Foil

And How to Make Your Own.

11 replies to this topic

#1 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

A couple months ago, AssasinNF posted a thread about a new kind of crossbow, the JustToys Crossbow. He claimed to have gotten 100 foot ranges with it, so I decided I needed to try it myself. But, even with extra banding and a variety of different banding, I couldn't get it past 80 feet. It is still great though, here is how I turreted mine.
Here it is with the stock "bow" attachments cut off. No need for them.
Posted Image
One thing i found interesting was the size of the plunger tube, here it is un-cocked.
Posted Image
And cocked.
Posted Image
Quite the difference, eh?
Anyways, you want to start off by cutting a centimeter off of the tip of the barrel, like this.
Posted Image
This takes off those pesky air restrictors.
Now you want to open the gun up, so we can band it.
For the bands, I took three standard size rubber bands and tied them like so.
Make about four of these.
Posted Image
Once you have all four, take them and put one end around the back of the plunger, like this. Ignore that thing in the barrel.
Posted Image
Thread the bands up to the front of the gun, and out of the holes you made by cutting the stock "bow" crap off.
Posted Image
Now get a 2k turret and cut it down.
Posted Image
DO NOT POST!

As for barrels, I can't tell what you use, but I can tell you that they need to be very tight at the back becuase of the gun's slow plunger stroke and about 8 to 10 inches long.
Now get a piece of tubing that has roghly the same OD as the ID of the hole coming out of the back of the turret, ans it should be about one inch long.
Posted Image
Now glue that into the back of your turret.
Posted Image
Get a piece of 1 1\2 inch electrical condiut (grey PVC) about 2 inches long.
Posted Image
Cut that down the sides, like this.
Posted Image
Now get your turret again, and wrap just enough tape aroung the end of the protruding tubing so it can slide into the barrel of the crossbow with little friction.
Posted Image
Now stick it in and glue it there.
Posted Image
Now get your electrical condiut again and glue one of the halves to both the back of the turret and the top of the barrel.
You can now put on the other half if you want, but it is not needed.
It should look like this when done.
Posted Image
FOIL and its namesake.
Posted Image
I do not know ranges yet as it was dark outside when it was finished, but when I was doing tests with single barrels and used one of the barrels I am using now it got mid-80s.
There is no air loss in the turret, so it prolly the same.
Anything?
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#2 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

Nice mod, but if I ever got my hands on one of those, I'd keep it looking like a crossbow, because well, crossbow's are awesome. How accurate is it?

#3 Guest_CornMan_*

Guest_CornMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:40 AM

How much does it cost, do you have to order it online, or what? Man, that is one freakin humondo plunger! Use cpvc for the barrels. But overall, a kickass mod. <_<

Edited by CornMan, 10 November 2007 - 01:44 AM.

#4 pwnchu

pwnchu

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:34 AM

lol, i saw one at my friend's house, he was like "yeah, its my brothers toy".
I was thinking, no way that would work for nerf.

Nice mod.

how hard is it to cock? It seemed pretty hard in its normal state, if i remember.

#5 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

Plenty accurate, enough to hit a person 70 feet away easily.
It cost me about 5$ for this gun, I am going to go out and get another when I get some time.
I just bought from an average toy store.
When stock it is easier to cock than a stock longshot, so, really easy. Now it is just normal, kinda like cocking a longshot with a NF spring added.
-Dr. Suess

#6 hard rockr

hard rockr

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

What toy store did you buy it from?
:D
As Slash of GN'R says,"Any one can play guitar, but only the best can succeed."

#7 last man standin

last man standin

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:01 AM

You can currently get these frmo toys "R" us for 5-10$. My friend and I did a very similar mod to his and put a punch of painted PVC on it so it looks like a asshole rifle :)

Edited by last_man_standin_, 11 November 2007 - 09:01 AM.

Black Masks & Gasoline

#8 last man standin

last man standin

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:01 AM

double post. My bad.

Edited by last_man_standin_, 11 November 2007 - 09:01 AM.

Black Masks & Gasoline

#9 Yakkers

Yakkers

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

I've seen these nowhere but Toys R Us. so I'd suggest looking there first. Nice mod by the way, it seem to have a lot of potential for cosmetics too, since it's just the plunger tube, so all sorts of grips, handles, stocks, etc. could be added to turn it into just about anything.

#10 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

The only problem is that the trigger is far in the back, and is only facing down like normal if you charge guns with your right hand, which I don't. So for me it is a pinkie trigger. Another thing that pisses me about it is that you can't take out the plunger head with anything short of cutting the plunger tube open, and the said plunger head has a bad seal. Not too bad, but not airtight.

Edited by nerfturtle, 11 November 2007 - 12:48 PM.

-Dr. Suess

#11 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

Speaking of which, I discovered on my LS that the main seal comes from the plastic plunger head. The O-Ring doesn't even touch the plunger tube.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#12 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:01 PM

Speaking of which, I discovered on my LS that the main seal comes from the plastic plunger head. The O-Ring doesn't even touch the plunger tube.

Yeah, the stock O-ring is pretty useless. If I remember correctly, I added another one, so the rubber actually seals.

Nice mod Nerfturtle. I remember seeing one of these at a Toys R' US, but being too cheap to buy one (I remember it costing more). I hope they still have one.

Also, a side note: I've found that a piece of crayola marker fits well over the "air input" of an AT2k turret and (with the addition of a little electrical tape) fits tightly in a CPVC coupler. Just, you know, putting that out there in case anyone wants to know. *shrugs*

Edit:
Also, about the trigger position...maybe someone could try a version of the (if I remember the correct term) extended relocated clothespin trigger.

Edited by jwasko, 11 November 2007 - 09:22 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users