Are You Kidding Me?

Crossbow

38 replies to this topic

#26 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

You combined the Vulcan with the Recon. Two different guns, the Recon is the Clip Fed. And I probably would buy one, mod it, and not use it. Just wait untill it died out again.

#27 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

The re-release of a crossbow would initially flood the market with them, but it wouldn't fundamentally change the game long term. A team full of crossbows can still get diddled by one guy with an RF20. At it's heart, it's a single shot springer, kind of a giant Nite-Finder. We might see some interesting integrations, but it's still the nerfer that makes the game, not the gun.

The crossbow is overrated.

There, I said it. Most nerfers crave it because it is very comfortable to use, has great modding potential, and is very accurate. But it is simply outperformed, range wise, by many guns. There is great modding potential in other guns, and more room for integrations. The comfort level is the only thing that sets it apart. Personally, my long arms like the Longshot just as much.

It's the Porche of the nerf war. Expensive, rare, fancy, but more of a status symbol than anything.

I love Sara (my crossbow), but she's outperformed by my ERTL Rapid Fire Shotgun, which is why I'm making a few changes to her. Once I get the damn trigger figured out I'm going to integrate a Big Salvo into her. That ought to make her pretty awesome I think.

Back to the comment "wars would never be the same with a re-released crossbow" yes they would. Everyone has a different approach to the game and a different style of play. The crossbow doesn't fit all styles of play. It's a rapier rather than an axe. It favors precision, and rewards people who take the time to properly line up their shots. But I would never use it in a close-quarters situation. Some people thrive on that, and would go for either a shotgun-like blaster or an automatic.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#28 Zaxbys

Zaxbys

Groove's Protégé

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

Blasphemy!

But on a serious note Cmdrmack makes a good point. My Zaxbow (my xbow) is an extremely comfortable gun to hold, and fire. There are guns that out perform it though, so if it was re-released then it wouldn't be the end of nerf as we know it. People would just have to improve themsevles rather than their arsenals.

~Zaxbys

Edited by Zaxbys, 28 November 2007 - 07:57 PM.

"Bitces be crazy"

"Hey girl... you like water sports?"

~Groove 6/26/09

#29 The Metal Bullet

The Metal Bullet

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

Its Not getting released... Plain and simple end of discussion.
Help With donating for the Wildfire's that are spreading... Join me and thousands of others at...CA Wildfire Red Cross

EARN EASY MONEY... 100's a month.

#30 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:49 PM

This discussion was never intended to be about the re-release. And would a Buzz Bee Big Blast outperform a Crossbow? Are there any guns on the market besides the Maxshot that could match it?

#31 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

Blasphemy!

But on a serious note Cmdrmack makes a good point. My Zaxbow (my xbow) is an extremely comfortable gun to hold, and fire. There are guns that out perform it though, so if it was re-released then it wouldn't be the end of nerf as we know it. People would just have to improve themsevles rather than their arsenals.

~Zaxbys

That keeps happening to me on the other site I frequent on which I have the same username <_<. What is it with this notion that Crossbows can only be owned by veteran nerfers, any noob with enough money, patience, and diligence could easily acquire one on the online marketplace.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#32 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

You combined the Vulcan with the Recon. Two different guns, the Recon is the Clip Fed. And I probably would buy one, mod it, and not use it. Just wait untill it died out again.

No I wasn't talking about the Recon. There was this other gun Hasbro annouance (sorry) during the year overview or something.

EDIT

Sorry its Vulcan like Thomas said. I saw it here.

mentioned the new "Vulcan," which is their "biggest, baddest nerf blaster ever" (speculate away, because that's all the info they gave).

You think its the Crossbow. <_<
Kidding I know it isnt. Hell but what could it be true hype or something ripe.

Edited by CAPS, 28 November 2007 - 10:07 PM.

It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#33 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:41 AM

This discussion was never intended to be about the re-release. And would a Buzz Bee Big Blast outperform a Crossbow? Are there any guns on the market besides the Maxshot that could match it?

As far as pure range/accuracy goes the Big Blast, Pump Shotgun, and Maxshot all at least match it in terms of performance.
As it has been said before, where the X-Bow wins is in comfort and coolness factor

#34 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

...Crossbows are equaled or outperformed as far as range and accuracy go. They're a status symbol as much as anything these days. The shell itself is one of the most natural and comfortable nerf blasters to date, the reason crossbows excel, as far as I'm concerned, is that the people who modify them take the time and effort to do it right...

I would subscribe to that notion on the range and accuracy. Range is practically nothing without accuracy. However, in my experiences for every blaster I've come across that shoots slightly farther than my current setup, there's at least 4 or 5 that are that are easily outperformed. From a person who's used a Crossbow consistently for the better part of 5 years I can honestly say that I'd take my Crossbow over any comparable alternative any day of the week, for a couple simple reasons:

--It's comfortable (big concern on my part)
--Has few moving parts (simple to operate and maintain)
--Is pretty damned accurate (most important factor for me).

