Photo

High Altitude Nerfing

Questions found inside

4 replies to this topic

Poll: High Altitude NERF War

If there were a High Altitude NERF war in Southeastern Idaho I would...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

Alright, so I've been NERFing for many years, but most of that was near Seattle's Puget Sound. I now live in southeastern Idaho at an elevation of around 5000'. In the summer, NERFing conditions are prime. My darts fly fast and straight and I hit moving targets at 70' consistently (I realize that is much more difficult at sea-level). The downside is winter, where temperatures often drop below zero. I'm not too worried about the ranges...I can live with a sharp decrease as long as everybody else's gun also are limited...My concern is the effect that the cold might have on the structure of the gun. So here's a question for guys that have NERFed in freezing temperatures or who have a firm grip on physics and its real world application on NERF guns:

If I'm NERFing in sub-freezing temperatures (as low as single digits, but mostly in the twenties) should I be worried about the plastic in my guns becoming rigid and breaking? I use mostly air pump guns (primarily AT3k's, AT2k's, and SM1.5k's) but I do use some spring powered guns as well. I don't worry too much about the spring guns, but if I start blowing out tanks in my plugged SM1.5k's, I won't be a happy NERFer. If anybody can help me out, please do.

Also, while on the topic of High Altitude NERFing (sounds like it belongs on a T-shirt), I'm wondering if anybody out there would be interested in attending a Southeastern Idaho NERF War. It would either be in late March/early April or September/October. For those of you who haven't had such a blessed experience, imagine your 80' primaries firing 110'. I know most NERFers are concentrated on the two coasts, but there are those of you who don't mind travelling. I can guarantee twenty local people (they are in good NERFing shape though as we play twice monthly) so it would be worthwhile for anybody who could make it. I know it's a long way off, but I'm just wondering if anybody would be interested in coming and if it's even a real possibility. Thanks guys!

Edited by imaseoulman, 09 November 2007 - 08:54 AM.

#2 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

I would at least look into ii, can't say the chances i would actually come would be very high, but I would look into it. You should post some pictures of your battle ground, I recall they sounded pretty sweet.

I might be a little more careful with air powered blasters in the winter.

#3 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:10 PM

Well if it is cold enough, you have a good enough seal, and high enough pressure you got yourself basicly a frag grenade. Its low chances. So don't worry.

I'm wondering, is it like a plateu of some sort thats high up and level, or do you just live on a mountain?
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#4 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

Well if it is cold enough, you have a good enough seal, and high enough pressure you got yourself basicly a frag grenade. Its low chances. So don't worry.

I'm wondering, is it like a plateu of some sort thats high up and level, or do you just live on a mountain?

It's more of a valley than anything else...but the lowest part of the valley (at least anywhere near where I live) is 4800'.

#5 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

I don't think you'd have a problem with the newer guns; the plastic is pretty thick (and by pretty thick, I mean thicker than some of the other children's toys out there that break in warm air).

As for the war, I'd probably attend if it was over the summer or a school break and if we could get a carpool going.

Good to hear from you (though I haven't been around if you've posted anything else...).
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users