What Do Other People Think Of Nerf?

What do they say?

50 replies to this topic

#26 aguineapig

aguineapig

• Banned
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

I remember I was talking to one of my old airsoft buddies, I told him I liked to mod nerf guns, he's like "those are for 10 year olds who cant take pain.." and Then I wasted him with a shotty titan, the darts left a nice triangle of welts. No one has said anything else since.
fun-petitive!

Her brother literally almost pissed herself.

DO NOT CLICK!!

#27 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

From strangers I mostly get two reactions:

1. They don't understand at all.
or
2. They thinks its awesome and ask when the next war is.
"Yet another nominee for the douche bag of the year award." -FA24

"Who the hell died and made everyone the Nerf prophet?" -Piney

#28 nerfalchemist

nerfalchemist

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

My mom had this weird freak out thing when I started to mod my nerf guns. She had dreams about me injuring my dad and brother with my nerf guns. Ya it was weird but She got over it and now she’s cool about it.

It's like saying that your bottled water has a secret ingredient! Well yes, water!

#29 Wisey

Wisey

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

My parents don't mind me nerfing, They just think I have TOO MANY nerf guns. I have like 15. I am trying to convince them to let me buy more

I'm in the same boat. Not just with my perants, but some of my friends too and my girlfriend, which kinda sucks. My Mum dosn't mind it, but thinks it's a waste of money, and my Dad thinks it's a fun idea and thought my PowerClip was awesome.

Quite a few of my friends enjoy Nerf wars, but I've only got one friend (who's currently trying to get his account validated...) that mods guns like I do. Also, only 2 or 3 of my friends pay for guns, they just expect to use them... Although they said they'd pay for darts.

I only Nerf with my friends in mainly my garden (I have a pretty big garden) and some of my friends gardens, but as far I as know there isn't anyone else in the UK that Nerf's... well, not that I've seen anyway. Over here the only common guns are Mav's and NF's. So there isn't any wars that people go to...

#30 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

My parents think kind of neutral about it, they are not aginst it, but they don't like[font=Impact][size=4] it. I mean, I have terrets, and a hot glue fumes are a trigger for me, so they dont like me working with chemicals. And yes, make fun of my terrets. And by the way, it isnt like I randomly shout out curse words like everyone thinks terrets is. B) I always used to get made fun of at school, so now I am homeschooled. Everyones happy! :P Sorry for the life story guys.

Yahh, I hate that common misconception about turrets. I've got it, and it just triggers tics and shit. But hotglue and fumes don't do anything for me, expect epoxy. Epoxy kills me. And that's given me the, "I don't give a damn what anyone thinks" attitude. But I live in a neighborhood where only airsoft and paintball are cool forms of shooting, so I've grown partial to being the only kid in my city who Nerfs. It's pretty bitchin', except for the fact that I don't have anyone to Nerf with. My families cool with it, except the darts, they hate picking them up. And my cousins are very close to me, and one of my older cousins + my younger cousin think that Nerf is awesome, I've modded a couple guns for them each.

#31 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

The fifteen year old who obsessivly plays with toy guns, and frequntly discusses them with 30 year old men on the internet.

Or, as in my case, the thirty year old man who obsessively plays with toy guns and frequently discusses them with fifteen year olds on the internet.

Funny this topic came up, as I was just talking to my parents about Nerfing. They knew that I've traveled for a war before, and just chuckled about me "still being a kid". But they hadn't seen any of my building projects, so I showed them a few over thanksgiving. They were impressed, and asked when I'm getting my engineering degree (at which I laughed).

All my friends think it's pretty cool, but then, all my friends are geeks. My daughter thinks it's awesome, and likes working on projects with me when she can. I'm hoping that lasts.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#32 dadude778

dadude778

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

Yeah I am pretty much the same. My parents are OK with it but could care less. Most of my friends love that I nerf and come over to nerf as much as possible. The younger kids on my street want me to mod their guns but my father will not allow me because he thinks we will be "sued". One time the word at school got out that I nerfed and I just showed them a link to my sprinkler valve air rifle and they shut up. The only thing that parents don't like is the money and time I devote to it. They think that its a waste of time to sit in the basement and make stefens or mod. But once I told them how cheap stefens were to make and the improvements I made to a gun they didn't bother me anymore.

P.S. In school don't say nerf GUN say nerrf BLASTER( bad experience) B)

Edited by dadude778, 07 December 2007 - 07:26 PM.

Make sure the top of your gun is parallel to the ground when firing.
Finish those other mods so I have something else to read on here.
Now have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up. :)

- Forsaken_angel24

#33 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

My previous friends and I were kinda in a love hate relationship (In this case I loathed them with a burning passion of immeasurable hatred, and they thought I was a pretty okay guy), so we never really got around to talking about Nerf (mainly because I didn't want them to show up to wars with me). Other than that, all my cool friends and my relatives are suckers for anything that shoots, none the less more than 100 feet, so they like it, but not enough to get off their lazy butts and buy their own stuff.