Every gun has its own advantages and disadvantages, but those can be pronounced or subdued depending on your personal playstyle. That's how people can make up for any possible short-comings with the performance in a setup, any regulars at DCNO can vouch for that. I won't even begin to talk about ECNO earlier this year. The point I'm getting at is, the Crossbow might not fit everyone's specific attitude towards actual gameplay, and sure it's definitely old - but that doesn't disqualify the notion that it still has the capability to be an amazing primary if tweaked properly. Still solid? Yes. Worth $300? Well...how badly do you want it?

For all you people bashing the overall performance and/or the effectiveness of a Crossbow, take this into consideration:

...A NIB Crossbow isn't admired for it's looks, and certainly not for its performance, but rather for its potential.

Yep. You only get out of it what you put into it. I can personally speak about this at great lengths. Arguing over a gun's value is something I find pretty absurd. Some people go on and on about how Crossbows are exclusively nostalgic pieces or "status" symbols given the nature of Nerf these days, but I beg to differ.

-Groove

P.S. - Hierarchy, you're retarded. Stop posting.

P.P.S - If someone asks about or even mentions the idea of the Crossbow being re-released, I swear to God I just might punch a baby bunny rabbit in the face.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#35 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

Arguing over a gun's value is something I find pretty absurd. Some people go on and on about how Crossbows are exclusively nostalgic pieces or "status" symbols given the nature of Nerf these days, but I beg to differ.

-Groove

Agreed.

I took a couple of months away from the workbench and the forums to look at things from a broader perspective, and I must say that a lot of things here that are much ado about nothing, really.

The main reason why I bash, talk trash, and basically poop on Crossbows is that I don't own one, probably will never own one, and even if I did, I don't have the initiative nor the loose change to purchase one online (probably no Crossbows in Hawaii). Those who know me know that I'm extremely partial to air-powered blasters, so my springer X-bow bashing is mostly in jest and in good fun. I even made my SNAP purple with lime trim to poke fun at it...remember? <_<
Posted Image

The only thing I like about Crossbows is that they're purple.

And for the record, yes, I love air-powered blasters. Yet, one of my favorite (and desired) blasters is spring powered and can be modified to shoot 60 -70 feet all day long without breakage. And it ISN'T a NiteFinder.

For those who know about Captain CC, he's a character. He's done some pretty outrageous things in the past, and you take what he put on Amazon with grains of salt. WE know that 300 is a pretty ridiculous price to pay for a crossbow, but heck, if someone is desperate/ dumb enough to shell out that kind of dough for his relatively unscrupulous practices in retail sales, then so goes the way of the open market.

Remember too, that some members here sell overpriced NiteFinders, Mavericks, and Longshot rifles by slapping paint, doing a couple of mods (which they claim are "SECRET!!"), and over-hyping them on eBay, to the mesmerism of green and unsuspecting Nerfers. Oooh, Aaah!

It sounds cliche, and is subject to further debate of course, but I truly subscribe to the notion that it's the Nerfer that makes the Nerfer, not the gun/blaster that makes him/ her. Caveat emptor.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#36 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

diddled by one guy with an RF20.

So thats why he made the barrels so long.......

Ontopic: part of the badassness of the Xbow is the intergrations. So, it has the possiblity to be a short and long range weapon of destruction.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#37 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

http://www.amazon.co...96374024&sr=8-1

He lowered the price by $100. Still $200 is a bit much
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#38 saxynerfer

saxynerfer

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:46 PM

I really like the looks of that psuedo-bow Pineapple.

I was lucky enough to find a crossbow from a friend who did'nt nerf. It was broken, so I got it for $3. I fixed the plunger rod, and will soon post the write-up.

But what I realize is, if I put the same mods on a BBB you could get the same ranges, accuracy, and probably a better ROF from this mod.

I just usually bang mine against some sort of ananimaite object untill it eventually breaks off.

#39 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:03 AM

I really cannot begin to understand the people that have posted in opposition to the rerelease of the crossbow. I mean, it's never gonna happen, and for none of the reasons posted here. It's simply not feasible, financially, for nerf to rerelease a blaster that caused them so much legal trouble, when a product with a laser sight and very little damaging potential (i.e. the nightfinder) outsells it by such a large margin.

That said, if they were to rerelease them I can see no ill effects for our community. Crossbows may be out distanced by many modern blasters, but to say that they are outperformed is proof of the lack of acutal war experience in our user base. The Crossbow is peerless as the workhorse of the nerf catalogue. Binky is over a decade old and has NEVER broken. I dare you to find a blaster that's been through more wars, and miscalculated modifications than Binky. You can't, and yet she continues to give me an edge at every war I attend. So many people modify a gun, test it's range, and declare it's value. How about putting that thing through its paces? How about dropping it a few time; playing with it in the rain, the snow, the mud. How about actually having mechanical issues and opening it up in the middle of a war for repairs. I dare you to find the Crossbow's equal by these measures. You won't. It's simplicity and capacity for personalization make it the practical nerfers (see: experienced nerfers) weapon of choice more often than not.

That's not to say that it's for everyone, but I certainly think everyone should have the oportunity to try one.

VACC
~Don't bother~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users