Biggest Salvo

Write Up

16 replies to this topic

#1 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

I will be teaching you how to mod the Big Salvo into the Biggest Salvo. It is a pretty easy mod to complete and it should take you about 45 minutes + drying time.

These are the materials that are required.
Posted Image
1. Big Salvo
2. Dremel
3. Pipe Cutter
4. 10' Of 1/2" CPVC
5. Sanding Bit For Dremel
6. Epoxy
7. 1/2" CPVC Coupler
8. 1/2" CPVC Elbow (In the picture it's a PVC because I ran out of them)
9. Hacksaw
10. Screwdrivers that fit the different sized screws
11. Hot Glue Gun (not pictured)

The first thing you want to do if you haven't done it already is to snap of the original four black barrels. I do not have a picture of this but I basically snapped it off before I took the gun apart.

The next step is to take the gun apart. Do this by unscrewing the screws outside of the shell. There is no prying that you need to do. After you get the screws out take the two shells apart.
Posted Image

Now you will need to take the trigger out. Do this by unscrewing the screws highlighted in green in this photo.
Posted Image

To get the trigger out pull it straight out and make sure the O-Ring is still attached.
Posted Image

Now pull out three of the four air tanks. The one that you don't pull out is screwed in so you have to unscrew these highlighted screws.
Posted Image

Pull out the blue piece of plastic that was holding it in and then pull out the air tank. Pull the pump out and the internals out of the gun minus the trigger should look like this but ignore the couplers.
Posted Image

Now take your four couplers and your four air tanks and epoxy one coupler onto each air tank. I did this by putting the epoxy into a plastic plate and then mixed and spread it with a cue tip.
Posted Image

While it dries you should start cutting the barrels. My one piece CPVC barrels are 11" long. I cut them with a pipe cutter and then sanded them down.
Posted Image

Now to make the Y shaped barrel you should follow this excellent guide to make the barrel and just the barrel http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=7576&hl= and it will look like this.
Posted Image

You probably figured out that the coupler won't fit in the stock barrel holes so take the Dremel and the sanding drumb and start to sand out the four holes. (Don't accidentally sand the pump hole)
Posted Image

Edited by Foam_Shooter, 28 October 2007 - 05:59 PM.

#2 hard rockr

hard rockr

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Okay, why the fuck are your pictures so big?
As Slash of GN'R says,"Any one can play guitar, but only the best can succeed."

#3 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Awesome! Where did you find the blue version of the B.S.? ALSO: You should make your pics a lot smaller.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish"

- DR. SEUSS

" Would you eat them on a train, would you eat them on a plane?"

- SAM I AM

#4 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

Isn't this the same as the Bigger Salvo? What makes it biggEST?

Edited by lionhead333, 28 October 2007 - 06:06 PM.

QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#5 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

Now that has started the barrel holders but you need it wider if you're a perfectionist. Take scissors or the blade attatchment thing on the pipe cutter and bore out the barrel holders.
Posted Image

Now reassemble the gun and it will be finished in all of it's glory.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lionhead333: I named this the BigEST Salvo because on the Bigger Salvo you could only use the Y shaped barrel but on this gun you can switch it out for the long one piece barrels or you could have a mix of one piece barrels and Y shaped barrels.

All Star: Thank you and I got this at some discount store at Cape Cod. They also had and Ultimator that I hid in an unknown part of the store until I get some more money. Haha I'm so evil, I took it out of a kids shopping cart while he wasn't looking.

Edited by Foam_Shooter, 28 October 2007 - 07:44 PM.

#6 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:23 PM

Glad to see a reference to my mod.

Looks good, I'd imagine the longer barrels give you better ranges. I'm pretty happy with mine for right now though, 1/2 CPVC fits inside the stock barrels almost perfectly, so I can use any barrel that is close to that size OD. Couplers do allow for lots of possibilities thouh.

