#1 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

Renegade’s Advanced Disk Shot Mod

Here it is, the Nerf Disk Shot.

Posted Image

The goal of this mod is to achieve more range using stefans by removing the air restrictors and replacing the stock barrel with one made of PETG.

Parts Needed

PETG a little over 4 ¼ inches

Hot glue w/glue gun

E-Tape

Dremel or hobby knife

Let me start off by saying use whatever barrel material fits your darts. But for this specific mod, you would need either PETG or Brass.

Step 1 Remove all of the screws and take apart the gun. The bottom of the handle is glued on, so take a hobby knife and pry it off after taking out all of the screws.

Posted Image

The internals are very similar to that of a Nitefinder.

Step 2 Unscrew the two screws securing the plunger assembly. Take out that piece. Next disassemble the barrel as shown.

Posted Image

Step 3 Discard the small spring and three pronged orange piece. Take the orange piece with the long plastic stick and drill/cut it out.

Posted Image

The main restrictor is glued onto the plunger tube, unlike in a Nitefinder where it can come out. Cut the three orange plastic pieces holding it in place and sand it clean afterwards.

Posted Image
Step 4 Take the two pieces pictured below and sand the inside of them until the PETG will fit inside it.

Posted Image

Step 5 Put the end of the PETG where it is in the picture below. Superglue, then hot glue it to make it stay and be airtight.

Posted Image

Next superglue the front orange barrel piece in place.

Posted Image

Step 6 The last thing I did was superglue and hot glue the entire barrel assembly onto the plunger tube. Then I wrapped it in some E-tape for added support. Screw it all back into the gun.

Posted Image

Finally, screw the whole gun back together.

Posted Image

Rough Ranges

Stefans: 60ish feet (lightly banded)

#2 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

Nice. If this can get 60 with a new barrel and light banding, a spring should make it even better.

My only addition is to make sure that all the superglue is dry before hot gluing, as otherwise the fumes will be strong enough to make your eyes water.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#3 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

Cool. I have mine with PETG nested over 17/32 brass and it gets 60ish feet flat. I also have 2 o-rings and an original NF spring in there. Good job with this one!
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#4 JurassicPark

JurassicPark

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:56 PM

I CPVC'd mine. Very similar to how to this mod. I replaced the spring with a NF and a crossfire springs. I can reach ranges of 70 feet with CDTS. Now CDTS have a perfect fit in my CPVC, so that will give better results.

On Topic:

As usual perfect job. Looks very nice.
"Why can't we see shit? Thats not a good sign."

-My Dad

#5 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Looks good! I've always thought CPVC was better for springers, as the friction lets pressure build.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, what you are calling the 'main air restrictor' is actually the plunger stop...it doesn't restrict airflow. What is the plunger slamming against now, the stub of your barrel?

I am a little curious, though...what makes this an advanced mod? It's not even a spring replacement... :huh:
Frylock is telekinetic, right?

#6 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:03 PM

Excellent Mod Ren... But this once again continues to confirm my belief that this is just a repackaged Old Edition NF... Which is a good thing.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#7 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

Now just ship it over to Direct Threat and pay him to paint it for you :huh:
The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#8 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

1.Looks good! I've always thought CPVC was better for springers, as the friction lets pressure build.

2.Also, unless I'm mistaken, what you are calling the 'main air restrictor' is actually the plunger stop...it doesn't restrict airflow. What is the plunger slamming against now, the stub of your barrel?

3.I am a little curious, though...what makes this an advanced mod? It's not even a spring replacement... :huh:

1. This PETG has a tight fit on my FBR, so PETG was a better choice for me.

2. I would think that it's an air restrictor since it is a large plastic piece over where the air comes out. The plunger still hits the piece, just the sides of it. My friends and I have done this to our nf's for years now and have had no problems.

3. I would think that this mod is more advanced than my basic write-up. Since it involves replacing the stock barrel. I rarely replace springs for mod write-ups as it completely changes the range of a gun and is hard for people to find the exact same spring as the one used.

#9 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

Instead of cutting the center out of that piece I tend to just drill four holes with a 1/8" bit. Provides plenty of air flow without allowing the dart to get inside the plunger chamber.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#10 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:23 PM

Excellent Mod Ren... But this once again continues to confirm my belief that this is just a repackaged Old Edition NF... Which is a good thing.

Sorry, not exactly sure what you mean by repackaged old edition NF. Does it have the same spring, etc. as the old edition?

Also Renegade, nice mod, very clean.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#11 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:27 PM

I bought something from a Dollar General that's called a Splatter Shield. It's basically very good wire netting with some extra metal junk and a handle that turns it into something that you can hold over a sizzling pan. I completely removed the orange piece that Captain Slug was talking about in a Nite Finder once by accident, and the plunger seal was so good that it would suction my darts into the plunger even with CPVC, so to remedy this, I bought that wire netting. I placed the netting over the CPVC's coupler, rammed the barrel in so that there would be an indent in the netting, cut it out with a dremel and then super glued it at the end of the coupler closest to the plunger. Now I get absolutely no airflow restriction and my darts are stopped by the netting.

Just thought I'd put that there.

Edited by Yazzeh, 18 August 2007 - 06:29 PM.

#12 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

Since the plunger head is stock, I don't have to worry about darts getting sucked down. I just blow the dart down the barrel before cocking the gun.

#13 Grenada

Grenada

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

I think Ren, that it would be a bit easier(I think) to put the dart in, cock it, and then blow it down. The Plunger may generate just enough suction to pull the dart in a bit, which makes blowing go faster.
Anyway, great mod.
If you Nerf in western washington, PM me

So you see a penguin walking down the street. Looks harmless right, so you keep on walking past him. You turn around to seem him walk away, only to find yourself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver.

#14 Steveep

Steveep

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:03 PM

Nice mod! Very similar to what I did with mine, except I used CPVC. Also, Nerf put in that great wall above the ammo holder so you can remove the ammo holder without having to plug any ugly gaps, like this:
Posted Image
(Paintjob's not quite finished!)

Edited by Steveep, 19 August 2007 - 05:03 PM.

I used to like nerf.
Then I got a Girlfriend.

Now I LOVE Nerf!

#15 baseballnolan5

baseballnolan5

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

Nice job.

You probabally already know this but they are selling the full set with the launcher and everything at target now.
QUOTE View Post

About how much are you holding in the pictures on the spools?

A shit ton.

QUOTE(Langley @ Aug 6 2007, 05:41 PM) View Post

The shot hit Andy squarely in the forehead. He was, in fact, on my team.

#16 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:40 PM

Isn't it like $50 or was there a price change? Not worth it IMO. There is a refill kit with the same gun and 6 disks for $15. Walgreens or walmart, can't remember. Why do they have to sound so similar...

#17 kanaki0401

kanaki0401

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:50 PM

If you combine a Maverick spring with the Disk Shot, would it increase range?

#18 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Don't revive threads.

To answer your question, yes. Although, it would help to have a spring from a TTG or something similar. The closer the spring's length to the NF's, the better.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#19 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

I hate to post in a thread that has recently been brought back from the dead, however, if you intend to make a dual spring system with the Maverick spring and disk Shot spring it can't happen unless you somehow widen the ID of the Disk Shot spring. The best thing to do is add a Firefly spring in there it has the same ID/OD and length but more coils, or you could add a cut down Handyman #9713 spring.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users