Photo

Bbb Rockets

15 replies to this topic

#1 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

I was thinking the other day that a rocket spring gun would be nice so I decided that the BBB would fit this criteria. I didn't want to buy another BBB just for more rockets so I decided to find a way to make my own. In this write up I will show you my method for this.

Posted Image

-Scale

-5/8" FBR

-Foam Pipe Insulation (it comes in a clear and orange package at Home Depot and it says that it fits over ½" copper pipe)

-1mm or 2mm thick Foam Craft Sheet

-Pen or Sharpie

-Ruler

-Scissors or X-acto knife

-Hot Glue Gun (not pictured)

The first thing that you want to do is cut the pipe insulation to about 5.5".

Posted Image

Now cut the FBR to about 1.5".

Posted Image

Slide the FBR into the pipe insulation. It won't be tight but make sure it isn't too loose. If you think that it is too loose then put it into the dryer or what ever you do to make FBR thicker.

Posted Image

It is now time to cut the rudders or whatever you call them. To do this just draw the shape of one onto your craft foam sheet. Cut it out and then lay it out onto another part of the craft foam and trace it. Cut it again and then repeat so that you have three identical pieces of craft foam.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is when you will want to take out the hot glue gun and, well glue. First you will want to glue the FBR in place inside of the pipe insulation. When the glue is almost hard you should put an ice cube against it to make it flat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next glue the rudders into place by cutting three slits into the pipe insulation. Slide the rudders into place and then glue them there. The key is not to use to much glue or else you will weigh it down.

Posted Image

Now measure the weight using the scale if you have one and it should come to about 1/8 of a pound or two ounces.

Here is what your finished product should look like.

Posted Image

BBB Video

The ranges are about 50'.

Edited by Foam_Shooter, 02 January 2008 - 03:20 PM.

#2 NerfRifleman

NerfRifleman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

very nice job, i think ill try this, ive seen the pipe insulation but i never guessed that it could be made into rockets.
don't they have a slit in the side so you can put it on the piping?

#3 NerfRifleman

NerfRifleman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

very nice job, i think ill try this, ive seen the pipe insulation but i never guessed that it could be made into rockets.
don't they have a slit in the side so you can put it on the piping?

#4 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

How thick are they compared to a normal BBB arrow?
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#5 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

How thick are they compared to a normal BBB arrow?

They are thicker than the BBB arrows. I would compare them to the LBB rockets or Max Shot rockets. I will do testing to see if this works with the Max Shot tommorow.

#6 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

ignore

Edited by P.C. III, 19 December 2007 - 08:35 PM.

QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#7 Guest_CornMan_*

Guest_CornMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

Nice improvizing. I am going to have to try this. And just a little suggestion, why not just super glue the fins to the foam? That way you don't have to worry about weighing it down, and the glue will not melt the foam. But yes, very nice. And the range you said the foam arrows got with a bbb, what kind of mod is that? A simple AR removal mod? And is that an angled or flat range? But the arrows look great, and the video was good. Short, Sweet, and to the point. :(

#8 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

Were the ranges comperable to that of a commercial arrow?
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#9 hornet

hornet

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:44 PM

Those look cool i might have to make some. Good idea man.
Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

#10 voidSkipper

voidSkipper

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:12 AM

I recently used fbr in some schoolwork. My classmates and I found that if you get one of those large hot glue guns, the tips are hot enough to melt the foam. If you're that worried about glue weighing it down, just heat up and melt the edge of the tail fin that's going in the slot with the tip of the glue gun, and put it in before it dries. No extra weight.

#11 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

I recently used fbr in some schoolwork. My classmates and I found that if you get one of those large hot glue guns, the tips are hot enough to melt the foam. If you're that worried about glue weighing it down, just heat up and melt the edge of the tail fin that's going in the slot with the tip of the glue gun, and put it in before it dries. No extra weight.

Of course the tips are hot enough to melt the foam. It's like...400 degrees celcius, or farenheit (sp) I forgot which one.
kthxbaisend

#12 voidSkipper

voidSkipper

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

Of course the tips are hot enough to melt the foam. It's like...400 degrees celcius, or farenheit (sp) I forgot which one.

Well I'd only had the pleasure of using the smaller glueguns up to that point, which I'd never managed to melt foam with.

#13 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

Well I'd only had the pleasure of using the smaller glueguns up to that point, which I'd never managed to melt foam with.

Oh, that sucks. And sorry if I sounded like a dick, I was just having a bad day.
kthxbaisend

#14 voidSkipper

voidSkipper

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:38 AM

Oh, that sucks. And sorry if I sounded like a dick, I was just having a bad day.

Nah, no drama. I was just clarifying (:

#15 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Do you need a certain size barrel for these to work?
EDIT: What is the scale for?

Edited by sn1per, 02 January 2008 - 03:13 PM.

QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#16 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

My bad I need to edit the write up. The scale is to measure the weight of the rocket because it should come to two ounces. Also these are made for the big bad bow rockets but it works with the max shot just as well.

Edited by Foam_Shooter, 05 June 2008 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users