Nice job overall.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#7 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

Thank you very much Cmdrmack. I didn't think about it until I posted it but I should have asked for your premission to use your write up.

#8 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

Thank you very much Cmdrmack. I didn't think about it until I posted it but I should have asked for your premission to use your write up.

Not a problem. You don't need permission to cite a source, just to copy and paste the material. It's up for anybody to read, I appreciate the advertisement. Hopefully more folks will start using Big Salvos.

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#9 Guest_CornMan_*

Guest_CornMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:50 PM

Yo, Foam-Shooter, that wasn't cool, taking a Nerf gun from some little kid's cart. But then again, it depends how old the kid was. How old was he? I mean, im like 13, and i would be prettey ticked off, and some little 10 year old kid would be bawlin. But I gotta say man, that is a pretty sweet lookin' mod.

Edited by CornMan, 28 October 2007 - 06:51 PM.

#10 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

CornMan: He should have been watching his cart more carefully. :( If it were a NiteFinder I would have let it go but it was a freaking Big Salvo.

#11 AODL

AODL

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

Anything on range and accuracy for this thing? How many pumps would it take to prime?

I just ordered a BS from Amazon, and I want to figure out as much as possible on these beasts.

I don't really undestand why General Cole is making articles of clothing with my name on it. First it frightened me, but after a few hours I got over it. It seems obvious that General Cole is hoping to have sex with me.

#12 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

I plugged my pump and for maximum range I pump it 60 times but I would reccomend 40 pumps. That theoretically 10 pumps per air tank. The point of this mod was not accuracy although the single piece barrels are pretty accurate with stefans and streamlines. I tried to test ranges but they went out of the 120' range and into the woods in my backyard resulting in me losing four streamlines. I shot the Y shaped barrels all at once and they went about 80' and it was very beastly. It was like a wall of foam and once it got to about 40' it seriously made a little "voom" sound and they all spread out to about an 8' spread. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen. I will probably get official ranges by Tuesday and a video of the Y shaped barrel is possible by next weekend or so.

#13 Kenpachi Taicho

Kenpachi Taicho

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

Nice mod, nice write up, and nice steal from the little kid! I agree, it's not your fault he wasn't watching over the un-purchased nerf items in his cart.

I was also completely amused by the sparkly picture, I like shiny things.

Edited by Kenpachi_Taicho, 29 October 2007 - 09:32 AM.

#14 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

It has been a while since anyone has posted in this thread so I decided to update it with the status of the gun with some ranges and videos of it firing.

The ranges on the single piece barrels are of the following with 40 pumps (this is not in the order in which they were shot)
1. 135'
2. 137'
3. 145'
4. 148'
Average: 138.75'

Now with the split barrels which were not planned to go far:
1. 44'
2. 47'
3. 50'
4. 56'
5. 56'
6. 57'
7. 58'
8. 62'
These ranges are more then acceptable because they had a spread of about 5'-7', it was hard to tell.

And here are the videos.
Nerf Biggest Salvo On The Receiving End

Nerf Biggest Salvo in Barrel Shot

#15 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

40 pumps is a lot for a Big Salvo in my experience, My bigger salvo gets the same ranges you are getting with the split barrels but with only 10 pumps.

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#16 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

Perhaps you should shorten the "stem" of the t-shaped barrels.

In other words go from this:
l l
l l
L__ l
l
l
l

To this:
l l
l l
L__ l
l

In fact you could make it so short that the coupler glued to the air chamber touches the "T" coupler. It will reduce the "dead" air space and might get you a few extra feet.

IN any case, it's a great mod...very clean.

Now I really wish I had picked up that BS I saw at Toys 'R Us that one time...I didn't realize they could get such good ranges!

Edit: Well, my ASCII art didn't work out, but I hope you can get the idea.

Edited by jwasko, 19 November 2007 - 09:08 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#17 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:39 PM

Sorry the split barrels were on 15 pumps. I didn't clarify that. I will be double checking this tommorow because I also found a very small leak but it is now fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users