Photo

Possible War At University Of Maryland

need your input

113 replies to this topic

Poll: Interested? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be able to attend a war in January?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When would be good for you? (please only answer this if you answered yes to the above)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

We might host a war (or several) over our winter break. Nerf Apocalypse Society, or NAS, is trying to find out if there is enough outside interest to have a war during the month of January. We'd do several different games, including VIP, CTF, multiple team death match, etc. It would likely be indoors in one of our amazingly labyrinth-like buildings, due to the cold weather. Please let us know if you are able!

IMPORTANT UPDATE:If you are under 18, please provide a signed slip from a parent/guardian acknowledging that there are some small dangers to playing nerf, and that you should be wearing eye protection. I can't let you play if you don't have this. Everyone over 18, I'll have some waivers on hand, just so the university is kosher with it. Due to the cold, we will likely be playing inside, in some of the amazing places on campus. This isn't your standard indoors, either, there will be atrium with nice cover that are up to 60 feet across, 50x50 ft elevators, other crazy things.=. This will be amazing. We will have several different types of games, I recommend you bring a bandanna if you have one available, as well as any dart tag vests, eye protection you may have. Bring a small snack and fluids, but we may eat out afterwards.

In addition some of our members use melee weapons. If you wish to get a SAFE one (ALL must be certified before use) the Buzzbee swords at KB for about 5-6 bucks are always legit. If you want to make your own, contact me.

Preliminary attendance list:

Squishy + ~8
Groove
Lionhead +2
G1 Shark
echo104b
OMC(?)
Shindig(?)
Rambo(?)
CaptainSlug
Shorty
CAPS(?)
VACC
Badger
Maryann
total ~20-26

19th is now a solid date. We are attempting to reserve two buildings from 9 to 5 (exact times NOT certain yet)

Final update:
Starts at 10AM, lasts till tired. Please bring a bandana if possible. Bring eye protection. see
http://umdnerf.com/UMD_NAS_Waiver.pdf
for permission/liabilty form. Forms will be available at the event, minors will need a parent guardian to sign the form. You may park in Lots AA, 1b, 1d or 7.
See
http://www.studentor...round_Stamp.jpg
For where the lots are. (THIS MAP IS FOR A DIFFERENT EVENT, I STOLE IT!)

Go here and click on Art Sociology building to see where it is in relation to the lots. On the above picture, is it below the lot:

http://www.parking.umd.edu/themap/

Please please please try to figure out everything yourself. I will be posting my number in the Haven, which should only be used if you have been looking for half an hour or more, or something similarly serious. Feel free to ask pedestrains where the "Art/Sociology Building" is located. If they have problems with that, ask for "Cole Field House." It is pretty close. If the door on the Art Sociology building is not open, please look around for the open entrance. Thanks, any questions should be asked preferably by the end of the night.

Edited by Squishy, 18 January 2008 - 05:59 PM.

Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
Weekly games and summer Dart o' War.
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#2 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

I'd be down for that. Reckoning is Jan. 12th, so anything after that would probably be ideal in terms of mustering up a sizable crowd from the NIC.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#3 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:31 PM

how does the weekend of the 20th sound to everyone?
Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#4 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:31 PM

Heh, we need to host something in Marie Mount Hall. It doesn't get any more labyrinth-like than that.

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:55 PM

how does the weekend of the 20th sound to everyone?

The 20th should work for me. I've PM'd you about war rules, acceptable weapons, etc.

-Groove

#6 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

I'd love to come. Later in January would be best, as it would give me more time to plan. Keep in mind- the largest turnout wars usually have over a month of cooking time on the boards, to get all possible members to view it.

I'm not positive I can come, as I don't have a 2008 calender up. I'll let you know.
My main concern is that I'm only 14. How would I be received at a war on a colledge campus?

EDIT: Also, I'll probably bring two friends.

Edited by lionhead333, 11 December 2007 - 08:55 PM.

QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#7 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

I'd love to come. Later in January would be best, as it would give me more time to plan. Keep in mind- the largest turnout wars usually have over a month of cooking time on the boards, to get all possible members to view it.

I'm not positive I can come, as I don't have a 2008 calender up. I'll let you know.
My main concern is that I'm only 14. How would I be received at a war on a colledge campus?

Buddy, if you act mature 'enough' then you will be received fine. A good display of sportsmanship and maturity(heck, you just asked us how you'd be 'received'! :) ) is all we really ask. Keep in mind, that, though some may disagree, this IS Nerf. I'm not sure anyone who nerfs takes things too seriously. To us, you'll just be a smaller target :P

Edited by Squishy, 11 December 2007 - 05:36 PM.

Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#8 G1shark

G1shark

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

I've been yearning for a nerf game (been trying to get one established here) I use to be the president of the frederick community college's nerf club. I'd love to go, I can bring afew friends with me, aswell as some 6 foot long flags with bases along with some of our roles if your interested in that aswell? I know 4 people right off the top of my head not including myself that can attend with possiblitys of more.

