Homemade Whiteboard

cheap and effective

16 replies to this topic

#1 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

So a few weeks ago I decided I wanted a whiteboard. I looked at several options and all of them were expensive - a 4x8' whiteboard would probably run about $250-300 and I don't have that kind of money. So the natural choice was a homemade board. This is not my idea (I found several articles about it on different sites but none with a step-by-step writeup), but I thought it would be nice if the information was accessible here, so I snapped a few pictures of it. Now, onto the writeup.

Posted Image

What you start with:

Posted Image

It's a 4x8' piece of tileboard from Lowe's (also known as showerboard or panelboard). It's made to be put on the walls in bathrooms so it resists stains and water. A sheet this big is only $11 so if you have the wall space you could cover a huge area with this stuff really cheaply. Carrying it is the pain the ass but it's only 1/8" thick so you can cut it with a jigsaw.

You'll need some markers too. I use Expo markers because they're the cheapest ones at my OfficeMax. I also got an eraser there but a regular chalkboard or whiteboard eraser works better.

Posted Image

The next step after cutting it (if necessary. I cut mine so it would fit in my room) is to mount it. By far the best way to do this is sheeters. You can use mirror holders but they suck and like to snap and let the board come loose. Here is what the sheeters look like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see they're just screws with bolt-like heads and padded washers around them. You screw them through the board and into the wall like this.

Posted Image

Finally, here's the finished product. It's almost 29 square feet so the picture doesn't show all of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The video shows that it erases pretty cleanly and easily. There is a little ghosting when marker is left on for a while but I had some math on there for about four days and was still able to get most of it off. You need to clean the board every few days with a dampened paper towel but that only takes about two minutes and the board looks brand new after it's done. If you have dogs I don't recommend letting them walk on the board before you put it up because mine has several little scratches on it that have gotten filled with black marker after some use and are now impossible to get rid of. Nothing major, but it is annoying.

I highly recommend doing this if you want a good place to brainstorm or just something to draw on. I probably saved about 95% with a homemade whiteboard rather than a "real" one.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 12 December 2007 - 09:48 PM.

SexD Warves

#2 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:34 PM

Thanks bro. I wanted a 4'x8' whiteboard for my room, but I don't have the capital (or the will to find that kind of capital) to invest. This is perfect timing, I was hoping to have one for the first week of January. Now there's no reason why I can't.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#3 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

A few days too late! I got some crappy big board from Wal-Mart and it is the worst built thing I have ever seen.

Going to try this though, can anyone in Canada confirm if they sell tileboard at Home Depot, Home Hardware, or Rona?

Now, any ideas for my crappy Wal-Mart board?

You can also use plexiglass and write on it and it is erasable aswell, pretty need effect writing on a transparent surface, but hard to read.

#4 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

Shouldn't this be in a "Homemade Whiteboard" or "Uses-for-Tileboard" forum? Or even a "Creative-Ideas-for-Shower-Materials" forum if you're desperate...
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#5 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:15 AM

Shouldn't you be in a "I'm a douchebag who wants to discriminate against those more creative than I" forum?

Sorry Mike, I thought you were dicking around on AIM when you mentioned this, it's pretty cool. I was considering getting something for my wall, so I might do this.

Edited by RAMBO, 13 December 2007 - 02:15 AM.

#6 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:20 AM

Looks good Monkey. A+.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#7 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:28 AM

Well, I'm reading this so I must have no life like you. By the way, I'll make sure to PM you a ???.

Oh, and this also works:

http://www.instructable.com/id/DIY-Homemad...the-cheap!/

Edited by Ubermensch, 13 December 2007 - 08:24 AM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#8 cappold

cappold

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

I did this about 5 years back but glued the sheets to a sheet of 3/4" plywood. I cut a 2'x6' section out of the bottom center of the the plywood before glue-ing and add some hinges so that it would stand on it's own. Then I added a bit of trim around each edge to pretty them up a bit. I use them as signs in my businesses to display daily specials or whatever community event is going on.

#9 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

Wow...i might just try to cover my whole room with that now!
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#10 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

Shouldn't this be in a "Homemade Whiteboard" or "Uses-for-Tileboard" forum? Or even a "Creative-Ideas-for-Shower-Materials" forum if you're desperate...

I tried Googling for some but my parents didn't want me joining any of them...those tileboard forums are hotbeds for pedophiles.

Well, I'm reading this so I must have no life like you. By the way, I'll make sure to PM you a ???.

Oh, and this also works:

You have no life? Why are you going to PM me? I have no idea what you're talking about.

The bag idea would work but it seems a little restrictive on size. Maybe plastic wrap would work but that's still only a foot wide or so. I chose the tileboard mainly because it was the only option that would let me make it as big as I wanted.
SexD Warves

#11 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

I tried Googling for some but my parents didn't want me joining any of them...those tileboard forums are hotbeds for pedophiles.

Mike, you 'da man.

But I prefer using "i"'s for my initial terms, the "o"'s thing isn't as obvious to me. You'll learn very quickly that different greek letters/symbols stand for MANY different things, which is annoying as hell.

Anyways, way to use your head on this one, and I'm glad it worked out. I still prefer the good ol' chalk though.

#12 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

Thanks alot. Now I have to go and buy the stuff to set one of thses things up just because you showed me how easy it is.
No really. I need one now. I could put them up in my basement for nerfing and desinging nerf. I could put them in my room for randow drawing and designing again. Possibilities are endless. This is one of the greatest finds I've seen posted.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#13 dadude778

dadude778

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

Nerfmonkey this is great. I was planning on buying one of those super expensive ones for my algebra homework( not the smatest guy ;) ) but now I can just make one. This will also help me with nerf designs and such. Thanks again.

This made me laugh :D .

Edited by dadude778, 13 December 2007 - 08:05 PM.

Make sure the top of your gun is parallel to the ground when firing.
Finish those other mods so I have something else to read on here.
Now have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up. :)

- Forsaken_angel24

#14 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:17 PM

[quote name='Ubermensch' post='132274' date='Dec 13 2007, 07:28 AM']

Oh, and this also works:

[/quote]

You have no life? Why are you going to PM me? I have no idea what you're talking about.

The bag idea would work but it seems a little restrictive on size. Maybe plastic wrap would work but that's still only a foot wide or so. I chose the tileboard mainly because it was the only option that would let me make it as big as I wanted.
[/quote]

I was commenting about the small words you wrote on the bottom of the board on the eighth picture. The bag idea only works If you want a small board, you're right. Unfortunately, it is also flimsier, but my local ACE hardware.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#15 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

Fuck dude, how many people can't keep up with a joke?
Don't you see hes trying to keep it funny and secretive?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#16 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:58 AM

I couldn't read the last part. No prize.
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#17 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:26 PM

If you pre-drill the holes into the tileboard, drywall screws would be a good idea for securing larger pieces to the wall. Drywall screws will offer more grip than sheet metal screws and will leave smaller holes that are easier to patch later.
Whenever possible it's also a good idea to put atleast the center screw into a stud so that the drywall isn't supporting all the weight. But for an item that's this light it's no big deal.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 December 2007 - 02:28 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users