Automatic Realoader

not a write up

11 replies to this topic

#1 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:34 PM

i was looking at some of my nerf guns the other day, and i saw that slide type guns look as if that they could be modded to have a little motor that would slide the air compressing mech back.

this probably wouldnt work because of that it would have to be able to switch back to the front of the gun.

i think that i might try this in christmas break,if you have any questions, comments, flame, or advice please post.

EJ

#2 saxynerfer

saxynerfer

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Sounds like a good idea, but you're going to need a very powerful motor for the size, and that means big, heavy batteries or a very long extension cord. You might have better luck with an air tank.

Some advise:
Clean up punctuation and grammar
Don't post "idea / concept" threads

I like a thinker and I would hate to see you banned.

I just usually bang mine against some sort of ananimaite object untill it eventually breaks off.

#3 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like a good idea, but you're going to need a very powerful motor for the size, and that means big, heavy batteries or a very long extension cord. You might have better luck with an air tank.

Some advise:
Clean up punctuation and grammar
Don't post "idea / concept" threads

I like a thinker and I would hate to see you banned.

OK, i will think before i post now on.
What do you mean by "You might have better luck with an air tank"

#4 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

Sounds pretty cool. Although, it'd be a given that you can cock it faster, and it might just be me, but I pretty much only use single shot springers, so I reload and cock the gun after ever shot, and it would just screw me up completely not having to cock it.

Welcome to the 'Haven, and I look foreword to the finished product.

Edited by penguin807, 19 December 2007 - 10:49 PM.

#5 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Sounds pretty cool. Although, it'd be a given that you can cock it faster, and it might just be me, but I pretty much only use single shot springers, so I reload and cock the gun after ever shot, and it would just screw me up completely not having to cock it.

Welcome to the 'Haven, and I look foreword to the finished product.

I agree with you, it would be very aqward to use. I always wanted a dart gun would act and work like a real gun.
This idea came to me because i really hated having to go through the "cock-put dart in-shoot" sequence and wanted a single shot gun that would have very fast reloading.

EJ

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:29 PM

Won't work, end of story.
There's no motor strong enough to prime a spring-plunger gun without requiring a very large power supply to go with it. Even a small pathetic spring in a side-arm stores 15 pounds of force. For an electric motor that is alot to overcome and the current required is significant.

I always wanted a dart gun would act and work like a real gun.

Also impossible, sorry. Conventional firearms rely on the stored chemical energy of the propellant. Our darts have no such source of potential energy to use, so they require potential energy to be added in the form of muscle. Either by priming a spring, or pumping a chamber up to a pressure level usable to fire the dart.

While I am working on a semi-automatic homemade, it's not going to be the most practical gun ever conceived because it will still need an external power source to work in just semi-automatic form. In this case a paintball tank.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 19 December 2007 - 11:34 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:38 PM

There's no motor strong enough to prime a spring-plunger gun without requiring a very large power supply to go with it. Even a small pathetic spring in a side-arm stores 15 pounds of force. For an electric motor that is alot to overcome and the current required is significant.

I always wanted a dart gun would act and work like a real gun.

Also impossible, sorry.

You are right guns that reload themself are very sofisticated and would be preety hard to copy that function into a shell of plastic.

#8 TAiLsChaser

TAiLsChaser

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

Well it also doesn't help when several Nerf guns jam easily. And what I mean by this is the Maverick. I can cock and fire the thing fast but there's always about one or two that stick when I go full speed. Besides, from my experience, my PSII is really the kind of gun I want. Long ranged, accurate. I could careless that it's a single shot. I'm confident in my skills to attempt a one-shot, one-kill ideology. And if you're still thinking it'd be cool to have a nerf gun like a real gun, consider this: usually the fast a gun shoots, the more inaccurate it gets. There's more reasons but bolt-actions are still the choice for insanely accurate rifles.
"Every mod I do is original. I'm a true modder; not a mod re-performer."

"It’s only after you’ve made the mistake and taken the wrong path, do you see all the other options that were before you."

#9 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:50 AM

My friend and I have thought about this a little bit.
He has an Airsoft gun that works like this, it has a little gear with a fewer amount of teeth. A tooth will pull back the spring then release it in time for another tooth to pull it back again.
Though, this is an Airsoft spring, which is probably pretty weak.
But can't a drill motor pull back a gear with quite a bit of force?

#10 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, but do you really want to carry a drill around? It's easier to just cock it regularly.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#11 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:10 AM

When I said I wanted a gun that would act and perform like a real gun I meant as if it would still be a nerf gun with ranges still measured in feet, but cock it self. Specifically for some of the stronger guns because I like to play nerf with some of my cousins, friends etc. but some of them are little and can’t really cock stronger guns.

Last night I had thought about it and thought that I could have a spinning motor attached to a track that would bring the air compressor back.

I’m not so sure on this idea because it would have to be strong reliant and compact.

I’m starting to think that these ideas only work in imaginations but if anyone has an idea or something to say go ahead and post it.

EJ

#12 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, but do you really want to carry a drill around? It's easier to just cock it regularly.

Well you can always take the motor out and put in the the gun. And this concept was for dual wielding pistols, where manually cocking the both of them after each shot would be a pain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users