• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:22 AM

Razor Fin.
Posted Image

Internals:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The cool thing about this gun is how it functions. Razor Fin holds 2 darts. Cock the gun and squeeze the handle to fire one dart. Cock the gun again and it switches the barrel thats being fired to fire the second one. This modification was originally going to be an easy barrel replacement but it didn't work and I didn't feel I need to waste the patience to figure out why on this gun. It was at this point I decided to minimize it.

The bad thing about this gun is its hard to aim and pull the trigger because it has this garden hose sprayer feel. This is one of the main reasons people stay away from this gun. The other reason is the fact that its plunger tube is vertical which means there is upward recoil. Enough talk, down to business.

Now open up your Razor fin and take out the plunger tube assembly and everything else and minimize this sucker. Cut along the red line with a dremel.
Posted Image

Now cut out this section at the bottom of the handle. This will be making room for the new trigger.
Posted Image

The end result should look like this.
Posted Image

Now take your plunger tube and cut the hoses that originally connected to the barrels.
Posted Image

Now take your pipe cutters or hack saw and cut in the plunger tube right before the weird spiked round white piece.
Posted Image

Now wipe down and sand out the first little bit of the plunger tube. Now take 3.5"-4" of PVC and wrap some E-tape around the base of the pvc. Wrap enough so it will sit very snug inside the new plunger tube.
Then Bust out the plumbers goop and apply plumbers goop to the base of the PVC and jam it in the plunger tube. Let it sit dry for 24-48 hours. After the Goop dries take some Petg/brass and wrap E-tape around the ends and put some Goop on the E-tape and middle and slide it into the PVC. To help prevent a dart getting sucked into the plunger chamber I added a small piece of copper wire to the base of the petg and Glued it in place.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now lets move onto the actual plunger bit. Common mods are done here. Spring replacement, E-tape around plunger head, added lubricant.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The catch spring on the Razor Fin is actually pretty strong and does not necessarily need to be replaced.

Now for the part thats unique about this mod. The Trigger!
I knew this had to be changed so this is what I came up with. Do you remember when we cut that gap at the base of the handle? This is the space where the catch actually lifts up. What I did was cut down a sheet of plastic and then drill a wide hole through the plastic so it would sit perfectly on top of the catch. Super glue and plumbers goop holds it in place. Here are a few pictures.

Uncocked:
Posted Image

Cocked:
Posted Image

When you cock the gun the plastic plate/shell rises. When compressed the Razor Fin fires.
The gun is now held kind of like how you hold a spear before your throw it.

The finished product.
Posted Image

This thing could get a real nice paint job but I have so many bigger things on the go right now in the Nerf Workshop.

It gets a comfort rating of about 6/10 but it is still fun to use.
It makes for a nice little sidearm.
Ranges are probably around 50-55 feet. Ranges are guessed. It is Winter and I live in Canada remember!

Comments, Suggestions,

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 08 December 2007 - 11:38 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:00 AM

That's a pretty sweet gun, Angel. I have been wanting to pick one of these up for a while, but I couldn't find a good deal on eBay.

It's a shame that you couldn't save the 2-barrel set-up, cause that was one of the things that made this gun interesting to me. The biggest turn off was the hose-handle trigger set-up for me.

The way you have it set up now reminds me a whole lot of a Triple Torch. Do you plan on integrating that thing anywhere?

Great mod! Thanks for posting those internal photos--I always like to see guts of guns I've never worked with before.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#3 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:24 AM

It is Winter and I live in Canada remember!

Fuckin' right bro. Props to you.

Nice mod. It looks so much smaller now. Is it comfortable to fire, or more something like a secondary weapon?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:17 AM

I like the mod, I just wish you could have saved the double barrel setup.

It's a good thing hat you got rid of the squeeze trigger, though.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 nerfalchemist

nerfalchemist

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:55 AM

Is it hard to aim?

It's like saying that your bottled water has a secret ingredient! Well yes, water!

#6 angrscottishkid

angrscottishkid

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

Are you posting a video for it? I can't see your pics.
In the words of colonel Sanders, I'm to drunk to chase this chicken.

#7 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

The way you have it set up now reminds me a whole lot of a Triple Torch. Do you plan on integrating that thing anywhere?