#9 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

I've been yearning for a nerf game (been trying to get one established here) I use to be the president of the frederick community college's nerf club. I'd love to go, I can bring afew friends with me, aswell as some 6 foot long flags with bases along with some of our roles if your interested in that aswell? I know 4 people right off the top of my head not including myself that can attend with possiblitys of more.

Yeah! That would save me the trouble of tracking down ours! roles? what do you mean?

IMPORTANT UPDATE:If you are under 18, please provide a signed slip from a parent/guardian acknowledging that there are some small dangers to playing nerf, and that you should be wearing eye protection. I can't let you play if you don't have this. Everyone over 18, I'll have some waivers on hand, just so the university is kosher with it. Due to the cold, we will likely be playing inside, in some of the amazing places on campus. This isn't your standard indoors, either, there will be atriums with nice cover that are up to 60 feet across, 50x50 ft elevators, other crazy things.=. This will be amazing. We will have several different types of games, I recommend you bring a bandanna if you have one available, as well as any dart tag vests, eye protection you may have. Bring a small snack and fluids, but we may eat out afterwards.

In addition some of our members use melee weapons. If you wish to get a SAFE one (ALL must be certified before use) the Buzzbee swords at KB for about 5-6 bucks are always legit. If you want to make your own, contact me.

Edited by Squishy, 11 December 2007 - 11:10 PM.

Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#10 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:42 PM

Other notable differences in our ruleset (off the top of my head):

Melee weapons can be used to deflect incomming darts as well as score kills.

There is no "tapping." You must fire the shot to score a kill.

Stefans are not allowed to be used in certain blasters, like modded Airtech 3k's or LBB's.

#11 G1shark

G1shark

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

Yeah! That would save me the trouble of tracking down ours! roles? what do you mean?

IMPORTANT UPDATE:If you are under 18, please provide a signed slip from a parent/guardian acknowledging that there are some small dangers to playing nerf, and that you should be wearing eye protection. I can't let you play if you don't have this. Everyone over 18, I'll have some waivers on hand, just so the university is kosher with it. Due to the cold, we will likely be playing inside, in some of the amazing places on campus. This isn't your standard indoors, either, there will be atriums with nice cover that are up to 60 feet across, 50x50 ft elevators, other crazy things.=. This will be amazing. We will have several different types of games, I recommend you bring a bandanna if you have one available, as well as any dart tag vests, eye protection you may have. Bring a small snack and fluids, but we may eat out afterwards.

sorry about that, ment to say Rules.

btw im sorry I never got to go to one of your zombie games, they look truely amazing and I've wanted to bring my team down for the event, but I never knew where it was being held until now.

All will be over 18 that come with me.

Other notable differences in our ruleset (off the top of my head):

Melee weapons can be used to deflect incomming darts as well as score kills.

There is no "tapping." You must fire the shot to score a kill.

Stefans are not allowed to be used in certain blasters, like modded Airtech 3k's or LBB's.

we typically use to have it so only 13/14 inch darcon foam blades (almost like dagger or combat knives) are allowed for melee weapons, All had to be tested by president/hosts to make sure they could be admitted.

I'm use to not using custom guns, mostly due to one of the people we had modding our guns, would go a tad overboard on the mods.

I also made a rule that only arrow/balls ammo couldnt be blocked by gun or melee weapon. (explosive shot kinda acted the same as a armor peircing shot)

For the flag games, If you get shot you have to touch the enemy's base then touch your own to "spawn" back into the game. The game would go on until the flag had been captured, if the flag was captured by another team at the same time you had captured there flag, then you would attempt to retreive your flag and the frist team to do so would win, but it rarely came to that.

Afew other rules where no pistol whipping

Trying not to aim for the head

no throwing the flag after you got shot, you just drop it where you where killed.

I soppose my rules are alittle different than yours, but it will be good to meet another club and see there way of doing things :D

Edited by G1shark, 12 December 2007 - 12:21 AM.

#12 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:07 AM

20th is a conflict for me, but I may blow that off. If we can do it on the 19th (Saturday instead of Sunday), that would be great. I have a few questions.

1) Can we move it to the following week if it's good for everyone else? If not no big deal, I'll still probably come down.

2) Groove and myself are used to what I believe is a completely different type of nerfing. What's the deal with modded weapons and your indoor field. I know our stuff can cause some damage, so I'm a little worried about that. Playing with stock guns is not that appealing to me to be honest.

3) Any idea on a head count for now?

That would do it for now. PS, to those who don't know I'm 24. I'll be down that weekend staying in Baltimore most likely and come down for the game.
I hate you.

#13 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:01 AM

I haven't had a chance to talk to Squishy, so no idea on the final date.

We allow modded guns, but stefans are a major safety issue in some of them. I suppose it's mostly my fault. As it is, I'm pushing the line of what's allowed by wrapping etape around the heads of cut-down taggers (before you get too concerned about how restrictive our ruleset is, I've punched clean through ceiling tile using those darts and ten or so pumps on an Airtech 3k.)