#34 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

My parents think its cool and so do my friends because I'm super mechanically inclined. Along with music. I have the wierdest talents.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#35 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

My parents are for it. My dad thinks it's great that I found a hobby that I can excersize my creativity with, and common, they shoot stuff! What's not to like?

My friends at school don't really dis it, but then again I haven't brought it up too much, mostly because noone would care, or they would think it's completely moronic and by the next day my locker would be filled with half-rotten potatoes (or something along those lines). I do have two friends that mod guns, so that's pretty cool. I also have a few other people who nerf but don't modify guns.

And what's with all these examples of conflicts that were "settled" with shooting someone with some powerful gun in the head/chest/bodily area? I mean what are you trying to prove? That you have a smaller dick than everyone else and/or missing other apendages? God damn...

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#36 C-A 99

C-A 99

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

Most of the people I know are usually ok or good with it when I've explained some things about it and/or when they've played it. Then, there are the hardcore airsoft/paintball players who slightly look down on it. Still, for the most part, no one (who I talked to about it) says anything stupid about it.

#37 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

And what's with all these examples of conflicts that were "settled" with shooting someone with some powerful gun in the head/chest/bodily area? I mean what are you trying to prove? That you have a smaller dick than everyone else and/or missing other apendages? God damn...

-OfAll'

Well when I shot the crack head in the chest it was because he would ruin my reputation in our school, and I didnt really like him. But if I let him walk he would spread that I play with toy and think he can beat the shit out of me, or I could have shot him with a powerfull gun and more people in the school would make fun of him because he cried.

So I would go for option two, also because he had a pipe in his hand. No joke.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#38 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

Well, my dogs don't really like it. I devote too much time to modding instead of petting them, and of course when I'm away at wars I can't be petting them either. They hate the chance of getting hit on a ricochet, so usually don't adhere to me carrying them around too much.

Also, they eat the darts. I have yet to determine if this is their way of spiting the sport, or their way of displaying enthusiasm. I think I will never know, but, in the mean time, there is always hope and prayer.

- - -

Seriously though... most of my friends enjoy Nerfing and try and make wars; I only have one who mods or even owns guns, that's Elf. My two sisters don't Nerf but are pretty enthusiastic and encouraging. My dad has actually been to a war before and will help me mod; though whether that's because he likes it or is trying to be a good dad I have yet to determine (it doesn't really matter, I guess). My mom is indifferent.

Of course at school I get laughed at by all the paint ballers, but then we have that nice discussion about modifying which usually ends in a quite amicable awkward silence. : o)
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#39 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:45 PM

Well, my dogs don't really like it. I devote too much time to modding instead of petting them, and of course when I'm away at wars I can't be petting them either. They hate the chance of getting hit on a ricochet, so usually don't adhere to me carrying them around too much.

Also, they eat the darts. I have yet to determine if this is their way of spiting the sport, or their way of displaying enthusiasm. I think I will never know, but, in the mean time, there is always hope and prayer.

- - -

Seriously though... most of my friends enjoy Nerfing and try and make wars; I only have one who mods or even owns guns, that's Elf. My two sisters don't Nerf but are pretty enthusiastic and encouraging. My dad has actually been to a war before and will help me mod; though whether that's because he likes it or is trying to be a good dad I have yet to determine (it doesn't really matter, I guess). My mom is indifferent.

Of course at school I get laughed at by all the paint ballers, but then we have that nice discussion about modifying which usually ends in a quite amicable awkward silence. : o)

Yeah. those paintballers are dicks. I get shit from them to but then they start having conversations about turning real guns into paintball guns and they talk about how easy it would be. Poor suckers, while I am making real working nerf replecas of real guns, they specualte aout wats to make thier Paintballing personas cooler and in the end, come out lookig stupid. I feal your pain but they feel thier own stupidity.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#40 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:11 PM

I started buying nerf guns because of our school's Humans versus Zombies game last year, although I had previously owned a warthog and participated in large house battles in high school.

Now, many of my friends are really interested in nerfing because of me talking about it so much. My girlfriend wants more nerf guns (I bought her a maverick last year for christmas) and many of my friends get me nerf related gifts/want to nerf with me. I think that HVZ has made nerf very accessible here at OU and it is widely accepted at school as a cool thing to do.

Now that I am home for break, my 10 year old sister loves playing with the guns and my parents just wonder why I order plastic tubing on the internet. (PETG came in today...yahoo!)
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#41 angrscottishkid

angrscottishkid

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

Dayko- I don't really care what they think of me, it just makes things easier in highschool.

Not all paintballers are dicks, woodsball players seem to be more open to nerf then the speedball fags in my experiences. Speedballers are way to full of themselves, considering their sport involves no skill apart from fast fingers.
In the words of colonel Sanders, I'm to drunk to chase this chicken.

