Help

Broken pump

12 replies to this topic

#1 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

So, i was integrating my SM1500 into my Big Blast today and sometime during this, the pump snapped in two.

Posted Image

As you can see there is a little plastic tube like thing between the check valve and the hose that runs to the air tank. I have tried a few things evolving hot glue and E-tape but nothing has worked. Any ideas for a fix or am I screwed? Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Scroll down, post #11

Edited by Matt31, 03 November 2007 - 12:56 PM.

"Yet another nominee for the douche bag of the year award." -FA24

"Who the hell died and made everyone the Nerf prophet?" -Piney

#2 Kenpachi Taicho

Kenpachi Taicho

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

I would try duct tape, purely because duct tape can fix everything. Hot glue would be to hard to make sure everything holds while it dries, and E-tape is no good when it comes to an air tight seal. Just remember, duct tape could even fix the government!

#3 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

If you want anything to be air-tight, you're going to stop using shotty adhesives.

Plumbers goop or epoxy are pretty much the only options for high-pressure sealing.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#4 karpenter63

karpenter63

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:11 PM

I don't know too much, but it doesn't look good to me.

I'm not sure you'll ever get the pump working perfectly again, but I would suggest at least trying this. Hot glue the pieces back together, this will make a good seal along the crack. Then wrap the glued pump profusely with duct tape, but I would suggest ripping it into smaller strips, instead of using the entire thickness of a normal roll of duct tape.
Nerf...my anti-drug

Frappr - Nerfers United

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

If it were a structural part that didn't need to hold pressure it could be fixed by adding a buttress of another material like aluminum. But when plastic fails structurally it can't really be fixed.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

A bleak outlook :) , however I'll just try a few things hopefully it will work. Thanks for the replies.

#7 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:28 PM

Cut it off completely, buy a .5 in. dowel from a craft store. Cut it to the right size, and use plumbers goop to connect to sraight to the pump head.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#8 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:17 PM

My god it is like the blind leading the blind. (except for frost - he's on the right track) Duct tape? Electical tape? Aluminum? Wood dowels? Good grief people! This is a simple fix. Here is what you do. Get some vinal tubing (go go hardware store) that will fit over the nubs left by the break, and some plumbers goop. Use the tubing to splice the parts back together and the goop to seal it all nicely. Be sure you let it dry a good long while and you may want to use a small hose clamp to tighten things down.

A second and much simpler approach is to cut the hose and plumbers goop it to the longer nub coming directly off the pump, again I'd recommend you use a hose clamp.

Yet another solution you can try is to get new pump from another gun. If you can find a smaller super soaker this time of year, they often have identical pumps, again just splice the hoses together.

Good luck, this should be fixable.

BTW For those of you who remember me, I'm still around lurking, but haven't much to contribute. Have to say though I continue to be impressed by some of the mods coming out (you people know who you are). Haven't had the time to nerf a lot, or the money to spend on guns and modding supplies. (still need to get a LS) Any way nerf on people.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#9 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

After thinking about it today I came up with the same solution J_cobbers did. However the tubing that the gun was built with, is too small to fit over the nub, so I will find some new tubing, fix'er up and get this thing on the mod/paint thread.

#10 hard rockr

hard rockr

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:40 AM

Dude get some plastic super glue and glue it along the crack then wrap it in e tape. Also you could get like a staw like thing and glue it in the inside and have it like reinforce it.
As Slash of GN'R says,"Any one can play guitar, but only the best can succeed."

#11 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

Not a good week for me and pumps, now my Buzz Bee Big Blast pump is acting up on me. It takes about 20-30 pumps before I get any pressure at all. The pump is plugged, thats the only thing I've done to it. Possible fixes?

#12 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

The firing pin is probebly being pulled back prematurely. What happens is that, since the pump, tank, and barrel are all connected in a line, moving the pump can move the rest of the assembly slightly. That may be just enough to pull back the firing pin and crack open the valve, since the trigger will not move with the pin. Glue the assembly into the gun or glue PVC spacers onto the parts to prevent this from happening.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#13 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users