Longshot Basic Mod's

Unsure... Just got it.

20 replies to this topic

#1 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

Hey all, I just purchased the BAMF Nerf Longshot. I am unsure however on a few details on modifying it.

When it comes out of the box, the 'bolt' that you slide back and forth is in two pieces. If I snap them together, will I be able to get it apart again? Is it worth it? And is the metal bar salvageable?

And can the front gun be used for ANYTHING useful??? It is SO WORTHLESS. Bleck.

I'll update with more as I progress.

~TCIND
It is impossible to govern a country with 120 different types of cheese.

#2 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

The bolt is pretty easy to pry apart: I just used a flat screwdriver. I dont know any reason that the metal bar would be damaged.

As for the front gun: there are a few mods:
-cutting off the top and makeing it into more of a sidearm
or
-you can take it and attach it to the bottom of the gun where the bi-pod went

Neither of these mods are worth the time (in my book) But I have a few ideas of my own but they require some exprimentation and I dont wanna screw up the first time and not get a second shot at it. So If you decide not to do anything you could send it to me :P ...please

Edited by elf_avec_gun, 10 October 2006 - 10:25 PM.

"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#3 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the offer! I think I'll take you up on it. PM me ok?

Also, thanks for the tips.

~TCIND

#4 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:50 AM

Sorry for the double post,

Hey, what can you do if the screw you're trying to get out becomes stripped?

There's two screws that just WONT come out, and are giving be a headache...

~TCIND

Edited by TheCheatIsNotDead, 11 October 2006 - 01:50 AM.

#5 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:55 AM

You can always drill out stripped screws.
Yes I know it sucks but sometimes that is the only way.

#6 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

Damn... I'm having trouble with this one... it's complicated.

How do I remove the air restrictors? The other posts just say to dremel them out, but the post is like, two inches down, which is WAY WAY out of my Dremel's reach (I have a Dremel Stylus).

Is there some other way to drill it out? Or some way to get it completely off the parts it is seemingly attached to?

Sorry If I'm being vague...

~TCIND

#7 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:43 PM

Stop signing your posts. We can tell who wrote the post using your name and avatar. You and parethesis, bracket Sfg lt. mjr general PAT bracket close parentheis.....whatever drive me nuts. Either don't sign it or put it in your signature.
I hate you.

#8 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

I'm sorry. I've done that with every board I've ever been on, and I don't REALLY see anything horribly wrong with it...

My grammar is usually good, and I try to use proper punctuation, both which I believe are more important.

But does anyone really know what to do with the air restrictor?

Thank you in advance.

#9 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:24 PM

I just removed the Air Restrictors on my gun a little while ago... I didnt have a dremel though. You can drill it out threw the back plunger part (where the plunger is in) Just take a 1/2" drill bit and drill though a bit, but you gotta be careful or you might hit a wall, screw it up etc. It took my 40 minutes to get that stupid piece out of there.

#10 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

A hack saw blade might work, give that a shot you can get them at Wal-Mart or any hardware store if you don't have one.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#11 funkyjake

funkyjake

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

I think a hacksaw is probably not quite the tool for the job. I believe for my air restrictor I simply grabbed it with pliers and twisted it out.

P.S. I suggest you sign your posts if you damn well please, because it hardly matters.

#12 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:42 AM

DAMN!!!

The longshot is a (censored)!

I took it apart just to see the internals, hardly messed with the insides at all, and put it back together... It's so screwed up. It like grinds when I cock the mechanism, and the viewing flap is not good at opening, and the darts get jammed...

AARGH.

I'm going to take it apart and put it back together again and hope that fixes it, because it's being a JERK.

~TCIND

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:15 AM

I took it apart just to see the internals, hardly messed with the insides at all, and put it back together... It's so screwed up. It like grinds when I cock the mechanism, and the viewing flap is not good at opening, and the darts get jammed...

AARGH.

You definitely did not reassemble it properly. My guess is that the power chamber is not seated. It has a little peg on it's right side that has to land in a little hole in the body shell in order for the bolt sled to also line up with it's slide track. If you can't be patient when assembling the longshot, then it's not a gun you should consider modding because it's very needy and particular about how things have to fit inside. You can tape the body shell closed to quickly test the alignment of the internals prior to reinstalling all the screws.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 October 2006 - 01:16 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#14 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:11 AM

The thing is I THOUGHT it was fitting in properly... I spent about a half hour just trying to get it back together.

But the idea of taping it together to test it IS a good one. Thanks for the advice.

Bleck. This has not been a good week...

~TCIND

#15 mavninja

mavninja

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

I had little trouble putting mine back together, and I noticed that a there are a bunch of unnecessary parts inside the gun. Just because I'm a minimalist, I took out the little "shot ready" indicatior that shows up by the back of the sight-rail. I also noticed that when I added a spring bought from Ace Hardware the front gun actually became useful in that it added accuracy. Im thinking of butchering it to do something similar to boltsniper's silencer-mod barrel extension, here. Thats all I've got.

And you were right, this thing is pretty BAMF

Edited by mavninja, 12 October 2006 - 01:22 PM.

#16 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

I've got two play preformances a day until saturday, four papers, four drawings, who-knows-what in Design 3D class, and a severe lack of sleep to deal with right now.

After saturday I'll get around to doing something...

~TCIND

#17 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:53 AM

Well, this topic is kinda dead, but I thought I'd update you guys a bit...

I FINALLY got around to opening up my longshot and fixing everything. Here's the current rundown:

-Removed REDICULOUS Bi-Pod (honestly)
-Removed overly large stock
-Hot glued and then taped both magazines end-to end
-Found these really nice washer things that work really nice for keeping the bolt securely in place, while also allowing easy removal for when I install a shotgun foregrip
-Extended the magazine release trigger for easier access.

Still coming up:
-Additional spring installment
-New barrel (if I can, it looks hard)
-Shotgun foregrip
-Air Restrictor Removal (It's really hard to get to!)

I'll have some pics soon.

Again this is a kinda old topic, so if you guys just want to let it die, you can.

~TCIND

#18 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

Use a drill to remove it. New barrel is really easy aswell, just take some sch40 pvc or something and stick it to where the bolt thingy area is. Oh, I am going to try to improve the bolt seal... it sucks.

#19 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:05 PM

Grrrr...

The extended trigger works REALLY REALLY well... when it's attached. It's broken off three times. What's the best way to attach two pieces of plastic permanantly that will result in a seal that can take alot of frequent use?

Like say, for a trigger.

Please?

~TCIND

#20 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:54 PM

In my homemade GNS, boltsniper's second pistol, i used CA glue, AKA super glue. Easily found at your local hobby store. It holds my trigger made from PVC sheeting to my metal trigger plate, no problems yet.

Most nerf guns plastic seem to be made of PVC to me, so the superglue should bond it nicely.

Just in case you were wondering, CA stands for cyanoacrylate.

#21 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:02 AM

Most nerf guns plastic seem to be made of PVC to me, so the superglue should bond it nicely.

Excluding the high pressure parts in air pressure guns (those parts are probably Nylon), Nerf gun parts are made out of ABS plastic.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users