Photo

Single Tek Mod

13 replies to this topic

#1 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

So the other day I went to TRU and found a pack containing two Big Blasts and four missiles. I was sold, but thought the price was a little steep ($30) until I looked more closely and noticed that it had two Single Teks too.

Posted Image

I figured they might be an interesting bonus and even if they sucked that I'd still have the Big Blasts. I thought it might be fun to do a little writeup on them, so here it is.

Materials

Single Tek
3.5" of PETG or whatever you use
Electrical tape
Epoxy/Goop/super glue/hot glue
Exacto knife
Dremel with a sanding bit
Saw or a cutting wheel

Procedure

Here's a closer look at the guns.

Posted Image

They've got some nice little ammo holders that fit my Stefans nicely, three on each gun:

Posted Image

Upon opening one of them I was pleasantly surprised to find that the pieces holding the pin that cocks the gun in place are much stronger than the Mav's, but the pin itself will still bend after use.

Posted Image

My first priority was getting the plunger tube out to see how the seal was and in doing so found that the barrel is connected to the tube and has a big fat restrictor in it, like most Buzz Bee guns.

Posted Image

So I made that look more like this:

Posted Image

That little plastic tab coming out the side of the barrel stub is a problem, so that needs to be gotten rid of with an exacto knife and a file of some sort. I used a pair of shitty toenail clippers and an emery board though, because they were close by.

Posted Image

Then I wrapped a thin layer of e-tape around the barrel stub and super glued my PETG on there like so:

Posted Image

With a new barrel the gun wouldn't fit back together, so I Dremeled the front of the case until it went from looking like this...

Posted Image

...to this.

Posted Image

The seal in the plunger tube was pretty good already but just for good measure I added some e-tape around the plungerhead to make it perfect, using a paper clip to take off the o-ring and replacing it over the tape:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The mod was simple enough, but I struggled for two hours trying to put the thing back together. It uses an expansion spring just like the Scout or Mav to pull the slide back into its original position after it's cocked, so that needs to be stretched over two little tabs, one on the cocking slide and one in the shell:

Posted Image

And the orange catch mech needs to be in the right position, being pushed up against the toothed side of the plunger rod by the metal piece in the gun. This was what gave me trouble.

Posted Image

Once they're reassembled you can hardly tell they've been modded! I love the cleanness of PETG.

Posted Image

I haven't measured ranges and don't really plan to, but they're pretty decent for the guns' size, probably somewhere in the low 40s. The thing I love about these guns is how small and pocketable they are and how easy they are to cock. The only drawbacks are the little shitty handles and the fact that they shoot slightly upward at close ranges, but that can be lessened with a firm grip and completely alleviated by holding the gun with two hands.

I recommend these guns if you can find them for less than an NF, or if you're just looking for a cheap little pistol that is easily modded and can get decent ranges. They make decent stock guns too.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 03 November 2007 - 10:10 PM.

SexD Warves

#2 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

Oh man, that's sweet. Two big blasts and two of these guys? I need to make it to TRU more often...

Clean mod. Glad to see you're still in the swing of things.

#3 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

I didn't see them when I went today (holiday shopping for outlaws), but I wish they had them!

I like how easy the mod is, and the ranges. I saw these in sears with a levatating target thing...

How big are they to nf's?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#4 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:38 PM

They're probably about the same size as an NF, but the ammo holders don't stick out as far and get in the way. If you can afford it you should just get an NF and PPK it, as it will be just as easy to put in a pocket, but the shape of th Teks just makes them easy to shove in and pull out quickly.

You could probably stick some SSPBs in the place of the ammo holders if you took them out (they're just simple plastic pieces inside the shell) for more shots at the cost of size.
SexD Warves

#5 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

Three ammo holders, three barrels on an SMDTG...

Good mod, NM. Except you didn't mention anything about the spring. Can it be replaced with any common ones (NF, TTG, Mav, etc.)? It seems like you didn't even bother with it.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#6 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

So this is what you were talking about the other night.

Looks like a great set! I would like to see how large the spring is, though. It seems like the ranges are similar to the nerf Scout.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#7 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:45 AM

Could you get some pics of the full inside of the gun?
QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#8 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

Really, only low 40's? I got 50-60 feet with a 3.5" cpvc barrel replacement on my Laser Tek.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#9 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

Awesome job man! I love the new big blast colors. Blashemy: I belive the lazer tech has a slightly more powerful plunger system.

EDIT: Nerf monkey, any idea if K- Mart sells them?

Edited by All Star, 04 November 2007 - 09:37 AM.

"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish"

- DR. SEUSS

" Would you eat them on a train, would you eat them on a plane?"

- SAM I AM

#10 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

Awesome job man! I love the new big blast colors. Blashemy: I belive the lazer tech has a slightly more powerful plunger system.

No, I don't think so. That's one of the things about Buzz Bee guns, they tend to use universal parts, I've found the plunger tube sizes are exactly the same on the Laser Tek, Tek 6, and Tek 10, The insides of this gun looked like they were no exception, the only difference between this and the Laser Tek is the flashlight and color schemes.

Edited by Blasphemy, 04 November 2007 - 12:43 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#11 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

That is weird. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edited by All Star, 04 November 2007 - 01:53 PM.

"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish"

- DR. SEUSS

" Would you eat them on a train, would you eat them on a plane?"

- SAM I AM

#12 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

Those Big Blasts sure are funky, good job with the mod.

#13 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

I can't find these anywhere. I've been searching for like, a year. Literally. I found the new version of the Tek 6. It's so small, and it's blue and yellow and stuff. But it's so tiny, almost the size of a NF. I wasn't able to get a pic of it because I didn't have anything on me, not even my cellphone. But when I go back next time, I will take a pic of it. Unless anyone has seen it too. Oh, and what length of any barrel material would be level with the tip of the gun, instead of extending out of the shell?
kthxbaisend

#14 fopiane

fopiane

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

No, I don't think so. That's one of the things about Buzz Bee guns, they tend to use universal parts, I've found the plunger tube sizes are exactly the same on the Laser Tek, Tek 6, and Tek 10, The insides of this gun looked like they were no exception, the only difference between this and the Laser Tek is the flashlight and color schemes.

the reason they do that is so they only have to have one type of machine running and producing unlike nerf but buzzbee is well face it you can get 2 big blasts and 2 single teks for the price of a longshot (30$) meaning they are cheaper......lol and using only one machine for 3 plunger tubes in 3 guns just saves $$$$$$$$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users