I do not plan on integrating this anywhere. It currently sits in my mind as a back up side arm for someone else to use at the next war I host. Do I create back up sidearms for people to lazy to make their own? Fuck no. I created this to do something new and exciting. Personally, I hate modifying Nerf guns for people who know how to modify Nerf guns.

Is it hard to aim?

Not really. You hold it like a spear and line up the barrel with your target. Again its not supposed to be uber accurate, its designed as an "Oh shit it takes to long to cock my primary and he is coming right for us!" kind of deal.

Are you posting a video for it? I can't see your pics.

I may post a super short video. In the meantime, Fix your computer/browser.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 08 December 2007 - 11:47 AM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#8 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:51 AM

Your first three pictures are broken for me, I don't think it's my browser. They show up as links to Imageshack. Nice mod, by the way. I love your trigger system, I thought it was a pull-and-release at first.

Edited by yourface, 08 December 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#9 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:27 PM

Oh crap, everybody is posting more write-ups all of a sudden. I wish I could be included in the
'Everybody', but I don't have money that I can spend on Nerf guns right now, so you guys will have to wait 'till after Christmas.

On a more relevant note, great mod as usual. Is that replacement spring in the 10th picture a SSII spring?

Edit: The pictures work for me. I think it's just your browser, yourface.

Edited by penguin807, 08 December 2007 - 12:30 PM.

#10 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:41 PM

Awesome mod, but is it small enough to fit in your pocket like a SSPB?
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#11 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

Awesome mod, man! I live in Canada, and it's Winter here too!
kthxbaisend

#12 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

Can you sacrifice the 4th screw to make it even more smaller? And who makes the Razor Fin?
It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#13 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

Good job. It now looks like a spring powered version of the SSPB.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#14 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:19 PM

The Razor Fin is made by NERF. It came out in the mid-1990s under the Max Force: 2112 line.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#15 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

1: Weird mod to a gun that doesn't have a write up yet. 95% complete.
2: Crazy super pistol of doom that doesn't have an official name yet. 60% complete.
3: The next Massive project that is eating away at most of my time. 40% complete.
4: Cool pistol mod with a unique write up. 5% complete.

1: CHECK
2, 3, 4: Can't wait to see this next stuff.

#16 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

On a more relevant note, great mod as usual. Is that replacement spring in the 10th picture a SSII spring?

No, it is an industrial spring.

is it small enough to fit in your pocket like a SSPB?

No. It is not that small. It is probably 2 times the size of a sspb. It would comfortably fit in cargo pants.

Can you sacrifice the 4th screw to make it even more smaller?

I like having a screw at every corner.

1: Weird mod to a gun that doesn't have a write up yet. 95% complete.
2: Crazy super pistol of doom that doesn't have an official name yet. 60% complete.
3: The next Massive project that is eating away at most of my time. 40% complete.
4: Cool pistol mod with a unique write up. 5% complete.

1: CHECK
2, 3, 4: Can't wait to see this next stuff.

Good to know people are paying attention. As far as an update goes,

1: Super pistol 70%
2: The next massive project 50%
4 Cool pistol mod with unique write up 5%

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 08 December 2007 - 05:57 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#17 Scotch

Scotch

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

Do you know how much it costs or where I could get one. Just because it kind of looks cool stock.
Also if you really want to know the ranges you could shoot it against a wall and get the speed and the time and then calculate the distance, but I'm probably just a noob for saying that.
Cool mod by the way.
-Scotch
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Woah, woah, slow down there buddy. If you put it ALL in your mouth at once you're just gonna gag and get it all over the carpet.

#18 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

1: Super pistol 70%
2: The next massive project 50%
4 Cool pistol mod with unique write up 5%

I guess that "massive project" is giving you a hard time, huh? Or, perhaps, you decided to add something extra to the mod. In either case, good luck.

I'm most interested in the "unique writeup," though. My bets are on a full-motion instructional video...like a cooking show:

"Cover the end of the plunger chamber in epoxy and stick your barrel on...Then, let dry overnight."

Angel sets pistol aside and pulls another one (that has already been rebarreled) out from the oven under the workbench

"Fortunately, I thought ahead and pre-epoxied."

Golf clap sound effect

But, in all seriousness: good job, Angel. I look forward to the next one.

Edited by jwasko, 08 December 2007 - 09:49 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users