Photo

Warhammer

5 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

Well I've been interested in this for a while, and I'm going to ask for a kit for Christmas, which begs the question: 40k or Fantasy? (Don't get me wrong, I love LOTR, but I'd rather have one of these)
I like both, but I can't make up my mind. I was also wondering if anyone here has made playing fields, because my dad works with the Pink stuff they make them with and I wanted to see if anyone had certain techniques or something.

#2 anders

anders

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

I used to play warhammer 40k before I started nerfing. Building and customizing tanks and such is really fun but it's really fucking expensive, thats why I quit.

My advise to you is not to start with it, but if you really want to go with 40k since they are look nicer and there are no tanks in fantasy.
QUOTE(VACC @ Aug 16 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post

Does posting in agreement somehow validate your standing in the community? Personally I think it just makes you look like a tool.

the el snapo again

#3 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

I know a kid who won a bunch of tourneys for this. It looked cool, but I think it is too expensive.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#4 karpenter63

karpenter63

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

I used to play. I probably spent about 200$ on the game, and I barely ever play. So before you get into it, make sure there are some people that you can play with, or you'll just be wasting your money.
Nerf...my anti-drug

Frappr - Nerfers United

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts
  • Fucks Given:0
  • State:California

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

I play Warhammer 40K with a group of friends back home when I visit my parents or come back for holidays / breaks. I have a small Tau Hunter Cadre force, no more than 500 points worth of models. It's really a blast to play if you find a good group of folks to play with you, but as it has been mentioned before it is a fairly expensive hobby.

I enjoy it more-so for the challenge of painting the miniatures. On the other end of the spectrum, one of my friends loves winning and playing massive battles and thus his miniatures aren't painted at all. Since I don't play that often and take alot more time painting than actually playing the game, my force is pretty small - but the cool thing is I can still play small, legitimate games. Here's some units in my army that I finished this past summer:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I've made a modular city out of cardboard, plasticard, plastic model scraps, and other random bits you find around the house. I weathered and painted it myself, and even printed out little posters and signs for the large industrial buildings. It's alot of fun to do and as nerdy as it might sound, also really makes the overall gameplay better and more exciting.

If I could steer you away from Warhammer Fantasy, I would. I don't like that game one bit. There are still alot of gothic, medieval elements found within 40K that make it unique. If you need help picking or choosing an army, shoot me a PM or find me on AIM.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#6 Fireshot

Fireshot

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

Posted Image

That Piranha is amazing.

Warhammer is great to play if you can find a group, or a game shop, to play with/at regularly. Though it is quite expensive (a pack of 5 models cost 30-40 dollars, a starter set can be over 200).

Oh, and . . .

*cough*Chaosmarines*cough*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users