#42 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

Yah, because i nerf, my parents and siblings think that i am completely retarded. When i get a new gun, my mom just flips out like it's real or something. She's all like, "Go to your room with that thing!!!" mainly because i shot our stove with an old tek ten because i was bored. The dart burst up in flames.
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#43 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

Speedballers hate Nerf because of its slower ROF. Come to think of it, speed-balling kinda sounds a little gay.......

I got some Airsoft friends that can enjoy Nerf. Mostly, the ones like me who's guns shoot between 175 and 280 FPS a less dicky about it.

JJ9: Girlfriend likeing Nerf huh?How long are the barrels on those things......

S1per: Lol, just, lol. That's the only way i can describe that.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#44 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

The fifteen year old who obsessivly plays with toy guns, and frequntly discusses them with 30 year old men on the internet.

Or, as in my case, the thirty year old man who obsessively plays with toy guns and frequently discusses them with fifteen year olds on the internet.

All my friends think it's pretty cool, but then, all my friends are geeks. My daughter thinks it's awesome, and likes working on projects with me when she can. I'm hoping that lasts.

Ha, Carbon. Or even us older, parent-types. :P

i think it's excellent that my kids Nerf. Well, that's because their Dad fixes up their blasters!

We're geeks, people. Deal with that.

But go and work out, pump some iron, get some tips from Forsaken_Angel24. That way you can be a geek with some muscles. Give someone a knee to the abdomen, pound a few detractors. Forget shooting them with your blasters. Show them some hand to hand COMBAT moves.

Just don't mention Nerfhaven when the cops arrest you for assaulting a paintballer or airsofter. You don't know me, or never met me.

Come to think about it, NO ONE has EVER talked smack to me about our Nerf blasters, especially the modified ones. They all were saying, "COOL, if I buy one will you fix it up for me?" That made me busy.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#45 BJ Williams

BJ Williams

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

My parents think kind of neutral about it, they are not aginst it, but they don't like[font=Impact][size=4] it. I mean, I have terrets, and a hot glue fumes are a trigger for me, so they dont like me working with chemicals. And yes, make fun of my terrets. And by the way, it isnt like I randomly shout out curse words like everyone thinks terrets is. :P I always used to get made fun of at school, so now I am homeschooled. Everyones happy! ;) Sorry for the life story guys.

Yahh, I hate that common misconception about turrets. I've got it, and it just triggers tics and shit. But hotglue and fumes don't do anything for me, expect epoxy. Epoxy kills me. And that's given me the, "I don't give a damn what anyone thinks" attitude. But I live in a neighborhood where only airsoft and paintball are cool forms of shooting, so I've grown partial to being the only kid in my city who Nerfs. It's pretty bitchin', except for the fact that I don't have anyone to Nerf with. My families cool with it, except the darts, they hate picking them up. And my cousins are very close to me, and one of my older cousins + my younger cousin think that Nerf is awesome, I've modded a couple guns for them each.

I actually have people ask me when I have a nerf blaster in my pocket why I have it and I just say "I was having a nerf kind of day". I was walking through one of tha academic buildings one night and one of the girls on the cleaning staff freaked out so I had to explain to her that it was a nerf gun and it was safe. I had my NF in the dining hall a couple days ago and my friends were blasting each other with it. It was so funny. Im gonna see if I can work out having a big ol cross campus nerf battle near the end of school

Edited by BJ Williams, 09 December 2007 - 08:07 PM.

#46 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

A lot of my friends know about my nerf addiction in fact i got a few of them in, including my EEL TEAM
However my Mother doesn't like guns at all (have you seen what it has done to my streets) she gets really pissed when she finds my blasters on the floor and crap. My dad is a little worried that i might pick off my brother with my singled Tight-Own ( I really want too sometimes) I got a girlfriend she thinks its a little pricey at times but other than that she likes it.

All the guys at my school think what we do to our nerf guns is crazy!
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#47 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:08 AM

Don't worry Piney, it isn't that creepy. Actually, i mentioned it at an airsoft war, and now some of the guys either want to learn to mod/ want me to mod their guns. Its kinda coo, convincing them to try it out.

Will:I had something similar, but it was a longshot.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#48 Recruit

Recruit

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

My Dad thinks it is funning and my Mom think everyone here is a nerd.
Falcon about himself.
... Ask Bags...he'll tell you without hesitation that I'm an idiot, but I certainly think about it before I do something stupid.

"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."

-Piney-

#49 primesquared84

primesquared84

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

the general opion of people about my nerf hobby is that it's stupid/ silly which inculdes the girlfriend, yet she still buys my a occasional nerf gun which is nice. used to have a neighbor and his friends i'd nerf with, that ended when he tried to brake into my place
in the immortal words of the Tick"SPOOOOOOOON!!!!"

#50 elmjack

elmjack

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

I've found that there is a LOT of people who Nerf at least some, but don't really talk about it.

My family is incredibly supportive... last Christmas I took out every gun I or my brothers own and had my entire extended family in a massive 8-on-8 war with all three levels of my house. Of course none of them knew what they were doing.

At one point they actually told me I couldn't use my modded nf at all, because I was picking so many of them off.

But it was still fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users