I get that stuff at HD/Lowes or Ace? I've never seen/heard of it before.
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#8 ltvills

ltvills

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

Im sure you will get them at ace but not 100%
Retired Australian Nerfer Due To University
=[

#9 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts
  • Location:A small town in Michigan that you've never heard of, so don't bother asking.

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

I use a large mixture of super and hot glue. I use the super glue first, and then the hot glue. it holds very strong. Sometimes the fumes get to your head though, so when that happens, don't try to test your new mod point blank on your under arm. You do not want to go there. Trust me.
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#10 Wisey

Wisey

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:56 AM

I use a large mixture of super and hot glue. I use the super glue first, and then the hot glue. it holds very strong.

I've tried that before (for a clipped BBB) and it does hold pretty well.

As for Araldite and Bisonite, I'm not sure where you can get them. Although I havn't seen Bisonite around for a while, I did find somewhere selling it when I Googled it though. I remeber reading on the packet that 1cm³ of Bisoite can hold something like 30 stone (420 pounds) I don't know if thats true or not but it's pretty insane even if it's half that. Although dunno how pointful it is really as the stuff you bond together with it will break before the glue itself does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users