We have several buildings that we're thinking about playing in, as we've tried playing in the snow, and it's all too easy to lose your darts when you're shooting them from modded guns. Which becomes a concern when stefans are not allowed for the more powerful modded guns. Besides, we have several buildings that are quite creatively designed and allow for both close-quarters action and long-ranged standoffs within the same building.

#14 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

I have no problem with moving the date a week back. Whatever works to garner a better attendance works for me.

However, now that it's been brought up, ironing out the issues with acceptable modified weapons would make this an easier decision for some of us. Because as OMC said, this is a completely different type of Nerfing than most of us are used to.

Stefans are the universal standard for a lot of us, and most (if not all) of our guns have been modified to shoot them. I hardly have any converted taggers; maybe five within my total possession. Skepticism on an AT3K leads me to believe that my Crossbow would be banned - and playing stock is not something that is very appealing to me, either. Any sort of definite, ironed-out rules regarding modified weapons and modified ammo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Groove

#15 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

I'd be willing to consider the 19th. As the others have said, I'd need details on whether or not my blasters will meet the requirements. I'd be willing to carpool with you Groove if it's on the 19th. Since that is the first weekend of my semester, I doubt I'll have much work to do.

I cannot make the following weekend, because I have a previous commitment in Williamsburg.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#16 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

If we're doing release forms and manditory eyewear, we can suspend the partial stefan-ban. The issue was more that during HvZ, many of our players have no eye protection, so if they were shot in the eye with a stefan, they'd need a trip to the ER as opposed to just having it bounce off eyewear.

Edited by umdlancer, 12 December 2007 - 01:23 PM.

#17 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

WHOA WHOA WHOA guys slow down. Stefans are FINE we will have release forms. lancer was confused because we usually have people without eye protection and we are endorsed by the college, and we don't want to give them a reason. Your guns will likely be fine as long as it isn't a Titan or LBB or similar. If it breaks the skin, it likely won't be allowed. If enough people with modded guns come, we will have even teams.

In addition this war is in JANUARY. the 20th is a SUNDAY OOPS!-oops forgot it was a new year.durrgh If you like, we could try for friday or sunday, the date is up in the air. I don't know that we can push it back, as classes start almost right after this for us. before then we can likely do it. I chose the 20th because groove recommended we do it after another war.

to wrap up: your guns are fine, stefans(if properly made) are fine, the thing is is January, NO darkon swords, they are way too rough, we don't have solid cores. darkon=concussion. crazy larpers. If you want a legit sword, without putting any time into it, KB toys has buzzbee(look on the hilt) swords, usually at the front of the store.

http://www.buzzbeeto...2006/01850.html

Also, we've got at least 7 people from our university showing up this far. I plan on making another thread closer to the actual war to sum everything up and get a better count of how many people are coming.

Edited by Squishy, 12 December 2007 - 04:10 PM.

Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#18 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

The 20th is NOT a Saturday, it's a Sunday. I cannot make any other day but that Saturday, and even then it's gonna be tough for me. Like I said though, I will do my best to make it there.

This seems to be a LOT different than Groove and I are used to. It will be interesting to say the least.
I hate you.

#19 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

The 20th is NOT a Saturday, it's a Sunday. I cannot make any other day but that Saturday, and even then it's gonna be tough for me. Like I said though, I will do my best to make it there.

This seems to be a LOT different than Groove and I are used to. It will be interesting to say the least.

oops forgot about that year change. silly me. I mean, I hope it will be interesting in a good way. We'll play a couple scenarios and see if you guys like them. Some of these games will last up to an hour and a half though, I warn ya. they get pretty intense.

How is the 19th, Saturday, for everyone? Also please mark your darts if possible. It makes it easier to get them back to their respective owners.

Edited by Squishy, 12 December 2007 - 04:25 PM.

Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#20 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

While I would love my hand indoors, I probably won't be able to make it, and that applies to any date in January. Hopefully I'll be able to make one later.
Tyranny Response Team

#21 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

I am tentative, but my chances increase if I can carpool with someone (Groove?).
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#22 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

No problem, Shinny. We can definitely carpool.

The 19th is perfectly fine by me, as is any weekend after that - I think Saturdays are preferable for most people here, although I'm just speaking from previous experience, not on everyone's behalf. Saturdays give those of us traveling a day before to prepare (Friday) and a day later to recover (Sunday), that's why I suggested it. I'm flexible as far as the date goes.

Keep us updated on when you finalize the date, location, estimated headcount, rules, etc.

-Groove

#23 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

19th is fine, but my attendance is pending my laziness and if I actually get around to putting some stuff together for the war.

#24 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:09 AM

preliminary attendance list at top, rules should be up this weekend, though there are so many for different games that I may just give ideas on how it works. Also, some of our rules are pretty malleable, we play pretty relaxed most of the time.
Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#25 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:03 AM

I'm a probable yes. I'll have to coordinate getting myself to a convenient enroute location so that I can carpool with Groove.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users