Stretching Springs

Help

9 replies to this topic

#1 nerfalchemist

nerfalchemist

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

Recently I bought a modded nitefinder from Mod Man with the intention of striping it of its spring, stretching it and putting it in my longshot (Sorry for the run on sentence) but I could not stretch the spring barehanded. Is stretching this spring possible and/or how should I stretch it?

It's like saying that your bottled water has a secret ingredient! Well yes, water!

#2 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:45 PM

In a word, don't.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#3 Militant Panda

Militant Panda

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

Stretching springs gives you a temporary gain in power, however the spring will quickly return to its normal state and will often become weaker. It's generally easier and a better idea to replace the spring or band the gun. Slap a heavy duty rubber band on that bad boy and you'll have the same effect.

#4 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

You most definitely can't just "slap a rubber band" on a longshot. It would be much more complicated than that and not worth the trouble. Just buy a spring from here, and cut it in half. Be sure to add some padding to the end of your plunger tube though.

Edited by Dr. Moose, 01 November 2007 - 08:22 PM.

QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Apr 29 2008, 01:24 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kid Flash @ Apr 27 2008, 06:11 PM) View Post

What is the best way to go at removing a stump without any power tools? Thanks ahead of time!

Be a man! Use your hands!

#5 Militant Panda

Militant Panda

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

Whoops :lol: I only saw the part about the nitefinder. Either way, follow Dr. Moose's advice

#6 nerfalchemist

nerfalchemist

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

You most definitely can't just "slap a rubber band" on a longshot. It would be much more complicated than that and not worth the trouble. Just buy a spring from here, and cut it in half. Be sure to add some padding to the end of your plunger tube though.

What can I cut it with?

It's like saying that your bottled water has a secret ingredient! Well yes, water!

#7 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

Wire cutters, hacksaw, bolt cutters, etc.
~AJAQ~

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

Bolt cutters, a bandsaw, hydraulic scissors will all work. If you take the spring to a hardware store and ask REALLY nicely they might cut it for you in the department where they sell chain.

Cutting that spring in half would result in it still be too long to work in the longshot. You have to trim it to around 4-3/4 inches.

Frankly for someone new to the hobby the Longshot is one of THE worst guns to try and modify.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 01 November 2007 - 08:44 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#9 nerfalchemist

nerfalchemist

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

Bolt cutters, a bandsaw, hydraulic scissors will all work. If you take the spring to a hardware store and ask REALLY nicely they might cut it for you in the department where they sell chain.
Cutting that spring in half would result in it still be too long to work in the longshot. You have to trim it to around 4-3/4 inches.

Thank you, it's clear what i have to do now.

Frankly for someone new to the hobby the Longshot is one of THE worst guns to try and modify.

I know but I like challenges.

#10 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Ahh. My bad. It's been a long time since I did my longshot and I guess my mind was somewhere else. Thanks sluggy.
QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Apr 29 2008, 01:24 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kid Flash @ Apr 27 2008, 06:11 PM) View Post

What is the best way to go at removing a stump without any power tools? Thanks ahead of time!

Be a man! Use your hands!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users